Electricity usage, wiring, saftey, and YOU!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 13ronin, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lol. Safety? If a wire cap isn't tight enough or a short happens and makes sparks fly I think you'll wanna have that shit in a nice confined space. Safety first.

2. i just went in and added 15 amp into the main bracker and ran 12/2 make with 4 my own outlets safest way for me

3. great post very helpful in my situation

4. hey, great post i learned a lot. but i do have one question and i hope its reasonable

okay i did my math and i am looking at about 4690 watts total usage from every thing in my apartment. the bill is looking to be around but probly 178.29 cent (no tax). I wanted to know what a red flag from the power company would be because i live in a college city studio apartment and its the summer so a lot people are going home so they maybe paying attention, but this is all worst case scenario stuff on my part. not to mention i am a first time grower so i think i may just be paranoid or something. Anyway,what would be a red flag as for as power usage to the power company. Again man this was a great post and i really appreciate it.:smoke:

5. Ya you should be fine, my window air conditioner is 8000w lol. There is allot of electrical questions answered, along with some information on the electrical thread I got going, Feel free to check it out.

6. I ran a 400w light for 18 hours a day 4am to 10pm and for one month of service it cost me $28. I want to switch to a 1000w bulb connected to a 250w fan. So with 1250w ran from 7pm to 7am should just double my bill correct?

400w x 18hrs = 7200w = 7.2 Kwh
    1250w x 12 = 15000w = 15 Kwh

What are peak and off peak hours?

7. Good stuff bud. Alot of people dont think about the Electrical side of things, or the plumbing side for that matter. I love it, it helped me (a plumber) understand electricity alittle more. Thanks bud.

8. #288 PotPower, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
    I said to myself, "Why not just put one of these in and call it a day"!!
    :hello:
    So I did and am very happy with this unit.

Digital AMP meter and timers all around.

10 plugs x 220v power 15amp per

5 plugs X 120v power 15amp per

GFCI protected

60amp breaker

they also come with washer/dryer plugs making it easy to just plug and play
    into your existing outlet if it already has a 60-70 amp breaker inside.
    If not you will have to replace yours with the appropriate breaker,
    I say 70amp tho I am using a 60amp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Most dryer outlets are on a 10/3 romex. That's only 30 amp rated. That can fry out if you exceed it's limit and your breaker on that box, and in your panel will never trip.

to properly use that box, and your 70 amp breaker, you'd need a 4 gauge romex rated at 70 amp.

10. This should be a sticky and i believe it was at one time!

11. i need to learn how to wire up a separate circut... anyone got advice??? links??

12. Seperate circuit can be as easy as opening up an outlet and shoving 3 new wires (HOT, NEUTRAL, AND GROUND) into an existing outlet, and running them to where you need power.

OR it could be running f

13. i need to make sure i dont blow anything running lights humidifier pumps etc..... is this safe?

14. Here's a place to start.

How to Install Electrical Wiring | DoItYourself.com

Do you want to run a whole new circuit or just extend an existing circuit?

15. i just need to make sure i dont blow anything... ( i want to do it the right way)

16. Grow.... To see if extending a circuit will work, you first need to know 3 things: 1) How many amps is the breaker rated for. 2) Add all items running on that circuit including the possible additions (lights, fans, etc.) and find out how many amps they will pull at MAXIMUM.. 3) Make sure that your maximum amperage DOES NOT exceed 80% of the breakers capacity.
    ( i.e: 30 amp breaker should not have more than 24 amps running through it at any one time.)

Also, you must take into consideration the gauge wire being used and see if it will carry the desired amperage. The biggest mistake people make is too many amps for the circuit. Ask friends if they know an electrician or as stated above in previous posts, get a basic wiring book at the library or look things up on-line... Above all be safe!!

17. #297 spliffdaddy, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
    So I tried to figure out how much per month the vent fan I plan on buying would cost and im confused i think it has to do with me being stoned but a little help would be greatly appreciated!!

I plan on using a 1000 watt hps lamp so I got 1040 there then this vent fan CF Metal Fan - 6" - Air Purification - Worm's Way - is it just flat out 82.2 watts? Does this mean I'd be using a total of 1122.2 watts??? so 1.122 X .12 = cost per hour? then multiply that by 18 hours and then multiply that by 31 days..I got $75.129 is this correct?? thanks!!!!

18. You don't get charged by the watt you get charged by the KWH that's 1.0 KWH per hour 18 x 31 = 558, 558 x .12 = 66.96.

19. Great info and awsome Post..thanks DUDE!:smoke:

20. If i have 220v wall socket do i still need a ballast