Electoral College, Popular Vote, Gerrymandering, REDMAP, GOP Voter Suppression & War on Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChiefRunningPhist, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Popular vote or electoral college? HRC, Gore, and Grover Cleveland all won the popular vote but ultimately conceded the presidency due to an unrepresentative electoral college. Perhaps a case like the compromise of 1877 is setting up?

Imo when you allow for gerrymandering to the extent that its currently been done, the system isn't accurately reflecting the voice of the nation. Imo its an embarrasing and obvious indicator of a flawed system. How about standardizing how congressional districts can be drawn and/or doing away with the electoral college? What about a popular vote with a block chain to insure integrity of the process?

Issue Brief: Gerrymandering - Reclaim the American Dream

What is gerrymandering?...
    KENSOBMKNQ7ILKFUNRZ2H6JPWA.png

Here's a real life example. Due to the GOP's REDMAP initiative, they've been able to skew election results in a disproportionate manner...
    2x2-map.jpg

What is REDMAP?
    How The Republican Party Constructed An Ironclad Advantage In The Midterm Election

What kind of impact has it had?...
    Gerrymandering-Results.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anything but the popular vote should be discarded.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Allowing political parties to draw their own electoral maps is complete insanity. It creates an inherent incentive for corruption.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. So you think NYC and the western seaboard should say who's going to win the presidency. Yawn. What do you want from me?
    What do you think about voter fraud? Or should I even ask?
    Raising the dead from the grave by the thousands to vote. (So far the oldest voter was born in 1850) Illegal aliens allowed to vote. Non residents allowed to vote. Hundreds of thousands of votes for one party-single candidate appear in the night. Observers not allowed to observe the count, even after court ordered. Signature verification joke. "Software glitches" that counted Trump votes for Biden. All at the same time, everywhere that software is used. Recounts still not allowing observers to verify. It goes on and on for days. What are democrats trying to hide? Why are the very people who told us we would all get sick and die if we go out to vote now block partying in the streets?
    Before it's even finished the mob hired and promoted by the left to distribute racial hatred, Marxist ideals and burn their own cities down are already attempting to extort the White House. This is what the Harris/Biden White House will look like. And we now know how Biden does business. The DNC run media is avoiding it like a plague, but it's all in the open.
    You don't want to verify voter integrity, and you won't be happy till select portions of the country have all the pull. And you will riot till you get your way.
    So when did you turn communist, or were you taught that in school?

• Like Like x 1
  5. HA! No none of that is happening. Judges laughing in trump lawyer faces is all I've seen.
    Better read this, from a right winger paper even..
    https://nypost.com/2020/11/14/u-s-attorneys-tell-william-barr-no-findings-of-widespread-fraud/

After you read that, drop some links to the fraud you're talking about, maybe tell me where I can find sasquatch too.

6. I would prefer that we move to the popular vote only and back to all voting by hand, counted by hands. No electronics at all.

7. The political parties are corporations, and are sponsored by big money from corporate interests, why anyone votes in this system is beyond me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. But one group good and other group bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. #11 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    There's no middle ground between voter suppression and fair representation. Between corrupted gerrymandering or fair representation.

I see what you're saying and understand your apathy, but imo voting is very important.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. IMO this is the entire problem - two sides pitted against each other with both sides swearing the other side is entirely to blame.

j

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. I think people need to ask themselves what policies and legislation have they actually benefited from which stem from the politicians and party they choose to vote for.

I think you're right, political identity is cultural and until we can strip that away and look at policy and legislation for what it is we'll be easily duped and manipulated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. This is why I will never identify with a specific party. One may be good for one issue but horrible at the next - and vice versa.

I look at each issue on an issue by issue basis and wouldn’t think of standing up for something simply because “its the strategy my political party is taking - right or wrong”.

My feelings anyhow.

j

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. #15 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    @jerry111165

What's your take on what the GOP have been doing? With this attack on voting? Can we agree that only one side is to blame in these cases? And can we agree that reducing taxes hurts the less wealthy by reducing gov subsidies meant to offset the healthcare (amoung other services/programs) which congress is unwilling to regulate or nationalize (its just greed)? Can we agree that it's the GOP that's been working to repeal healthcare, while the dems have been trying to bolster? Can we agree that opposition to legalizing MJ is coming from the GOP? Can we agree that statistically immigrants are a net+ on US economy and that the attack on immigration is actually politically motivated (can't have them vote)?

Those are individual issues where I see the democrats in the right and the republicans in the wrong. These are the most glaring political issues of our time imo.

If you give me some other individual issues, I'll make more individual analysis, and I may side with the GOP on some cases.

I don't think one group is better than another, but I do think that one group is primarily on the wrong side, in the most important issues, and for kinda selfish reasons. Not saying all republicans are bad, and all democrats are good, talking about the leadership here, not applying to all the constituents.

14. Gotta head off to work right now but we can both pull out the stupidest shit that BOTH sides have done over the years - you cant just pull negative stuff out right now because if we look at history I have zero doubt whatsoever that its both sides that have done the stupidest stuff over the years - back and forth and your first several sentences confirms and completely proves my point about the back and forth “I’M RIGHT - MY SIDE IS RIGHT” bullshit between the two parties that is breaking this country apart.

This stuff goes in cycles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Of course you do and your posts every day prove it.

j

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Well lets be fair, not because of tribal affiliation, at least that's the point I'm trying to make. The most significant issues seem to be what's mostly discussed and like I said they don't seem to shed a positive light on the republican agenda. Though it also could be that I'm just missing some of the data and drawing unfair conclusions... ...

17. Yup.. As long as we have the current "2 party system" nothing will ever change.

There are over 200 million registered voters in the US.
    How could they all fit into only 2 categories?
    So do I choose the guy who I agree with on 25% of the issues or the guy who I agree with on 10%? And I know for a fact both of those guys are corporate sponsored shills.
    Thats not a great choice.
    It costs around a billion dollars to successfully run for president, which kind of makes it tough for a 3rd (or 4th or 5th) party to ever break through.
    But yeah.. One side bad, one side good.

• Agree Agree x 1