Electrical problems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fatnorma, Feb 3, 2014.

1. #1 fatnorma, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
    Hey guys so I just set up my 4000W room and I'm having some trouble with the electrical things. I had my fan and lights plugged into a pretty huge surge protector, but it was shorting out every 15 minutes or so. I currently have them plugged into 3 different outlets running at 50%. My hydro shop told me to get an 8-site hid hub but I have no idea how to set it up. So any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys!

P.s. Sorry about all the shit in the back. This grow is in a garage, so there's still some stuff in there.

Attached Files:

2. Your drawing WAY too much power from one breaker dude. If I understand, you have 1 surge protector plugged in 1 outlet with 4-1000w lights plugged in??

3. it's split in half between two outlets. One outside the room and one in it.

4. That's still too much, and do you know that those 2 outlets are on separate circuits? You can really only put one 1000w light per circuit, 15 or 20 amp. I think a 1000w pulls something around 11-12 amps and you only want to stress a breaker at 80% max.

4000 watts means no typical circuit (max 1400 watts) can support that power.  Your numbers imply a major human safety danger.

Circuit breakers trip due to too much current.  Surge protector does nothing until line voltage (ie 120 volts) well exceeds a trip voltage (ie well above 330 volts).  Electricity has a long list of potential anomalies.  Your one anomaly (too much current) is completely irrelevant to what a surge protector does (excessive voltage).  Surge protector is often recommended by naive consumers to do things it could never do.

6. Wow. Need to find an electrician or a close friend.that knows what's up. Unless you want your shit to burn down. Sent from my SCH-S720C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I would recommend doing some online searches for a separate box running off your original fuse box. I run a similar setup and it cost a couple hundo but worth every penny. Don't need ladies catching on fire and running down the street. Holla back and I can send some pics of mine and site to check outSent from my SCH-S720C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. [quote name="Crabmando" post="19459320" timestamp="1391458913"]I would recommend doing some online searches for a separate box running off your original fuse box. I run a similar setup and it cost a couple hundo but worth every penny. Don't need ladies catching on fire and running down the street. Holla back and I can send some pics of mine and site to check outSent from my SCH-S720C using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote] yeah man show me what you've got. I only have 3 lights plugged in right now running 50%. Should I still be worried about shit catching fire?Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. @[member="Crabmando"] also, did you set it up yourself or did you have someone else do it?Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. I had help from a friend. He just got out of school for that shit so that helped. It wasn't hard but I second guess myself and it usually gets me in trouble... 1391481842932.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Web site top right

12. Running a box like this gives you peace of mind that your investment is safe. I currently run 3/1000w wit room for one more to max my space but as you can see its set up for 4/240 and 4/120 giving all you might need. This all runs to my fuse box to a 30amp breaker. All the pictured box is set to a timer and whamo.

13. @[member="Crabmando"] which model is it? They range from $150-500

14. It looks like they plug into a dryer outlet, but I don't really have access to any down in my garage.

That box implies the guy did not learn basic safety standards.  For example, plugs with two parallel rectangular prongs (ie brown and ivory ones at the bottom of that box) are only for 120 volts.  The position of each plug's prong defines only a 120 VAC power source AND power cords that can handle 1400 watts.  Those plugs and power cords cannot be used on 240 volts.  A completely different receptacle and plug must be used for 240 volts.

No useful answers are possible without more numbers.  If each bulb is 1000 watts, then it can only be powered from one receptacle.  And you must know the current rating of that receptacle's circuit breaker.  So that a useful answer is possible.

You know that three 1000 watt bulbs must be powered from at least two different (and maybe three different) circuits breakers in the main circuit box.  IOW you must know which receptacles connect to which circuit breaker.  Only then (with the amp number for each circuit breaker) can anyone provide a responsible answer.

The shape of each receptacle and plug defines a unique voltage and current.  120 volt receptacles cannot be used for 240 volts circuits.

16. All those outlets are part of the box. Not sure of model #

17. Damn I'm so confused. I wish I could just tell an electrician what I was doing and have him set it all up. Even though my grow is completely legal haha

18. Thanks for info westom. Brown 240 white 120. Got ya

19. Call one up then. I had to call a heater dude to come and work on renai. He loved it. Tip doesn't hurt and a verbal hush agreement. My state is legal too so why can't we pay pros to do it. Helps everyone!

20. LOL 4000 watts need to be on 3-4 seperate CIRCUITS, not outlets. You have to go all through the house and map out all the circuits to split up the power. This requires you to plug a bunch of stuff ( like small light bulbs/cfls at every outlet) in and intentionally trip the breaker to see which outlets are tied together on the same circuit.

Mark all the outlets as you go testing which ones blow together, run heavy duty extension cords from them and break the lamps up evenly (since you have 4 1000's might as well try to find 4 circuits, no way you can fit two of those on one circuit).