electrical switch

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MonArch, Oct 7, 2006.

1. hi everyone, i pulled out my hps out of the closet to hook it up for my new grow, currently using floros at the moment. I bought my hps a while ago at homedepot and got the 150w regent dusk till dawn security light that i wired to be a remote ballast system with a two male plugs comming out of the ballast box one to the light and one for main power with the light having a female connector. The problem is i guess i forgot wich male end to plug in and accenentially crossed them and hooked it up wrong. Ive rewired it and double checked all the connections and its hooked up the way it should be but still doesnt work. I think i may have done something to the ignitor of the system but need some expert opinion. Ive already reasearched the companys web site and can not find a replacement to the ignitor. If the ignitor is the problem where can i find a replacement? and if it isnt the ignitor what other damage have i done and is it fixable? feedback would be greatly appreciated as my ladies are in thier third week and i would like to give em a boost. Thanks

2. I don't quite understand what you're doing with the two male plugs. One goes to an outlet and the other goes to what?

Edit: Just do a search for 150w hps ignitor or sometimes its called a starter. I found many sites that had a 400w hps ignitor when I needed one. Or you could call a local electrical supply wholesaler, they may have one.

3. when i made the remote system i made the lamp so you coulld unplug it. there is a male and female connection from the lamp to the ballast. the power suply cord also has a male fitting for to go to a wall socket outlet. hence two male connections. one to plug into the wall and one to plug into the lamp witch has a female connection to it. I accidentially switched them and it doesnt work the ballast still hums but the lamp will not ignite. i think its the starter but an not sure. How much did you spend on yours? because im not sure if the starters my problem but if its cheap its worth a shot. thanks for your feeedback.

4. Well, a starter for my 400w hps was $30. Without diag testing I would say its mostly likely your starter or lamp (bulb). Not sure if this works with all hps lights but take the bulb out of the socket and turn it on. Listen for a clicking or popping sound. This sound is made by the starter. If its not making any sound it means your starter isn't working. This may or may not be true with your light.

This is only my guess. But it sounds like you sent 120VAC to your starter. That would probably damage it. If you have an extra lamp that you know works, try it first.

5. yup no crackling sound, and i know the lamp is good it was only used for about 10 days on 18/6. Will go to some local electrical supply place once they open monday. Thanks ksac for your help greatly appreciated.

6. No prob. I hope the new starter gets you going again. Good luck and I hope you get some awesome buds.

7. ok new problem the local electrical supply place are telling me that a starter for my 150w hps is going to be around 60 dollars and that its better just to buy a new system. are they really this much u said u payed 30 for a 400w system. is there anywhere online i can buy one. ive searched but could not find one.

8. You may have already thought of this. An idea to keep this from happening again is to have the male plug coming from the lamp and the female coming from your ballast.

9. dude your incredible i dont know how u found it i searched for two days. Yeah when i originally wired it i color coded it not to mess up the one male plug is all black coating on the wires and the other is blue but i guess i forgot now im good . thanks once again man for all the help

10. Glad to help. I actually like the idea of being able to "unplug" my lamp so its easier to run my wire through the wall instead of unwiring my socket and pushing the wire through the wall and wiring it back up again. I don't like keeping my ballast in grow room unless the outside temps are really low.