Electrical Help Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tdoy77, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Hi there I want to start a new grow room and it is not wired at all. I would like to add in sufficent electricity for 2 400Watt MH and 2 600w HPS bulbs and also have enough for some smaller systems like venalation, CO2 and others. your help is greatly appriciated.

2. So you want to start a 2000w grow? Have you read the stickies?

2000w+ fans etc is going to require 30 amps available.

3. Okay, slow down. Go read http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/349438-electricity-usage-wiring-saftey-you.html about a dozen times. Then go hire an electrician. DO NOT TRY TO WIRE THIS YOURSELF!!! That's alot of power, alot of watts and you need to know exactly what you are doing. I would hate to have you loose everything, including your life, due to fire from faulty wiring. Just out of curiousity, why are you going so big, so fast? Maybe you could start a little smaller, then work your way up as you gain experience. Stay safe!!

4. thanks alot. ill definatly listen to you and hire and electrician to do that for me.:wave:

5. I know you know this, but I thought I would still throw it out there. Don't tell the electrician what this is for. :D

6. Assuming your house is newer construction, wiring 110 is braindead simple, and 220 only slightly more complicated. I did all my own wiring, no electrician needed and it really is not all that complicated. I did have to pay the township $50 for the inspection (no work permit required since i was working on my own house), but the inspector was a great resource when I had questions (of which there were very few).

Just remember, white to silver, black to brass, and tie the uninsulated wire to the green screw. Also, put a GFI on every circuit (cause life is worth the $12 ;-) I wired five circuits including one in 220 for less the $200 including inspection.

Just my $.02.

7. The way I have mine wired is using a 220 single phase in to my grow room and just spiting it off so 2 of my lights go from a socket to a 15 amp breaker to one of the hot leads the other 2 are on the other lead of the 220 so each is getting 110 its like running a 2 110 lines but saving the space and time of running two lines. Then I have 4 open sockets for random stuff with a 15 amp fuse ran two a pair of sockets. you can also use a 220v timer in line for your lights. Or you can buy one here .
    http://www.progressive-growth.com/timers_timerboards_relays_flipflops.php

if you go this route you only need to buy the wire 10/3 from home depot costs like 80 for 100 ft a 30 amp single phase double pull breaker that works with your box have a open spot in the box and use some caution when doing so or like said above if you have no clue don't do it def can hurt yourself if you mess up. How ever you can run the wire to the box and just have some one hook it up in the box for you and save some money.;)

8. thanks lizzard ill make sure to remember;). i love the advice you guys have given me. I think i might be able to do the wiring myself with some reading,but id probably need a diagram drawn to show what goes where..