Electricity

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by billgee, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Lots known, lots more forgotten.

I am trying to figure out the amperage on my line. I have 1400 watts of juice traveling down my 20 amp line. Its holding now. Its a circuit breaker not a fuse anymore.

There's a simple formula but I cant remember it.

Does anyone know the formula?

I do remember the 75% rule and not to trust anybody

Is there a sticky somewhere?:smoke:

2. i don't happen to remember the formula either, but i know if you look on Google they'll give you a calculator and you just input your numbers.

3. From my notes:
    Volts are a measure of the force or pressure under which electricity flows.

Amps are a measurement of the current flow rate of electrons.

Watts is a measurement of electrical power created. 1 watt is equal to one joule of energy per second.

Simply draw a triangle, then place a W for watts at the top. Then place a V for volts at one of the bottom corners and an A for amps at the remaining corner.

For an example of how the conversion chart works, let's assume a solar panel rated at 60Watts, 12Volts and 5Amps.

The formula for Watts is Volts times Amps. To use the chart, cover the W in the chart with a finger and use the remaining visible chart calculation of V multiplied by A. Using our sample panel data, 12 Volts multiplied by 5 Amps equals 60 Watts.

The formula for Volts is Watts divided by Amps. To use the chart, cover up the V with your finger and use the remaining chart calculation of W divided by A. Using our sample panel data, 60 watts divided 5 Amps equals 12 Volts.

The formula for Amps is Watts divided by Volts. To use the chart, cover up the A with your finger and use the remaining chart calculation of W divided by V. Using our sample panel data, 60 watts divided by 12 volts equals 5 amps.

peace
    "V"

4. Well watts is a measure of electrical power, and if i remember correcty:

P = i V

Where, i is current, and V is the potential difference (voltage)

We could also look at it in terms of resistance (not sure if this will be helpful) since we know V = R i
    i = V / R

Where V is voltage and R is resistance.
    Sub this into the 1st equation:

P = V^2 / R

This is just what i know about power, to be honest im not even sure if any of this will be relevant to your problem... I'm just in class right now so I'm in a mathematical mood :D

5. P = V * i

60 = 12 * 5

Gotta love math/physics :D:hello:

6. Many thanks to all but I still dont know if my breaker will blow if I add a 600 watt HPS or am I just wasting my time and will never be able to plug it in.

Vostok: You refer to an unseen chart. What is it? How can I get it.

AKROUDY52: Google what? Amps volts watts circuit breaker

7. In the U.S. most current is 120 volts. Multiply the number of amps on the outlet times 120 and then multiply that number by 80%and you have a number that your safe running for an extended period.

15 amp outlet ~ 1800 max / 1440 continuous
    20 amp outlet ~ 2400 max / 1920 continuous

8. THATS IT!

Thats the ticket.

A simple equation. I knew it but couldnt remember.

Thanks a million

Finally I have an Electricity sub-file in my Grow file.

SOMETHING EVERYBODY OUGHTA KNOW:smoke:

9. Oooops...sorry
    Or just plug aheater or large applience into socket to see if it will blow..??
    peace

"V"

Attached Files: