Electric company installed new meters should I be worried

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deleted member 923969, Aug 21, 2019.

1. The small town I live in sent out a city worker to our apartment to change everybody's electric meters to new electronic looking ones. Should I be concerned as a grower could they somehow monitor my usage and report it.

Sent from my KFASWI using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. No ,,, the electric company first sends letters saying you power usage is up and do you want them to come out and find out why ...
    I think meter readers are becoming a thing of the past . and it soon will be all computerized.
    I don't know this for sure but I think the power company notifying the police over high power bills isn't done anymore or was never done .

3. How much power are you using to grow (wattage of your grow light)?

4. Not much at all in fact some neighbors use more than I do when I go to check the meters myself. I was just mainly worried thinking they could monitor usage based on timeframes of my wall timer turning on and off at certain times I was worried they could figure that stuff out or something

5. I don't know what "not much at all" means but I'm guessing you're only growing a couple of plants with maybe a 600w fixture. If I were worried about it, I would change out your most used household light bulbs to CFL or LED in an amount that roughly compensates for the grow light. Personally though, I wouldn't worry about it unless I were growing with 2 or more 1kW fixtures or something.

6. I got one of those letters saying that we were using 30% more electricity than the neighbors.
    But it's only about one extra kilowatt.
    Nothing happended after the letter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I am always "learly" about those meters......that's just because I know how Companies are....money money money is all the see......

• Like Like x 1
  8. LOL I remember when the meters could be pulled out and plugged in upside down and you could run the meter backwards .

9. I get the letter saying my kilowatt usage is up from the past years.
    I have about 6000 watts of lighting fans and pumps on 12 hours per day
    Summer time the power bill goes up because of the swamp coolers .
    My power bill runs 250.00 month .
    It was 180.00 before summer and before the new power rates went up .
    I expect 250 to 300.00 a months in power bills .

10. Our electric cost here is roughly $110 a month plus an additional 50 for sewage and water only lights I have running is 3 1200 watt morsen lights and 1 1000 watt morsen along with a 150watt sandalwood all run for 16 hours a day

11. Eventually they’ll be monitoring our bowel emptying frequency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1