Electricity usage, wiring, saftey, and YOU!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 13ronin, Mar 3, 2009.

1. so,, if i have a small fan for ventalation and a 400w metal hylide runing 18 hours a day... if i turn down some appliances and keep them off when not in use.,.. will this alert that power company of over usage or somthing?

2. Even if you didn't conserve power elsewhere you prolly wouldn't alert anyone with that little power usage. A computer alone uses around 600 watts... I wouldn't be worried if I were you, but conserving power elsewhere is great idea if for no other reason than for your wallet!

3. so i'm getting ready to order a mh/hps system, and the website tells me i can switch the 110 volt power cord out for a 240 volt cord. what difference does the cord make, if any?

4. the big difference is going to be the plug on the cord. A 240 v cord has a totally different plug. Its the type that you hook an electric dryer up to. Its a lot more hardcore.

5. I wired a 12v computer fan to a 5.2v 400mA. Its running kind of slow and want to change it.

I have another plug i can use thats 5v and 2A would it run faster on this?

6. Ya prolly, but it might burn up the motor in the fan. I'd look at the fan and see what the power recommendations are for it. Should be listed on a sticker...

7. Hey All
    I am putting in 2 new breakers and wiring my 2 rooms up for veg/flower
    veg has 2 400 watt mh and accessories, flower has 1k watt hps plus fans etc
    basically for all you experts in electricity, i am just wondering if a 20 amp breaker/wiring is good enough for each room. i have added up usage a few times and 2 20 amp breakers would seem to do the job with ease but before i start this wiring (want to start today) i wanted to see what the experts think :)

any quick, informative response is much appreciated as i am ready to go go go :hello:

8. sounds like you are doing it right! Ya, setting up those rooms on separate circuits, each with 20 amp breakers and wiring will more than handle the job. Sounds like you're on the right track bro!

9. ronin is correct. You should be fine with that gear and breaker combo. A dedicated 20amp breaker is good for 1,880w (or a continuous load of no more than 80% of the breaker capacity). Just make sure not to add more stuff onto the circuit without calculating your load.

10. Well, not that I am anywhere near an expert, though I am a student studying electricity technology: I know how expensive electrical construction can be. I have to say, 2-20A circuits is a little overboard. That is, if using these breakers solely for growing.

Realize this: If you are making additions to the electrical plan of a premise... and plan to make these permanant additions to this premise; you must bring the entire premise up to NEC Standards. This is according to rules the NFPA published in 2008.

My point is... your house was probably built with different NEC rules. If you make an addition, you have to bring the rest up to CODE. This can be very expensive. SO... my advise is to keep costs down. Run a single 30A breaker with multiple timers. Also, dont make these permanent additions. Run them outside the walls in proper conduit, if at all possible. Before you sell your home, or if you ever have to get it inspected for a re-finance, remove the breaker. (And YES, they definetely do look).

On standard American 120V input, a 30A breaker could safely handle 2,880Watts continuously. 3,600Watts non-continuously.

Just my thought.

11. Thx as always for the great info:wave:
    These "rooms" are located in the basement (owned house/not rented) but i wasnt planning on running the wire for these inside the walls. gonna go with conduit along the wall so if i needed to take it out it wouldnt be all that difficult
    i will take a look at the 30amp breakers,maybe wire directly to a wall strip outlet like shops have, idk im not sure but 2 20s seem a little safer, plus if the breaker flips and im not there only half my babies are in trouble lol
    any other tips b4 i go buy gear for this is more than welcome, prob wont be heading to the hardware store for a few more hours
    thx guys:gc_rocks:

12. Neither is safer. They are made and listed to withstand what they say they will. Your lights are purely resistive. It isn't like a refridgerator or anything else with an inductor that for a fraction of a second takes 5-8 times it's power rating to start. Lights will use what they say they use.

Accidental breaker pops DO happen, though. Usualy it's because of a "dirty power" surge. ie... something powerful in your home or neighborhood starting or stopping and sending a "spike voltage" through your line. This is what surge protectors are for... or even power bars are fine to counter this in residences.

Just count your costs. I'm sure your prepared.

13. Great post! Should be stickied!

If you really want to keep an eye on your power consumption, check out the Kill-A-Watt (P3 - Kill A Watt) Its an Inline power monitor that can calculate how much your equipment is costing you, and can help you design a more efficient grow.

14. Which post? Can posts be stickied? This entire thread has been stickied. ... ?
    rep is appriciated though, if talking about mine.

15. #115 loadman, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    Hello I am a little confused. I recently decided to take the leap. My question is this: need to hook up something thats meant to be hard wired. Can I hook up a heavy duty grounded plug and just plug it in? Its a 340 cfm panasonic whisperline inline fan. Thank you for all the useful info! Also will a 600w make more heat than a 400w using radiant ac with lens and constant ventilation? Can I keep it as close?

16. huh????

17. in my circut breaker box there was a label

main breaker

120v 125amps

is this the figure that i should go by when coming up with caluction or no?

18. The inline fan is meant to be hard wired...it doesnt have a plug. Can I connect a plug to it? I am not sure that if you cannot understand my question that you will be able to help.

19. Yes you can! :) But before you do, what power consumption is the fan?

NOOOOOOOOOO! That is your main.... for the entire house! You have to look at the smaller ones that will have like 10 or 15 or 20 on them. These are the individual breakers for the rooms. The numbers on them will the amps for that room. The numbers might be hard to see, or they might be on a sticker on the breaker. Use a flashlight. Some older breakers had the numbers stamped on them with no white paint so they are hard to see...

20. Nice write up. I only use one 250 watt hps at the moment, so I am good to go.

-C