Electricity bills

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by HazeyOG, May 8, 2012.

1. How high do you think the bill would rise without using cfl's...if I used only a 600w mh/ 600w hps...would it be obnoxiously high or is it tolerating?

2. It's like 20-30 more a month...not too bad

3. 1200 watts total or 600 hps during veg and 600 hps during bloom. Id say 1200 total is more than 20-30 a month more like 50-70 id say. I have a 400w HPS, AC, dehumidifier, And portable heater. Obvioulsy I only use the heater or AC (not together). Id say my bill rose about 40 bucks with all that.

4. Depends on where you live, in my neck of the woods the local powerplant
    was shut down and the bills increased by 30%

5. It depends where you are, and what you have... Expect/budget for a $100 increase and you will be fine. How much do you currently spend on MJ? per month

6. [quote name='"root2vest"']It depends where you are, and what you have... Expect/budget for a $100 increase and you will be fine. How much do you currently spend on MJ? per month[/quote]

I haven't started an official grow with the right Nutes soil etc because my lease expires in 2 months so I plan on waiting to move before I set this all up...100 shouldn't be too bad...parents pay for rent and all that jazz since I go to school so all money will be toward growing...would a 600 be too much for a 6 plant room? Or is a 400 more appropriate?

7. [quote name='"TinTizzy"']It's like 20-30 more a month...not too bad[/quote]

Not too bad thanks :)

8. [quote name='"jackstraw419"']1200 watts total or 600 hps during veg and 600 hps during bloom. Id say 1200 total is more than 20-30 a month more like 50-70 id say. I have a 400w HPS, AC, dehumidifier, And portable heater. Obvioulsy I only use the heater or AC (not together). Id say my bill rose about 40 bucks with all that.[/quote]

Thanks...I was just hoping it wouldn't be like a few hundred

9. [quote name='"mile"']Depends on where you live, in my neck of the woods the local powerplant
    was shut down and the bills increased by 30%[/quote]

That's terrible :eek:

10. 600 at least, if not a 1000. I run a 1000 over 6 plants in a 7x5 room. yield 5-6 oz's per plants depending on strain.. Make sure you have good intake and exhaust and filtration and your set.

11. 600 is good for that size just make sure you get a cooled hood or have a lot of ventilation...they also make adjustable ballasts that you can switch from 600, 450, and 300 watts so if you find you want it cooler you can switch it down there are cheap one on ebay with a cool tube

12. [quote name='"root2vest"']

600 at least, if not a 1000. I run a 1000 over 6 plants in a 7x5 room. yield 5-6 oz's per plants depending on strain.. Make sure you have good intake and exhaust and filtration and your set.[/quote]

How much would an intake and exput fan cost?

13. [quote name='"TinTizzy"']

600 is good for that size just make sure you get a cooled hood or have a lot of ventilation...they also make adjustable ballasts that you can switch from 600, 450, and 300 watts so if you find you want it cooler you can switch it down there are cheap one on ebay with a cool tube[/quote]

For sure thanks :)

14. Gen rule is 100w for the first plant and 50w for each additional BARE MINUMUM. Double the #'s if using cfl.

For max efficiency, I wouldn't run more than 4 under a single 1000. I run 2 plants per 1000, 24 plants total

15. 7x5 with only a 1000 watt?

I would run 2000 :D

16. who's general rule is that?

When I was growing up and this was a time ago and science has improved since then, we now have plumbing and electricity. I always use the idea of square footage and max light.

I personally like keeping above 50w per/sq foot in a flowering space. If I can hold 60w per sq foot I think that is a nice sweet spot personally. I did not notice further increase in yield really until I got to 100w per sq foot and that really was not worth it. I have seen reports that 100 is more than a average plant can even absorb but I have no data or fact to back that up with and have not seen any reliable data outside of a botany lab and lab conditions are hardly ever grow room conditions.

17. #17 HazeyOG, May 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
    [quote name='"root2vest"']

600 at least, if not a 1000. I run a 1000 over 6 plants in a 7x5 room. yield 5-6 oz's per plants depending on strain.. Make sure you have good intake and exhaust and filtration and your set.[/quote]

Can you run a smaller room? Say a 4'x2.5'? With 6 plants?
    Using 1000watts

18. That's my general rule and the rule I follow whenever we are designing a smaller room or closet, like for an older, independent patient or someone like that. Lots of these people are on ssi and want,.... "need", to do it as cheaply as possible. We're talking about minimums. I personally run 12 x 1000's on 24 plants in a 20 x 12 room.

What you're looking for is a balance where your footprint isn't too large (light gets too diffused, loses lumens exponentially with distance ) and the plants are good and close. In other words, u could have a light 20 ft high and it'll make a 20x 20 footprint but the light is all weak whereas lower that light to 5 ft, and your footprint shrinks drastically. I personally find that 4 plants under a 600 or a 1000 in a 4x4 or 5x5 space is about as much as I would push it . My .02, no need for anyone to get defensive.

19. but to answer your question simply, yes, you definitely can but definitely address the above concerns, along with heat and humidity for best results

20. I would run that same amount of light in that space. I probably would have closer to 50 under them though depending on the starting size during flowering. Size really is the factor after you illuminate your space with an appropriate density of light. Hell you could have 100 in there if it was SOG. With 24 you could have some nice sized plants though. I would think that it just depends on what you can deal with if you are tending it alone. 24 would take less effort even if bigger I would think. Less pot to pot interactions. No pun intended.

I agree about distance of light as I think anyone informed would. I run many smaller rooms in a bigger room sometimes with smaller lights. It allows a better rotation for my space and time. In one right now I have a 600w hps about 10 inches off the tops. It is a small tent about 5x3x7.2 They FUCKING love it. One I had to move to another tent because it did not like it however and I think it was just to intense. Not all strains handle that but some do. Any closer than 10 in and I found this strain does strange things. The leaves deform although they still grow well. I like to experiment with stuff though :)