electricity question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by newthumbgreen, Oct 4, 2012.

1. hi all , i have a little question.
    in a room we have a outlet that are on a single circuit breaker that handle 15 amp. we put a 450watt hps with a 1000watt hps with a timer on it.

we want a change the 430 for a 1000 one and we need to add more electric stuff that we can plug on 120
    everything are on 120 right now
    right to the room that is 2 heater, 2 are on the same double circuit 240 or 220 not sure .
    can i unplug those 2 and make something with this line that are on a 220-240 breaker ?
    i have search on the forum and lot of web site but did not found lot of thing
    so if someone can help me it would be great
    i want a take this line for my 2 x 1000wat hps ballast so i can use the 120 one outlet for other stuff like fan and blower

i seen something at the grow shop is a dryer plug on a wooden panel with a breaker and like 4 X 2 x220-240 volt + like 4 x 2x120 volk outlet but its like 260 $

so i would like to take thie heater electricity 220-240 volt to make something... how do i proceed

thank a lot in advance

2. I'm not really understanding your post, it's a bit hazy.

But here are some points, read them and ask questions if you want.

Watts = volts X amps.

To find out what your circuit will handle, multiply the volts (120) by the amp rating of the breaker, in your case, 15.

This equals 1800 watts. Or 18 one-hundred watt light bulbs. Or one 1500 watt heater.

240 volts is not normally used for household lighting. However, 240 lines are actually two 120 volt wires, which can be split and if each is used with a neutral then you will have two 120 volt lines.

But don't mess around with changing what you have, assuming it is correct now. Do NOT put a larger breaker on any line.

If you need more power somewhere, you will probably have to run a new circuit from the service panel. If you don't know how to do it correctly, hire it done.

3. #3 Doc-J, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    I would run two 1000ws on the 240 circuit then use the 120 circuit for fans and such. The 240v lights should run at 1/2 the amperage allowing both on one circuit. This would require 220v ballast though.

I wouldnt be using some rigged up circuit panel. Just my opinion though. Get a qualified electrician if you aren't familiar with electrical work.

4. #4 newthumbgreen, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
    yeah thank man to answer me, sorry for my poor english im tryng to do my best :)
    but you 2 guys have answer correctly to my question, but there is still something i dont understant.
    ive made my electricity 101 with my mechanic school and i remember what you saying when you split the 240 line it give 120. but how to fkreaking do that i dont remeber, do you know where i can find like a tutorial for it please. otherwise i will have to hook up an electrician
    thank so much for answer

i will say also what joker is saying, its EXATLY what i want a do , use my pending wire that i just unpluged from a heater to plug my 2 x 1000w ballast, they are suppose to be switchable i think inside the box so. and use the other 2x120 on the 15 amp one for fan and blower stuff like that
    ANY TUTORIAL FOR THAT PLEASE?
    thank a lot guys and again sorry for my english
    those are great information and its for security , i head up on security first caus i own a house so i dont want fire inside ... little () ( all those question because ive been runing 3 month with 1 super harverst everything alright) but when i went to clean the room, and then make a test with my 2 ballast i have connect them on the 120 input and then my 1000w ballast wire was going at hot temperature,,,, so weird, been runing 3 month, never did that, and now after harvest and cleaning, the wire are hot when i plug it so... i closed breaker blablabla and removed the wire in the 120 plug so see what happen and tested my 120 input to see if i have 120 volt blalbabla but have some voltage on the grounded box so pretty weird i decided to remove this one because i have another 120 input in the room that are corect no volt on ground box and 120 alright.... we discover that they are like 4 input on the same 15 amp breaker so lol anyway long history just to say 1 on the wire inside was with hot spot black one on it so we cut that and removed the 120 input one.)))))

that why now i only have 1 x 120 input and the pending wire 220-240 from the heater that i want a do something with it
    i still can buy power extention but youno...
    (and by the way my electric panel is really close to my room so maybe i can do something with it but tell me )

<THANK GUYS I APPREACIATE YOUR TIME

5. OP, make sure that only the outlets in that room are on that circuit. You could have multiple rooms on the same circuit, so be sure to check. I'm not an expert on electrical stuff.

6. I remember something from grade school, where if you take your 220-240 V circuit and make it into a parallel circuit, each will have half voltage..
    But tbh, I don't think you should mess around with that (fire hazards, not following 'electrician's code' etc...) An electrician will easily be able to set up a new circuit for you at 110V. And then theres NO risk :3