Electricty bill suspicions using 3000k watts in apt

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by oddpuertorican, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Hey everybody, I have a two BR apartment that is vacant im renting for my grow. No refridgerator or stove (which I know uses a lot of electricty. So if I were to only have my (1) 600 WATT HPS (1) 400 WATT HPS AND (2) 1000 WATT HPS. Will it cause suspicion with the electric company if their is no other appliances plugged up or being used at the apartment? I was guessing bill would be around $100-120.

2. The whole apartment for grow? No show furniture or anything?

Some apartments require checks every year for the fire department and what not, or maintenance. That's a big grow for an apartment ..

3. Depends, obviously that is alot of watts. Except if they look at your bill and one month you go from paying 60 bucks (people before you) to paying 120$ for the next couple months then FOR SURE they will put you down under suspicion. If you originally leave on TV's overnight and lights all over your house and you stop all those habits and just stick to a grow room then you MAY get away with it. Otherwise thats sooo sketchy.

4. I have a 3 bedroom house, and I have a 2 600w lights, a 400w light, and a 1000w light, I also run about 5 of those gh pumps, and 4 inline fans, and a window air conditioner in the room that stays on at least 12 hours a day.

So far no one's said shit. If you pay the bill the power company isn't going to alert the cops, and you've gotta think man, it's amps not watts. My vaccum cleaner is 12 amps, a 600w light is about 4. Plus they don't know if you've got 5 plasma tvs in there, or 4 kids keeping all the lights on and washing clothes all day.

5. They don't know until they decide to figure out if you have 4 kids. I have a 2 level house with 5 bedroom but we tend to save on power. With a family of 4 we pay a 60$ energy bill with just turning stuff after using it. Im starting my first 1000w led this year to decrease the risk of police fly over markings.

6. In the US, flir, (forward looking infrared radar) is illegal as the supreme court decided years back. So we haven't had helicopter problems here in over a decade, it's just a myth that people still live in fear of. Not sure about Canada.

Also, $60 a month for a 5br house is insane. You guys must have really cheap electricity. I lived in a 600sq ft apartment w/ just a 400w light and got bills over $100 regularly. The 3br house I'm in now is about $250 a month.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh Shoot, I live in British Columbia good prices on most things excep infared is the #1 way of getting caught here.

8. Panda film, mylar, and an air conditioner in the room. My whole grow room is the coldest place in the house.

9. No I will not be growing throughout the entire apartment. I will be Using the master bed room for flower and the other bedroom for veg and clones. The living room will be as if I really live there (Couch TV(NOT PLUGGED IN) some family pictures and one of my dogs (NINO) There will be no other appliances being used besides in the grow room (no fridge, computer, tv or anything. The apartment is in the GHETTO but very low key because mostly 30-45 year old couples and single women. The apartment manager already really trust me due to a slip up on her behalf and me being the honest person I am saved her $200 when she forgot to ask me for my deposit but I told her I only gave you the rent and gave her a $200 money order for rent. Lol but anyways what would you guys think about having the grow going on only in those two rooms. Will 3000 watts be too much even if thats the ONLY appliances being used?

10. how can I keep the smell down? Since I dont have a tent or anything all I have is two carbon filters 500 CFM and 2 oscillating fans. Also I will have the air on 73-75 degrees constantly

11. any suggestions??

12. [quote name='"oddpuertorican"']

how can I keep the smell down? Since I dont have a tent or anything all I have is two carbon filters 500 CFM and 2 oscillating fans. Also I will have the air on 73-75 degrees constantly[/quote]

Sounds awesome! For smell, maybe an air filter? In the part of the apartment where it looks like your living there I would get some Febreeze plug ins or something. Maybe if you cracked the window in the grow rooms?

13. its going to be so hard to keep the noise down in an apartment building with that much crap going on. timers clicking on and of. air pumps running. high velocity fans. regular fans. not to mention the smell that is virtually impossible to get rid of unless you mask it with sprays.

i wouldnt care at all about the electricity.

14. So you're not planning on living there? If not, that would raise the most suspicion..

Seems like you're going to do this either way, so I'll offer some advice. If you can find out if there are regular inspections, do that before you start anything. I had a conversation with one of the older people in my block about how dodge the landlord is in regards to maintenance. Chewed my ear off for half an hour haha, but I was able to get him to talk about inspections without it seeming too suss. I'd been here for a while, and I try to be fairly chummy with everyone.

Secondly, depending on how obvious it is as you come and go, I would look in to setting up something to imitate sounds like a tv or radio through an mp3 and speakers, hooked up to a timer. I'd use a 7 day timer and switch up the schedule every week. Though, this would raise more suspicion if you get knocks at the door and you aren't living there.

Try to get a gauge on how sound-proof the apartment is, as others have said, it's going to be a pretty noisy op. The fans are insanely loud! Might want to look into sound-proofing the areas.

And yes, the smell will be intense. Again, if you aren't planning on living here, an ozone generator is worth looking in to.

Now, my personal two cents worth, it's far too risky. I would never grow like this if I wasn't living there. I get paranoid enough as it is when I leave my place as I have next to no control in regards to security when I'm out. What happens in the event of a fire/burst water main, or any "emergency" for that matter?

Just a few things to think about. Stay safe and stealth. Good luck.

Peace

15. Thanks alot bro. I will be sleeping their at least 3 times a week and over there Majority of the day lunch breaks, taking naps, etc. It's right next to my job. My real apt is about 20 minutes away so I have to stay there nights also I will ask about inspections as well. you were very help ful

16. Damn man 1000 Watts isnt good enough, y dont u just keep it small and low key, 3000 Watts isn't a lot of power for a family but for one person in a 2 bedroom apartment it sure is, growing with 3000 Watts is different than using it for casual TV viewing , and appliances use.

17. Do you think I could get away with 2400 watts?

18. Lets see a floor plan of the apartment and maybe some pictures of the apartment. Can you get building supplies into the building with out notice? You can use RMAX rigid insulation on the walls and floor to cut down sound dramatically in the rooms your deciding to grow in. What kind of hours are you looking to keep each light on for? Are there any other utilities your not telling us about like hot water heater etc? How is the home/apartment heated? If your not there all the time I would highly suggest a way to monitor the apartment with out you being there. Webcam, cellphone trip wire or something that can send you a picture or text alert if some one goes in there.

Honestly play it as safe as you can. Don't forget a lot of people think this plant is the devil and will punish those of us who love and use it.

19. I don't think i've ever had an electricity bill under $150 in the 5+ years I've lived in this house, living in the Washington where people won't stfu about "at least electricity is cheap".

The tent (1kw +fans) has been up for less then a year, with as little of an impact it makes on the bill I'd almost bet it's not even noticeable.

Moral of the story. It's not hard at all to use a shitload of power, legally. Most people worry about nothing. A tv, fridge and stove used even just once daily probably make up more then your lights would. The whole "Apt for grow op only" idea is where the trouble is here I think. I've lived in apartments, and would find it hard to believe i wouldn't notice something slightly off about a pseudo-occupied unit.