Electrical Help needed...fan installation

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stroomz, Nov 8, 2008.

1. #1 Stroomz, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
    Hey guys i need a little help im starting a super super stealth grow in a room in my house..i bought two 30mm radio shack cooling fans...they say 120VAC on them, there is just two wires coming from the fan, can someone tell me how to make them work? do i just hook them to wires that have a wall plug and plug into the wall?? and im not sure how to tell which wire is negative and positive:confused:...quick responses appreciated thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dude, wait.

it doesn't sound right, 30mm cooling fans don't usually run on house current (120VAC). provide the specs and/or a link to the product details online.

3. if these are computer fans, like they probably are, you will need a 12V DC adapter to be able to plug the fans in to your wall. you can find these adapters for most electronics...phone chargers, power adaptors for various game systems, etc. it is important to get the right amount of voltage; too little and the fans won't work, too much and the fans will burn out.

splice the fan wires to the DC adaptor wires and make sure they are totally encased in at least electrical tape, if not wire nuts and electrical tape. if the wire splices ever touch each other while there is electricity going through them it will create a spark that could start a fire.

if these are not computer fans or don't require DC, then they should already have a wall plug on it.

4. #4 OldSkool1010, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
  5. Sounds like you bought yourself a couple of little computer fans. If that's the case, they are NOT meant to run straight off house current. They are meant to be connected to a computer power supply through the motherboard of a computer.

DANGEROUS (and not condoned):
    Although this method is very dangerous, leaves you very susceptible to shortages, burn outs, and fires, you may use your two wire into wall outlet adapter, or you may simply strip a computer power supply cord, plug one end into the wall, and connect the other ends with electrical wire nuts to the red and black wires of your fans.

6. (I got beat to it)

7. all the computer power supply is is a DC adaptor, which can be found and obtained through a multitude of ways, usually for pretty cheap if you look around (I paid $5 for 2 Gamecube DC adaptors that work perfectly)

and are you suggesting putting the two bare wires in the wall outlet?? I really hope I misread that because its just a terrible idea.

8. No its not a normal computer fan..they are almost all metal and i tried 3 diferent Dc plugs....says 60hz 120Vac...ill get you guys a pic hold on on minute.

9. See above

10. I know u dont have to worry about + and - but if your wall outlet has + and - wouldnt u just have to worry about the direction of the fan spinning. like if u hook up one wire to + and one to - and the fan spins the wrong way just switch the wires.. so like dont tape alot of shit up and make it final u know test which wire needs to go where before making it final..man i dont think this made since at all. or what i was tryin to put out there lol

11. tlhat's not how alternating current motors work They will always spin in the same direction regardless of which way you plug it in.

12. alright i see
    cool

13. yea thats the exact one and i posted two pics...so all i do is hook the wires to a wall plug and im ready to go? im kinda afraid lol

14. it only hurts a little if you screw up. LOL

Take a cord with a regular plug on one end and skin back about as much insulation from the other end as the wires coming from the fan. If the fan's wires are not already stripped, strip about 3/8" insulation from all 4 wires. Also, split the wires on the cord (carefully so as to not expose any wire).

Check the link for details.

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm

15. turns out i was looking at some of the customer reviews....everyone said its very loud and thats my biggest thing i need to worry about..might have to return them:eek:

16. This was the best review:

\t Chewed my fingers to pieces! :laughing:

\t
    \t\t By KG4ICN \t from Asheville NC\t on 8/3/2007\t
    \t\t \t \t \t \t Pros:
    Quiet, Reliable
    \t
    \t \t\t\t Cons:
    No warnings on power, No guard sold at RS
    \t
    \t \t\t\t Describe Yourself:
    Heavy Duty User
    \t
    \t \t\t\t Primary use:
    Personal
    \t
    \t \t\t\t \t \t \t \t \t \t \t Bottom Line:
    No, I would not recommend this to a friend

17. Thankyou for everyone who helped me out ++rep for them...and yea the fan iss wayy to loud sounds like a lil jet plane..haha but it does push airflow wonderfully:cool:

18. Look dude I,am a electrician for 21 years ok that said what you have are two 115 v computer fans I would not suggest using them because ( A ) they are not rated for what you want to use them for ( B ) I don,t beleave they put out enough air movement ( C ) white is always your neutral black is your hot wire or common wire as we call it in the electrical field and you must always have a ground wire it,s purpose and only purpose is to protect you from electrical shock or death .........NOTE .people any time you put a cord spice on something so that you can plug it in to get power if it does not have a white and black and green wire on it just because it works does not mean it,s SAFE .......this is what you do hook white to white black to black green to green if the fan or light does not have a green wire strip the green wire back to expose the copper there should be a green screw some where in or on the fan or light wrap the exposed copper end of the green wire around the green screw and tighten the screw snug the fan or light must be grounded always please to protect you and whom ever may come across it ..... thank you hope I helped some one with the information:hello:

19. Most of the info you got in this thread is wrong. I use the same fans to vent my clone room. They will work just fine to vent a small space as long as you don't hook them to more then 12" of ducting. Best used screwed right to the vent hole of your box.

Most of you don't know that this type of fan can safely plug right into your wall socket. 115VAC means your normal wall socket will work.

Find any two prong lamp or applience cord. Buy some small wire nuts (get an assorted pack of them) and some black electric tape. Wont matter what wire you hook to, as long as it is tight in the nut and not touching the set of wires next to it. Hell just hook the damn thing up, hard to fuck up this one.

Here is the same fan in use inside my clone room:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have used them to cool a hot ballast (yeah thats the same fan)
    [​IMG]

Here is one I installed in my stereo closet (even hooked to a thermostat)
    [​IMG]

I rest my case.

20. I meant no disrespect to you I thought you where going yo use the fans for wind movement for the room sorry but I will tell you this if your fan is not polarized meaning grounded to it,s self or grounded to the housing of the fan some how it is very unsafe even though it is working with out a ground wire on it if something locked up on fan while you where gone some where the electricity gows to ground if it does not short out .it makes the housing become hot .a gfI plug will not trip with no ground unless the neutral touches the hot wire some how just looking out for you sorry if I a fended you