Electric company creepin on me.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by FlawlessMagnum, Mar 26, 2013.

1. So apparently i use twice as much energy as houses near me.

ForumRunner_20130326_161924.png

My electric companies has been sending me these notices the last couple months sayin im using a shit load. Apparently my homes inefficient as fuck. Ive only lived here for 18 months and last winter i was doin a bunch of remodeling so i expected higher rates. Like october my usage skyrockets. Which is funny because thats when my grow lights and my furnace kicked on so the two combined made it look like a big jump.

ForumRunner_20130326_163022.png

I think my biggest problem is i have four single pane windows so i lose a lot of heat through them. My house is little so i gotta find ways to lower my rates or it may become suspicious.

Anyone else got notices from there electric company about their energy usage?

2. use less energy is the only logical response to this thread ..

3. What kind of lights do you grow with?

4. watch out for the5-0

5. Do you grow? If so, you should look into getting a more efficient set-up before the police start scoping out your house based on the information from the power company. If not, it could just be the fact that you have a lot of inefficient appliances sucking up a ton of power.

I'm pretty sure they just send out these notices as a "heads-up" more than anything else.

6. Police in general don't get electric company info without a search warrant already. The electric company isn't ratting anybody out because if it did 95% of people would be innocent. Some people have hot tubs and TVs they leave on all day. I had a house one time with 18 computers in it sucking up nearly 600 watts each running 24:7 that's pretty much the same as a 12,000watt setup. They did call us and send a notice that we might have a problem but I just told them we were running blade servers and they said ok and that they would stop sending the notices.

7. Yeah, the police can't obtain the info. but if you give them a reason to look your fucked.

8. If you give them a reason to look you are fucked anyways. Honestly they have busted people for having light bills too low. Said they thought they must be stealing power to grow. No matter what your bill is the government will trample all over our rights.

9. I agree, i've heard of things i know are true that police have done that are alot more far-fetched then this, find a way OP!

10. You can start by unplugging unused appliances. Toaster, lights, microwave, etc. Phone chargers even use electric if you leave them plugged in after charging your phone. Try to cut back on your heat too. Set it lower and use big blankets. Do you fall asleep with the TV on? Put the sleep timer on. Anything you can think of that will save energy. Everything will make a difference. I only run my dehumidifier in my grow room only at night because that's when it's most needed but changing things up like that will lower your bill quite a bit. If all fails, I would consider relocating. Good luck.

11. pay your fucking bill on time.

if youre ACTUALLY worried about the efficiency of your house, consult some1.

If youre just worried about them alerting cappers, i wouldnt worry unless you live in a state that views MJ as a very serious drug.

Dont think they would rat you out cause if they made a habit of that, they would lose their best customers. The more energy you use, the more money they get from you. have they asked you to get it checked out?

12. Swap all your bulbs with cfl it helps a bit..a 75w puts off a little brighter than a 60w regular bulb

13. dam your bills so high its off da charts!

at my house we have these "mood lights" that are very cheap and emit enough light at night so we can see so we don't use any of our normal lights. best part about them is they change colors. it cut our electric bill almost in half cos now we don't use our normal lights. just make sure you put them against the wall. if you don't put em up correctly it can look like crap. i get a lot of compliments on em though, their pretty fuckin awesome.

heres a link: Amazon.com: Lighting EVER RGB LED Strips, Multi Color Light Strip, LED Ribbon Lights, Pack of 16.4ft/5m: Home & Kitchen

so any lights you have, make sure you stay ontop of them and make sure everything off when you aren't using it.

14. Those are cool what color you have yellow or white?..oh they change never mind

15. A 400w hps
    Yea i have a garage full of equipment that i could just say i was running all the time even though im not if i ever were asked.
    I definitely need to do both of these things.
    I do pay on time whats that have to do with anything?

16. Those are bad ass, i do need something to take over for my overhead lights.

17. i got a deal for a pack of 5, 16ft strips for only $65 and it came with a couple remotes that has over 20 different color settings. you can even set em to fade into one another so you can have a cool light show goin on. if you bargain shop a little bit im sure you can find em for $20-30 for 16 ft.

18. That link says 16ft for 20 think im gonna grab one

19. so whos usually higher you or your bill?:smoking:

20. I usually have to get pretty high to read my bill lmao