Embracing Your Ego

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PhillGates, Apr 18, 2011.

1. For awhile I've notice how a lot of blades on this forum are very quick to disown another person's ego, let alone their own.

I don't understand what the fuss is about because an ego is something you can barely escape anyway.

The beauty of even having an ego is that it's what gives our meaningless lives a meaning.

If we allow it, an ego makes us naturally competitive with other ego's, something that's very useful for coming up with new ideas.

---

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I had to jot this down somewhere.

Thanks for reading.

2. Swing on the spiral.

3. Agreed

I think balance is key.

One needs to keep their ego in check, but i don't see benefit in robbing one's self of what makes one unique.

If this life is an experience to better the whole, what kind of advancement does living like a drone bring?

4. It's more about understanding the nature of attachment to one's own ideas, getting one's own way, and how it makes you feel when you aren't able to. Believing that what you think or feel is more important or relevant than someone else. Feeling a sense of expectation in the way other people should behave or act and being affected when they don't live up to it. Feeling like you have a right not be offended. It's these kind of things that I think are being referred to and it's the understanding of and subsequent releasing of them that allows the true journey to advance.

5. Experience the ego yet have no attachment.

6. I embrace my ego. I always have, and now I do to the extreme.

I was cocky in my ignorance, now I'm humble in my wisdom. :)

7. No attachment, no subtlety.

There is no such thing as mine

8. Truly "losing the ego" INCLUDES embracing of the ego...embracing of all things really...a great coming together of the ego and the non-ego

9. Oh goodness, what's this talk about a non-ego? I'm not aware of a non-ego, and neither should you be. Embrace the ego. .111... already embraced the non-ego and made the sacrifice.

The point of this existence is not to become aware. It is to become aware, only so that you can understand you must become unaware.

Stop looking out. Look in. You are the source of your reality.

Embrace your future, your true reality. Evolve.

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvOc9eOn8ws&NR=1]YouTube - Do You Want to Play a Game?[/ame]

11. Would cooperation yield more positive results than competition, if it was in the self-interest of individuals to work with others? This way the wealth of society can extend to everyone, and there is no such thing as rich or poor.

And when it comes to the ego, I think it's a great bridge to self. But to over-indulge is to forget there is deeper meaning to your life than you can perceive in the time you spend as a human being. Having a balance can reveal a subtle, harmonious path to peace...

:bongin:

12. Forgive my paint art work...[​IMG]

The top is your balance. The bottom is my bliss. How long you want to hold onto the other side of the loop is up to you. The Circle twisted itself for a reason. Listen to your heart.

There is only joy.

13. People hate the idea of giving up their ego because that means giving up their pleasures in life, yet these same pleasures ultimately end up as pain. It is a loop.

I also don't see how competing with other egos help come up with new ideas??

If you look into it some of the smartest men alive were very modest and didn't seem to have much of an ego at all.

14. #14 PhillGates, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    When Person A expresses directly/indirectly to Person B that their idea could be considered better than B's, I believe it can create a certain amount pressure on Person B to haphazardly come up with rougher, but more creative, idea's than A.

Some of the smartest men alive fully embraced their ego's too, and they did it in a competitive fashion.

Ever heard of "War of the Currents"?

15. I guess I just have a hard time believing that creativity is the product of ones desire to be better than another. Some of my favorite philosphies come from those who have complete ego death, it is all my opinion of course.

16. Ego is beautiful!

I never really realized that until I let mine go. When my old meaningless ego disapeared and a new self aware ego emerged, which ended up being pretty much the same as the old one ( ;) ), I realized how beautiful everything is just as it is. We don't need to turn a tree into a sofa for it to be beautiful; everything in it's place is perfect.

People just let themselves be out of place which is why their ego becomes ugly. All that struggling and pushing makes peoples faces white and their eyes shallow, and their talking all but useless.

If we embrace the love of life and the love of others along with it, everything becomes beautiful, and everyone (and thing) becomes a teacher.

17. As long as we have the luxury of the internet to pass our unfortunate excesses of free time while people are out there spending all their energy finding food and starving to death anyway, I greatly doubt we can be free of the ego. We're in a pretty easy position to pretend like we don't put a value on things and take the value of suffering for granted.

I have to wonder, when people volunteer how selfless or ego-free they are, why they are volunteering at all.

18. So, you cannot be free of the ego unelss you are starving? We should scorn what we have been blessed with, rather than be grateful, because there are people less fortunate?

19. Ego do makes us who we are,but others tend to use it for selfishness.

20. I think it's often self guilt. Everything should always be done when it's nothing, not when it's something.

If it's nothing for you to volunteer your time to do something for someone then it's probably the right thing to do. But if it's a 'big deal' then it's likely not even important enough to concern yourself about.