Electricity to grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sentimental.haze, Mar 5, 2014.

1. I see a lot of threads about the electricity spike when growing, and that causing suspicion. And I was just thinking, from my understanding, you can send a letter to someone in the government (not sure who though) and they will pay for the installation of solar energy panels for your house. With this you don't pay for electricity, and if you have any left over the electric company will pay you for it. Wouldn't that be something to consider if you were to grow?

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Getting solar panels is a good idea, grow or no grow.

Electricity cost are nothing compared to the price of quality cannabis.

A 1,000w grow light running 18 hours a day cost $30-$40 a month for the electricity.

3. My kilowatt cost is 0.25, what is yours snoop? Where I live its supposedly the nations highest?

.06 :D 25% of yours. Shit I better order another light and plug that bitch in.

5. Lol...were I live, its mainly diesel generators for power! We have hydro in summer to help drop the expense of fuel. Im way tempted to invest in a nice generator and battery banks and go as big as I can.(According to electricity produced) A gallon or two a day of deisel = $5-10

6. Good thing the energy companies only really care about their bottom line. I wouldn't worry too much about being reported. Somebody would need a wild hair up their ass tickling their brain to screw you.

7. See how much kilowatts your using,and see the average usage for a family in ur area, try and stay around that number and youll be fine, the average family here uses 1,000 kw and I use 547 kw, no spikey spike.

8. Haha I am running a 5000 watt grow with a couple t5 chi fixtures and my power company sent me a letter saying I use more power than any of my neighbors lol. Guess im the only person o the street with a $600 electricity bill

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

9. lol, I just got that letter as well, said I use 180% more than my neighbors, but on a 1-100 scale I'm 99, so atleast I know somebody In the hood is doing it bigger than me

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I also get those same letters! lol Here is the thing though, I got those letters when I didnt grow already!

11. Solar is great, but will not produce near enough power for a large indoor garden. Huge solar arrays might attract unwanted attention as well. But it's great to have solar to power base load especially if you have net-metering. You can find a list of local kwh rates around the US here: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_...

Nothing beats diesel for general power. It stores well, won't blow-up like gas can and diesel generators (especially military surplus diesel generators) are the most reliable and can take a beating for continuous 24/7 use. You can also buy reduced priced "farm" diesel (or "off-road" diesel) in many areas; that's what farmers use. It's dyed red to signify it's different tax rate. Do not use in on-road trucks as you can risk getting checked (never happened, but it's a no-no).

Diesel military / army surplus generators are probably the best value and you can get one to fit your kw needs to run efficiently. Don't oversize as you will simply waste diesel $$$. We have had good success with Green Mountain Generators: https://greenmountaingenerators.com/. They have gensets as well as parts...

12. How big is your grow? You're charged per 1000w per hour, so unless you have a big setup I doubt you'll see a "huge" spike.

I used to live a stone throws distance from Three Mile Island and my electricity was still $0.24/kwHr so it could be A LOT worse lol