Enclosed Ballast/Remote Ballast

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MauiFaka, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Hello, this is my introductory post to this site and I am quite glad to have found this place. I have searched and searched for the topic pertaining to what I need answered and come up empty on any searches for my question. I just bought a 250w hps/mh two-way with an enclosed ballast, I have yet to receive and setup the light to see what the temp. will be with it running inside my grow box. I was wondering if I would be able to make the enclosed ballast a remote ballast? This way the heat from the ballast will be on the exterior and not inside.Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

2. well short answerl, If you know electrical then Yes, but you asking that question leads me to belive you have no idea... so Dont mess with it man. Basicly you take the ballast apart, get a gage wire that would be sutiable and connect the socket to the leads for the light in the ballast. But Dont DYI man, Thats how ppl start fires. Your temps should be around 100* F I have a 400 and whats the temp so theres something to judge off.

3. Fair enough, I'm not a noob with electrical, just not an expert either. Would my best bet be to setup a fan blowing on the fixture and go with that? My plan is to first install and gauge temps and from there then decide my next step.Thank you for the time to reply.

4. Yeah, but just remember if you use a computer fan you have to use a 12V wire from a cell phone or drill charger, just wire red to red and black with some marrets and some tape and you should be good. But keep a CLOSE eye on everything for the first few hours and the first day to make sure its not over heating or melting wires or anything right.
    But thats what I did. get it in there, and then get the temp down from 100+ to 88. and my plants seem to love the heat. :D Lots of water, some nutes, and their a Beaut! :bongin:

5. Right on, yea I plan on spending a few days on making sure climate control is steady before I throw anything in to grow. Another question involving choice of fan to cool lighting, is it preferred to use computer fans vs. a smaller personal house fan that has a decent air cooling output? I have both at my disposal and was just curious if there's major or slight difference between the two. Sorry if these are lame questions but the internet is filled with some lame answers, just looking for the right solid advice. Btw, I have all other ventilation worked out for now, it's literally just waiting for the light to see what tweaks are needed. Thanks again.

6. If you have a full size fan and you can get it in there with out compromizing anything or putting too much wind on your plants, go for it. I would say if you have a tower fan thats ideal. Check out the FYI air cool tubes that are on here. I just have a small 6intch fan blowing directly on my light.. but honestly it could be stronger. I would like my temps around 75*F

7. My space is 6'h x 4'w x 2'd. I will have space pretty much for any fan then really. I have plans for more light to even out my light source for the entire unit. That part will be shortly later, just wanna get what I got up and running. I have read plenty on lighting and have gathered that another light source would serve me greatly.