Electrical/Lighting Concerns

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jojotdb, Aug 18, 2016.

1. New member here. Colorado medical patient and long time smoker. So, after 20+ years of consuming cannabis, I'm finally in a position where I can cultivate my own. This is my first grow, which will be in a space of 4.5' x 7.5' x 8' height. I will be growing 8-10 plants in 5 gallon pots. I will be using 4 400w MH for veg and 2 1000w HPS for flower. My question is this. Can I plug my ballasts directly into a power strip to run my lights, or do I need to have an electrician do some crazy re wiring crap? Keep in mind that I know nothing about electrical. The house I live in was built in 79, and I'm guessing has pretty basic outlets. I just don't want to fry anything or start a fire. I've looked a bit around the forums for answers, but couldn't find anything that I understood. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. I would use Good Surge Protectors! And find out if you have 110 volt or 220 volt running in your house. It Makes a big difference!
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I could get into it, but the short answer is to get fresh circuits(directly from the panel with new breakers) to your grow room, circuits that are dedicated for your grow room.
    If the room is close to the panel you can probably do it yourself without wrecking shit.
    Combine all the wattage you think will be on at one time(don't forget the fans), and divide it by 120(your voltage), the answer will be your current(amps), which will give you an idea of the breaker(s)/wire/number of circuits you will need.
    If you don't, having 2 1000watt ballasts firing up at once would probably trip a 15A breaker. Typical circuit in a house can only handle about 1500 watts continuously.

• Like Like x 2
  4. If you own your home then learn it. Nothing like having to dismantle your entire grow because you have to hire a repairman to come in and fix something.

Since I started growing I've learned how to install a water heater, how to fix and maintain my furnace, how to wire my own sub-panel, and other basic plumbing repairs.

If you want to run almost 4kw then you're going to have to educate yourself on basic home wiring. Even if you manage to find a discrete electrician (hydro shops are a good place to ask for references) it's still a good idea to have an understanding of it.

The parts cost about $120+ for a sub-panel, including the wire and new outlets. See what an electrician would charge, parts and labor should be about 50/50 but the trick is finding somebody who won't overcharge you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I just want to say that I've made a lot of money because of people with your mindset.
    I agree that home wiring isn't very complicated, but the difference between Joe Handyman and an electrician is that electricians know code. Now I'm not saying that you personally, dont know any code rules, but there have been many times when I've opened something up and the previous homeowner knew the basics, but because it's not to code, I get to rip it apart, do it properly, and hand the homeowner an extra charge so that they can pass an electrical inspection.
    But if it's not getting inspected who gives a fuck about code right?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Code is easy to follow, it's not some mysterious language that only electricians can understand. I've rebuilt combustion chambers, natural gas lines, I've had the fire marshal peeking over my shoulder and utilities inspecting my work on apartment buildings. Pass with flying colors.

Basic home wiring is simple and easy to keep above code, but I understand what you're doing so it's all good. We all gotta make a living, eh?

7. It's funny that Vector mentions that because my home actually wasn't up to code before I worked on it. Sort of like his scenario only the complete opposite. You never hear about the jobs that ARE done right, only the catastrophic failures.

• Like Like x 1
  8. What I'm doing is trying to offer professional advise for free to my fellow weedmen. Whats your trade?

9. I have to agree. Wiring a home to code takes a bit of research but nothing a homeowner can't tackle with a little common sense. Electricians may know code but any Joe handyman can easily find out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. How does this make a difference ?

11. Sure, I'm just proud of my trade, just as all the seasoned growers are proud of their trade.
    I'm here to take advice from said growers, and if they want to talk about my trade I'm happy to help.
    I'm just glad I learned electrical first, and now trying to learn this new trade, which can require a lot of electricity

12. Bro don't get so defensive. Theres definetly a need for electricians. I work commercial construction. There's a need for all trades. I come from a long line of contractors and construction workers of all trades. Most of my friends are in the building trade.

This guy isn't looking to wire a hospital, gas station or even an entire house. Just a home grow. Something a homeowner can easily do on his day off. I try to sell my skills as much as possible too but I know when it comes to small stuff a homeowner can also get it done and save $$. I'm a homeowner. This is one of the times. Doesn't mean he will. Might go out and hire a team of electricians. That's his choice. My opinion is a homeowner can easily take the time, learn some simple wiring and save some $$. And best of all learn something. As a homeowner I take pride in learning my house and teaching myself new skills.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dude, I respect anyone that wants to try new things and learn stuff, ThickenDense, sorry if I came off as a jerk. I'm here to make friends and share knowledge.
    To the original poster, I don't doubt that you can add circuits and wire plugs, I encourage it.
    My main point was that if your grow room is on the top floor or clear across your developed basement, you might need a professional to run the wire or you will have a decent drywall repair bill.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drywall is a super easy repair. The only thing you mentioned was electrical code

15. It's in my first comment. Something about "wrecking shit".

16. #16 Robbie714, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    How does this make a difference! Because no matter which way he goes either to have the electrician look at his wiring and make sure it's safe for him to use his lighting system, without No problems! I have 220volts. I also charge my car, through my Home electricity. He doesn't know much about electricity. It's not to be played with if you don't have a clue of what you're doing. And wiring and adding circuits is not necessary. Unless he has a problem with the circuit breaker. I have Surge protectors that will let me know if he's running to much power. Because it is how much power is being consumed. And if to much power is being run at one time the SP will not let to much power be ran without it blowing. I seen a lot of friends blow their lights because they didn't have a good surge protector or none at all mostly because of in experience. He's not just running a 600Hid lol. He will need to have electrician take a look at his wiring. If he's unsure. it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  17. Relax man

• Like Like x 1
  18. watts ÷ volts = amps, work out your amps work out if its safe for your circuit, also consider what else is in use on the same circuit not just lights

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks to everyone who replied. Got pretty much all the answers I was looking for. As I do not own the house that I live in, and would never want anything bad to happen, I'm going to go the safe route and have someone come look at my set up. I agree with the responses about educating myself, and have full intentions of doing so. Fortunately for me, the grow is not yet set up, so I dont have to dismantle anything, and I know an electrician with years of experience who is trustworthy, and will gladly teach me some basics. Thanks again for the help!!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Carpenters local 17, why?