Emergency blanket as an alternative to myler?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by yorkweed, Feb 25, 2013.

1. As the subject read. I have found an emergency blanket that looks to be the same look as myler. Can anyone confirm if it is the same thing? I'm looking to use it for my grow box and obviously this would be a very cheap route for me.

2. Far better to use flat white paint, is cheaper and fun ..lol

"V"

3. Use the blanket bro.. it is mylar, 97% reflection.. the paint is a good idea as well, but the mylar is superior.. either way it will work but if its available, use the mylar.. oddly, that is the first time i have heard anyone suggest the paint OVER the mylar... any chance you wanna tell us why?

4. I have also read that when hangin the mylar, leave it just a tad loose, allowing it to 'flap' a little in the breeze of the fans and that will help to drop your room temps a tad bit from what it would be hung tight.. i read that in another blades thread, and was confirmed by blades who followed suit..

5. I use mylar survival blankets. They work great even better than flat white paint.

mj:smoking:

Attached Files:

6. Where did you get em? Been lookin everywhere for them fuckkers

7. Not all emergency blankets are made of Mylar, so check carefully, although Mylar is the recommend 'easy' method of attempting to re-use light in a confined space with many punters advocating a reflectivity percentage of above the mid 90's, the truth is some what less than desirable, the type of Mylar and it's application are to 2 main factors that will impact on it's reflectivity, second to that is the issue of keeping it clean, ""flat"" to operate correctly, fire proofed, and sealed to prevent mold..

..for all the hassle that a grower will endure, in many instances, 2 coats of flat white paint with high titanium oxide will do.,

peace
    "V"

ps see:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/lighting/918522-reflectivity-mylar-vs-flat-white-paint.html