Emotional Response

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Hello there!, Sep 1, 2012.

1. #1 Hello there!, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    Today I was thinking on the ways in which people react with emotions, and made some (hopefully) logically inspired assumptions based on my experiences with people. Keep in mind the population of my subject is limited to NE and Texas.

Humor
    If used to make others laugh; demonstrates a desire for others' approval.
    If used to make self laugh; just wants to have fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A"]Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun - YouTube[/ame]

Felt relevant to the last sentence.

Anger
    If directed at others; feels victimized; prefers to be in control, by being the dominating factor in either a situation out of the individual's control, or by provoking a response to turn the situation around and regaining control through purposefully inciting conflict.
    If directed at self; feels unworthy of anyone's approval. A lack of self confidence.

Embarrassment
    If felt for others; perceives a mistake on their part. Possible superiority complex.
    If felt for self; believes they made a mistake and others will think less of them. Desire for approval.

Sadness
    If felt for others; recognizes a loss of another that has perceivably had a negative impact on them. Demonstrates mindfulness.
    If felt for self; has lost something of value to self. Attachment. Recognizance of what makes them happy.

Apathy
    If felt for others; cares nothing about them. It may be intended; the individual has a superiority complex, believing that they are better than everything currently perceivable. If it's unintended, feels apathetic toward self; deep emotional shock.
    If felt for self; deep emotional shock.

Encouragement
    If directed at others; altruistic desire for perceived progress.Mindful.
    If directed at self; believes in success through hard work.

Sarcasm
    Seeking attention. Attempting to prove self-worth to everyone around with the belief knowledge is the most important thing, and looking down on someone who misses a seemingly obvious clue in the situation. Lowered self-confidence, with a tough exterior.

One-Up
    Needs to be the best, and in control; competitive; feels a thrill from making a challenge and winning.

Ignorance
    Inability to control own thoughts; unintentional. Fails to 'fully experience the moment.'

Love (arguably interchangeable with Encouragement)
    Appreciation of surroundings and self.

Now as a disclaimer to hopefully divert some negativity: None of this is set in stone. It changes within different situations, with different relationship interactions throughout the group. It is meant to show the way people demonstrate subconscious feelings/outlooks out of habit. As I started typing this sentence, I started considering delving even deeper into this theory and trying to map all reactions to people with different relationships to each other with different variables in the group... We'll see how you guys respond to this.

Thoughts? Did I miss/do you disagree with anything? Where could I expand?

:smoke:

Edit: Hmm I seem to only have included responses to people. Well, I would theorize that any emotions directed toward objects are just reflections of the feelings toward the self. There could be more to this, but my brain needs a quickie break from this post :laughing:

2. damm sick post , its disturbing to see how much of a little bitch ass attention whore i can be

3. Haha, this isn't concrete stuff; when you think about it this way, do you believe I'm correct in my assumptions, or do you feel maybe I'm focusing too much on people craving attention? I found that to be a central theme in all of this. Thus I'm entertaining the idea that I may have been biased. I want to see if anyone can shed some light on it.

4. As human beings I think we live for connection and attention, so I don't think you focused too much on that.

5. Agreed. In today's day and age where individuality is becoming more prevalently promoted, is this detrimental or beneficial to the growth of humanity? Should we focus on ourselves first? It can be argued that we've created better chances to help our fellows out if we are ourselves at a secure place. Might there have been chances lost to help others in a greater way while you were busy building yourself?

I suppose I'm assuming helping others is beneficial to our growth. However, if you can't help yourself.. Ah, moderation.

6. Sure. What I can say is that in my experience, the best help I've received has always come from people who are still in that process. Come to think of it, do we ever finish building ourselves?

7. To finish is to decide you're done :smoke: I would say there are people who have finished, whether intentionally or not. I think the ability to block unwanted information is such a shame.. it shows a person's weakness and inhibits that lovely growth.

8. It's like some people choose to grow as an hourglass, letting as little in as they can as they get older. Building up these judgements and etc.

9. Maybe a result of arrogance? If you think you know it all, then you don't need to learn anything more.

10. Or we just get tired of it all. Ah, the contradictory impulses and ideas that come with being human... :smoke:

11. Can't even understand ourselves... hard to master knowledge of everything if you haven't mastered yourself.

12. I think that sums up the point we were getting at originally - it's hard to help others if you can't help yourself. Wait, was that the point? This is what I love about philosophy, haha.

13. :smoke: Me too man. It was the secondary point, first and foremost being emotional responses. Glad you recognized the successful completion of the circle we traveled :hello:

14. And what if you like making other people laugh while making yourself laugh and having fun at the same time? :smoke:

I liked this post - some interesting insight going on.

15. i had a feeling someone would say this; and i agree.

good posts all around

16. Depends on the intention - if it's for everyone to laugh and have fun, I would surmise it's an expression of pure altruistic enjoyment. I think for this to be a common occurrence, the individual would need to be self-confident enough to not worry about others' opinions of oneself, yet innocent enough to believe the majority of people find the same things funny.

Or perhaps the individual has discovered a common pattern between all humans, and knows how to manipulate the mechanics to receive a jovial response.

Hmm, I'm not as sure on this one as my OP; thanks for the input!

17. Doesn't everything. :smoke:

While I feel you have surmised well with the first paragraph, it's the second that I found interesting.

Perhaps in being able to feel, and therefore reflect, a frequency of vibration that is actually common in everyone, even though not everyone is aware it is there, allows that individual to get 'in tune' with people, so all can feel the fun, joy, of the moment, on whatever level works for them.

18. I've certainly known people who embodied this idea.

19. ive been told im a funny guy a few times and i feel like you got it right. when i try to be funny im using my thoughts more than the words kind of. like a telepathic hypnosis type joke you know what i meeaan???:smoke:

20. I think so. But not telepathic - I'd say more telempathic. A cross between telepathy and empathy. You're making an empathic connection, that allows you to connect in way that can seem like you're picking things up.