elliott smith

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by stealthgeek, Oct 1, 2008.

1. any fans of elliott smith on GC?

2. yeah...if i am about to cut my wrists...

3. not sure what that means

4. i'm a fan. i think he has such a soothing voice.

5. you can tell he puts alot of raw emotion into his songs

6. link? never heard of him

what style?

7. here is a fanpage for myspace ... he is dead now (controversial, 2 stab wounds to the heart, his girlfriend claims to have pulled the knife out of him after he stabbed himself ... with no hesitation wounds)

http://www.myspace.com/elliottsmithnewmoon

8. I think he's brilliant. I have to be in a certain mood though.

9. he's a genius, just not even close to what the average music listener listens to, though. i personally can't get enough of "Figure 8"... that album is flawless.

10. I have to be in the absolute right mood to listen to Elliott Smith, but I think he is one of the greatest lyricists to ever live.

King's Crossing, to this day, is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking songs I have ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezerLW5jPwI

11. i'm glad to see others appreciating this fine young man

12. I love Elliott Smith. He was an artist who really resonated with me when I first started to investigate other types of music beyond the mainstream. From him I went to the Red House Painters (who are now one of my favorite bands, period.) and so on and so forth.

One thing I'm surprised to see is "Figure 8" getting any love - that album is terrible! The only bad record he put out, in my opinion. It's just so middling and redundant. Sorry if that comes across as a bit harsh, I'm sorta stoned typing stream-of-conscious.

13. #13 Reflection Eternal, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
    I wrote him off when I first heard about him. Now I've found a couple of songs that really appeal to me. Somebody That I Used to Know, Between the Bars, Say Yes, Jealous Guy (Beatles cover), those are the tracks I've currently got. I'll check out what you guys have posted.

Edit: I'll add that it was totally sweet when I found out the real meaning behind that Ben Folds song that he wrote for Elliot. Good stuff.

14. yea i heard that song Needle in the Hay and immediately looked into some of his other stuff, i dont have any of it though, thanks for reminding me. amazing voice and melodies an lyrics, like you all said, i guess you have to be depressed to be in touch so much with your artform it seems, at least from the artists ive seen.

15. It means you don't get drunk and party to his songs. You need to be sitting in a car by yourself or something...it is soft music