electricity bills how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dorus, Sep 7, 2019.

1. so i have a led mars hydro 600, would growing with it boost my electricity bills by alot? generally does it boost your bill by alot for growing? i plan to grow but dont wanna have surprises either lol

2. #2 MickFoster, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    The Mars Hydro - Mars Series 600w only pulls 132 watts and the Mars Hydro - Eco Series pulls 192 watts - you didn't specify.
    Either way, it won't increase your electric bill much - maybe $25 a month, if that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. To bad Mars cant advertise what the actually wattage is on they're LED lights they make ..
    Other grow lighting companies do .
    The Mars 600 watt light is actually some where very close to 250 actual watts .
    Its about 15 bucks per month to run that light .
    Using that light You need 48 watts per square foot of grow space .
    In layman terms that light is good for 5 square footage of grow area .
    One small to medium sized MJ plant ..

• Like Like x 2
  4. Not that anyone asked, but the numbers got me to thinking... and researching.
    It seems that my eight bank fixture of four foot T5s, is rated at 432 W and draws 454 W.
    That covers a 2 foot by four foot area.
    Pretty much the same?

5. How can I say this …
    Your wasting money using that light .. Other Led lights are allot more efficient ..
    Like twice to three times more efficient .
    Seems Mars might be making better LED's now but honestly I bought 11 mars led grow lights and regret buying every single one of them ...
    I feel I was lied to by them …..
    All the older mars LED lights only use 40 to 45 % of advertised wattage ..

6. You can't really compare fluorescents with LED or HID because of their lack of light penetration. I use the 8 bulb T5 fixture as well for the first few weeks of veg, but as the plants grow they need a more powerful light.

7. The quality LED's is 28 watts minimum per square foot .

8. I was running
    2 1500w yehsence
    1 1000w bestva
    1 450w viparspectra
    Actual draw was around 1000w plus
    And a portable AC unit
    3 oscillating fans
    And a 6" 440 cfm exhaust
    My bill was $800
    Actual bill was like 450 range but California
    Has a great rate hike if you go over the prior years usage for a month .
    Legal to grow but i can get fined if i use too much electricity....

I cut loose of all those lights and got an HLG 550 480w dimmable LED
    Cost as much as the electric bill but if it saves money it pays for it self in two or three grows .

I think it was the fine from the state
    And the AC unit pluse my house AC .

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

9. Well, maybe you can save me a bit of research... or I can start hunting;
    What is the FINAL draw of the lighting required to cover a 2 foot by 4 foot (8 sq ft)... to include ballasts, etc...?
    inquiring minds...

10. 224 watts minimum Samsung boards

11. Yeah when I lived in CA my bill was $1200 a month. 3 1000w hps 1 600w MH 12000 BTU Mini split 70 pint dehu and all the fans and accessories.

12. Here's how to compute electricity cost:
    Monthly Cost = (Total killowatts)*(hours of operation per day)*(30.5 days/month)*(Cost per kilowatthour)

For example, consider a 300 watt LED, a 35 watt exhaust fan, and a 20 watt oscillating fan in a grow space.
    All of that adds up to 355 watts = 0.355 kilowatts
    If the light is on for an average of 18 hours daily during the grow (the average of 24-0 and 12-12), and electricity is $0.10 per kilowatthour then
    Monthly Cost = (0.355 kW)*(18 hr/day)*(30.5 day/month)*( $0.10/kWhr) = $19.48

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Sounds as though I'm using twice the power for 'half' the lighting performance.
    You say "minimum"; I'd, likely, be running them on low?

14. If you want a blue/purple light bestva has a descent one 1000w
    Or 450w VIPARSPECTRA is a veg monster
    Both good for 1-2 smaller plants
    Then the 1500w yanesee is good as well
    I know just because i used them on my first grow before i switched to quantum boards

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk