Employee Stock Question

Discussion in 'General' started by k.smith904, Jan 5, 2010.

1. So this morning I went ahead and signed up for my job's (Wal-Mart) ESP. Just want to get some opinions on whether or not this is a good idea. Heres some info:

- Company matches 15 cents on the dollar for whatever you buy (up to 1800 a year)

- I have it set up so it puts $40 in every pay period (bi-weekly)

- $20 to liquidate, plus 5 cents for every share.

- Once my shares' worth reaches $2000.00, I am able to take out loans using stock as collateral for half of my net share value, at a low interest rate (around 1.5%) I can take out loans ranging between $1,000 and $100,000. (This is more of a non-issue for me, but if I need money for school for a semester or two, it may help)

- A little more than half of my income is disposable, so I won't really miss the $80 a month either way. As a matter of fact, my cell phone bill has dropped about $40, so I'll notice even less.

Here's a link to look at some Wal-Mart (WMT) stock trends and history:

Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) Stock Charts - Technical Analysis and Charting

So whatcha think? Savvy investor move or dumbass move?

2. I think thats good specially since the 15 cents to every dollar..

to my understanding if you buy a 1000 dollar tv from walmart...you get the 10% discount first right so then its only 900 and then 15 cents to every dollar would save you 135 so your 1000 dollar tv now is only 765?

I'm not sure if thats what it means by matching but if it does thats cool

if not its still a wise investment IMO but I know nothing about stocks haha but it can't be worse than gambling?

3. lol it really dont have much to do with buying anything from there, hes talking about investing in the company and what he gets out of it. which is not like a free tv here and there or a discount. haha. all about money bud

4. That would only be the case if I had the money I was using for the TV in stocks, then sold the stock to buy the TV.

But yes, it isn't as bad as gambling, but its pretty damn close. As long as I don't lose any money in the long run, I'm fine with it. And I don't see Wal-Mart stock plummeting any time soon. :)

5. Sounds like a very safe bet to me.

Major chain stores like Walmart, Target, and all the "super" stores always have high stocks that seem to never drop. I mean, they're never going to go bankrupt... that's promising :D