Electricity usage, wiring, saftey, and YOU!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 13ronin, Mar 3, 2009.

1. indeed watch what else is plugged into the same circuit. A desktop with a monitor can run 700 watts, and like he said, a hair dryer can run at around 1500.

2. Thanks for this. I'm running down my check list before I make my first attempt and just coming across this part now. :eek: Work to do for sure.

3. Nice Post! One of the few well written AND informative pieces out there. Safety minded and useful! ++rep

4. my DC transformer says its input is 120V and 60 Hz. so how do i calculate that in watts?

5. I have no idea cause Hz is not a measure of power so much as it is in frequency. Sorry bro, but I'm clue.

It should still have an amperage rating on there somewhere. It might be expressed first... I dunno. When you get a chance type in exactly what it says on there. I'll come back later and see if I can help you out more...

6. INPUT: 120v AC 60hz
    OUTPUT: 12v dc 300ma

7. ah ok! The input defines what it plugs into. The wall outlet! That's 120 volt Alternating Current at a frequency of 60 hz. That's what we all have in our houses in the US. The output is what you are actually using. The DC stands for direct current. The 300 ma stands for miliamp. Think of it being compared to grams and miligrams. 1 amp is = 1000 miliamps. So, 300 miliamps is equal to 0.3 amps. So...,

12v x .3a = 3.6 watts.

8. i understand the conversions lol. but i assumed that's what i was using. i just wasnt sure when i heard you speaking of input. but now i know my grow cab fans use 3.6 watts each. +rep for helpfulness and sweet sticky bro. i was considering making one myself but you beat me to it

9. hey thanks for all the great info...

one more quick question:

say your running a 400W bulb with a 400W ballast. Does the ballast also draw 400 watts as well? So when the ballast and bulb are running, there will be 800 watts of usage?

10. how much electricity dose a 1000watt hps thats been on for 12 hours?

11. Why dont you actually respect the man and read what he just spent tons of time writing.

P.S. Thanks for this thread! It definitely makes me feel better.

12. You would be better served to do the math yourself so you can get the hang of it. post back when figure it out and I'll double check ur math! Peace bro!

Thanks for the input!

13. No the 400 ballast IS the power for the bulb. However, the ballast will consume some wattage on its own so you have to read the info on the ballast to see what it truly uses. I wouldn't say it would be more than 30-40 watts...

14. thanks very much for information, very useful i had no idea before i read yours

15. thanks 4 the usefull information i got from u.this will be my second time growing and the info i got for electricity usage was all i needed to make me persuit this again last year i did it and got scared of the bill i received but now i know stealing power is not the answer and i ll keep on learning more on what i ve done wrong last year!!!:D

16. Does anyone use a GFCI? I have one as the first device in my power control panel.

I also use a Kill-a-Watt to track usage.

17. sorry guys but i read the thread but i dont understant it.im a stoner and im not that good at math just wanted to no how much electricity a 1000watt hps uses thats on for 12 hour and how much money it would cost? :)thanks

18. so, 1000 watts= 1 kwh.
    12 cents a kwh
    1 kwh per hour
    1.44 per 12 hour cycle if my math is on, please correct if wrong.

19. Thanks Kushman2020, that's it. about $1.44 per hour.

20. i think you mean $1.44 per 12 hours. 1.44 an hour would suck lol