Eliminate hay smelly buds in the end?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Seanic, Feb 27, 2013.

1. How to make DAMN sure my buds don't get that nasty hah smell when I'm done harvesting staying and curing. Any takers? Thanks!

2. 1. Start with a good strain from a local clone salesman or seedbank.
    2. Grow said strain in its optimal environment, and do not pull too early.
    3. Cure your already dank smelling weed and your weed will not have the hay smell.
    Lol

3. Ok thanks! Just making sure it's as simple as not bein stupid. Haha

4. As long as your in a safe environment to grow and you aren't restricted by danger of being robbed or being caught with a grow op.
    The main reason you see weed that smells like hay is because people usually just pull it too early thinking it has THC, but the majority of the THC and the smell form during the end of the plant's cycle.
    Just give your Mary j plant what she wants and she will humbly reward you with what you want :D

5. Ok thanks good info!

6. Don't pull to early any make sure you don't leave any major leafage. I have noticed when I leave dry product untrimmed in a tote to long, it will start to smell like hay. Also taking the time to cure in jars in a dark enviorment helps a lot, and burping it twice a day.

7. When harvesting cut and hang the entire plant. Hang in a dark space with temps in the 60-70 range and humidity also 60-70. After 3/4 days cut the individual branches and place in a box with a few holes in it for another 2-3 days. Then trim dry and jar. This slows down the drying process and completely eliminates the hay smell

8. Thankyou so much! I've heard to trim first because the leaves will make a hall smell is that true?

9. That's false. I have found that by not trimming first they smell better, dry slower which is better and following the method I listed before the will be at the perfect moisture level 55-60% and will start curing right away. I think it's easier and prefer trimming dry. Don't touch the buds while trimming. The less you touch the less trichs are damaged during the trim the better

10. Ok thankyou again! That really makes more sense. I've got about 15 days until I can utilize this info!

11. Don't go by time. Let the trichs tell you when it's time. Get a microscope. $15 at radio shack

12. Ok will do! 50 milky/ 50 amber right?

13. Isn't a pain in the ass to trim when you leave it for a few days because the leaves curl up on the plant?

14. That's the general preferred situation. However, feel free to experiment with that to see what you prefer.

15. It's personal preference bro. Dry trim smells better to me. If you let it fully try most of the leaves you can pull off with your fingers. It's a huge debate. Use what works best for you. All I can say is I've had no hay smell since converting to hanging the whole plant and trimming dry

16. I think, bud trimmed after its dry usually smells better than trimming wet.

The drying/curing process is very critical and should receive as much attention to detail as you put into growing your crop, if not more. This final step can make or break your harvest

The hay smell comes from several reasons: Drying too quickly, placing in curing jars before its totally dry, poor trimming, harvesting too early, etc.

You want a slow dry and make sure you have circulation in your drying area but dont put a fan directly on your buds, it will dry them unevenly and too quickly.