Electrical question, please help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Taylored, Sep 29, 2012.

1. I am looking to grow in my attic but there are no electrical outlets there, so my questions are

1. What do I call and ask my electrician to actually do?
    2. How much should I expect to pay for a few outlets to be installed?

2. I would be careful calling an electrician its a security risk unless your in legal state.
    That being said if you have some outlets in your house you don't use you could cut power at the breaker box disconnect and unwire the outlet. Next from the attic find corresponding wires, pull them up and rewire and mount your outlet. You can get blank covers for your walls at home depot to cover up unsightly holes. I ran the power in my attic from a closet light i didn't use and didn't spend a dime... The most import step in this process it shutting down the breaker box to avoid electrocution.

The path to true enlightenment begins with the spark of a lighter

3. 1. Well lots do things up in there attic. I would tell him you plan on putting a dehumidifer up there. Those use a fair amount of power.

2. Can vary but probably up to 50 60 a hour then probably 100 for materials. 1 outlet will take less then a hour to put in. I have a bonus room in my garage, had them earlier in the year add a outlet.

On a side note Attic grows tend to suck. You have little insulation usually, wild temperatures that can last for a while, stagnate air. Sheds, Closets, Garages, and Attics all tend to make less then satisfactory grow areas. Some are better then others but if you can set up a tent in a room you will be better off.

Cooling of lights is passive. Meaning you use air flow to cool it. Well when its 95 in the attic your lights will add 10-15 degrees to it. When its winter and its 30-50 your plants will either die or just not grow.

4. I was going to use a tent, do I still have to worry about the temps?

5. #5 rhapsodyrcks, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
    Yup. If your sucking in hot air your tent will never cool, if its cold air tent will be cold.

A tent will never be cooler then the ambient air surrounding it. A tent will be hotter then the cool air around but not by huge numbers. If its 50 in your attic then probably 60-65 with a light on depending on what your using. A tent is just very thin fabric, well put it this way my 4x4x7 tent I can lift off the ground and walk around with it if its empty.

Can you do it sure! Just have to be aware that cannabis likes the tempertures you like. 70-80 degrees is ideal. My tent usually hovers around 80-83. Cannabis doesnt like it cold nor nuclear flame thrower hot. Attics tend to have dramatic temperature swings. The whole reason is because it a cushion for your house from the out elements. It stops contact from the sun so your house is not a furnance and in the winter the warm air rising from the ceiling fills the attic and acts as a buffer against the cold.

6. If I wanted to grow with around 1600w, how many outlets would I need to not risk starting a fire?

7. [quote name='"Taylored"']If I wanted to grow with around 1600w, how many outlets would I need to not risk starting a fire?[/quote]

1600w is that lights only? I wanna say 3 outlets would suffice but you still need to consider fans and ventilation

The path to true enlightenment begins with the spark of a lighter

8. You most likely will not be able to pull 1600 watts from one circuit breaker...so your costs just went up as he will have to put in a larger one or multiple ones. Usually anything past 1600 watts will trip a breaker.

9. Ill probay just go with a 1000w tent then

10. At least a 30w if not a 50w breaker.

30w can run 4x1000w easily but not much else. I would limit it to 3 plus add ons (fans and the like).

50w goes up accordingly, nice thing about a 50 is it will be more than you ever need.

FYI a 1000w tent is a 4x4 with 4-9 plants.

11. Have you grown indoors before?
    1000W in any size tent will cause a lot of heat, but if you live in a cold place it may be fine.