Emergency, Wind damage.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Jakimo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hey, Im new to being an active poster on GC.

I live in Montreal, have diagnosed crohn's and celiacs disease, have a license for marijuana smoking and growing. Hence, me the urban grower.

I grow on a hidden rooftop on my property legally. I cannot however access where I grow during daylight hours because of proximity to a school and daycare.

I have 2 problems with my setup and 1 is an emergency.

I have 4 plants about 4 feet tall in about 3.5 gallons of earth. They each have 4 to 6 main tops and another 4 to 6 smaller tops on the sides. So they have a large top. Everything was perfect with the season until the wind came out of nowhere this evening and shot up to 100km an hour during a thunderstorm.

I knew in my heart what was happening to my babies however could not run to their aide in time to stop the damage :(

Two of them are ok, look a little stunned, literally... but are ok.
    The other 2 are why im posting.
    The wind hit them hard enough to bend them 90 degrees to a full horizontal without turning the pots! I watered recently and that alone I feel has torn all my plants main root systems. Devastating yes, however very hard to see coming after a perfect season.

I brought them down and when I hold them up, they just fall back to the bent shape. They are bending from inside the pot. No stalk is broken or turn. They are just quite loose in their pots. Loose like when your find a plant who's roots have rotted away "loose". I did some examining and see that they are still firmly rooted and not coming out easily, just super easy to move and bend in the way the wind did.

Im worrying that the wind turn or separated their main root system and that once again mother nature has stuck it to me.

They have been taken down and I am tying them to triple stick formations. I am here for them however need you guys to give me a hand here. Based off the info I posted has anyone ever been through this?
    Does anyone know if this is normal/defense mechanism to wind?
    Or if they got torn and have a short life before they rot away?
    They are in their first week of budding and this is quite sad. Any takers?

Im on my way to the hydro store tomorrow to deal with a PH problem of 5 in my earth in some of them. Getting lime to feed them in the next feed. If anyone can get back to me soon enough, ill be able to pick out supplies I might need.

Sinfuckingcirly, me, the urban grower. :devious:

2. If more description of my babies is required, I will be posting pics tomorrow when I get some.

3. bump, anyone got any ideas?

4. I just had a friend who's plants got completely uprooted and were laying on the ground. Wind is one of the only things your cant really prevent especially at a higher altitude. What your doing now is perfect, Tie them up so they are standing straight up, maybe pack the earth down a tad bit so that they are some what sturdy. I would immediately go out and buy some super thrive to help prevent some of the stress that they will have. They are definitely going to have some stunted grown but in the next week or two you will know if they are going to live.
    Hope this helps

5. Surprisingly I believe your plants will be OK, as you have a rather large pot in which they sit, you can only surmise the rootball is quite large, as you tender these plants regularly, then one can also surmise that they are healthy, will bend yes, will break yes, but if you can get to them once the wind has died down and correct any faults then I think you will be OK ..biggest hassle here is dehydration, in which the damaged plant is raped of any moisture, during this torrent, I'd immediately foilar feed, with air temperature water and 1/2 nute solution, and bandage any wounds with gaffer tape.

good luck report back

"V"