Email from my congressmen

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by vXiRiSHXv, Oct 16, 2011.

1. #1 vXiRiSHXv, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
    I emailed my local congressmen about legalization, this was the response i got:

Dear Mr. --------:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts about federal marijuana policy. I'm grateful for your comments and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, marijuana has been essentially prohibited since Congress passed the "Marihuana Tax Act of 1937." However, a number of states, including New York, have taken steps to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes. It is believed by activists and many in the medical community that marijuana use can alleviate side effects associated with chemotherapy for cancer patients, as well as side effects caused by medication used to treat AIDS patients. Additionally, marijuana is frequently cited as an alternative way to decrease severe pain associated with multiple sclerosis and glaucoma. Finally, many people believe marijuana to be safe enough for states to legalize and regulate.

You may be pleased to know that on June 23, 2011, Congressman Barney Frank of Massachusetts introduced the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011, H.R. 2306. If enacted, this bill would limit the applicability of federal law to the distribution and consumption of marijuana, thereby allowing states to decide whether or not to legalize marijuana and the purposes for which it may be used. This bill was referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce and the House Judiciary Committee, where it awaits further consideration.

Should I have the opportunity to vote on this legislation, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to do so again on any matter of concern. You can also visit my website (The Online Office of Congressman Steve Israel) to learn more about the issues important to you.

I'd like to think that's a positive view, thoughts?

2. Here's hoping. But it could also just be a standard response/reply seeing how he takes a very middle of the road position. It's good though that he doesn't demonize it like some politicians.

3. He doesn't say anything that will bite him in the ass, he didn't take positions on anything really.

At least he's not a dick

4. Awesome~ really cool of you to write your congressman. I wrote to Hillary Clinton when I lived in NY and she wrote me back as well. Always glad to see someone contacting the government, maybe I will get inspired and write my senator or congressman. Gonna go check out this Act they were talkin bout too... I'll post it up here.

5. I know it doesn't seem like he is taking a straight forward stance on the matter but I would be very content with a response like that

6. Man, almost all politicians are like that. They don't want to get on anyones bad side.

Literally just sitting his ass on the fence, pretending like he's for both sides, thats all that he was doing, and its just to get votes on both sides.

Most politicians use that tactic for many subjects.

7. i live in ny man

8. I would be glad with a response like that. If that bill passes I don't think it would help me much though. Oklahoma is a bitch about marijuana, but with the potential profit who knows

9. yeah I got a response from my Senator too. Started out like yours, then he put the reefermadness hammer down. I'd take that response. Obviously, we need more guys like Steve Cohen.

10. It beat any I got from my TX senators,reps and state legislator,,all quoted me right out of the ONDCP handbook.

After checking their donations out at the site that keeps up with political contributions,,I could see why,,all recvd election funds from the pharmaceutical industries in TX.

11. #13 Phamas, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
    it'll be stuck in the house judiciary committee as long as lamar smith is there

we're in the same district, while I am glad to see Israel at the very least isn't opposing the measure, he has voted for the patriot act plenty :mad:

12. To be totally honest the way he typed the first paragraph was like he was in 11th grade. Like a pissed off kid typing the bare minimum needed hahaha.

Definitely a positive note that he'd take the time out to type that which is esentially agreeing with you and letting you know what you can do to help.

13. It boiled down to 'I'll take it under consideration' which is political speak for saying nothing at all.

14. pretty much ><

this guy lamar smith really hates ganja though

15. it seems to me that he is not completely sure whether to support this bill or not, but is leaning towards supporting it.

16. Thank you for both writing and posting the reply. Everyone should do this. It would make one hell of a difference. One email is 10 "voices". One letter is 100 "voices". A call is more and a visit to the office of your congress person is significantly more.

If everyone would take 20 mins to type, print and mail a letter to your congress person, it would help our movement more than the last 5 years of voting combined.

17. i got a similar response from my senator.

18. You'll need to remind rhem that the bill is pigeon holed in Lamar's office and they will not get the chance to vote on it.

It may not hurt to remind them that Congress approved Medical for DC, but will not Federally allow other States to legally sanction MMJ. :smoke: