elder scrolls advice (not skyrim)

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by lar20, Nov 30, 2011.

1. #1 lar20, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
    Ive attempted to get into these games before but just never really could. ive watched friends play oblivion and skyrim and think they are so cool to watch but when i tried oblivion idk i just couldnt get into it (i will admit i didnt give it much of a chance though). i own morrowind for my pc and have tried before and started really enjoying it but then just got really annoyed because i somebody asked me to do something and i looked the quest up online to find out it had a really nice axe as a reward so i tried,got really lost,got really annoyed,and uninstalled the game lol. anyways im gunna give morrowind another try. anyone have any tips so i can sort of get into it? prehaps tips so i dont get lost because if i remember correctly theres not a great navigation system. i understand one of the best parts of these games is getting lost and adventuring through the unknown which i love but if im on a quest i dont wanna end up 2 hours away from where i was suppost to go. fallout 3 was one of my favorite games so i have a feeling that i could fall in love with this series too as soon as i get the hang of everything

2. Couldn't get into Oblivion but Skyrim was a different story ;P

Edit : Lol, 1000th post, was trying to make it special but I guess I forgot.

3. morrowind is hard to get into if you haven't already played it, the combat system is pretty annoying

you want a high agility so you don't miss a lot and keep your weapon skill high too. Also you probably want to keep fatigue potions because you're pretty worthless without fatigue

and be careful when you pick your skills, only your major skills count towards leveling you up

oh and definitely get into alchemy, you can abuse the hell out of it.. and steal shit, lots of shit

4. lol well i just reinstalled the game and on my way to balmora for my first quest i saw a little cave type thing to go into. i go in and get attcked and killed in 3 hits...oh the rage

5. lol yeah I always use console commands to give my skills a little boost

the early game is brutal if you play straight up

6. I have morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim for PC and morrowind and oblivion for xbox, and I have to say the game is so much more fun on a console because the controls are much smoother and more precise. It makes a big difference for this series since its got a pretty advanced control system and having all the buttons set up specifically for the game is easier than trying to stretch you hand in awkward positions all over the keyboard while your trying to keep the crosshairs on the target, hitting the potion button, jumping, strafing at an angle, hovering over the switch weapon button and attacking all at the same time.

7. [quote name='"Santas Spy"']I have morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim for PC and morrowind and oblivion for xbox, and I have to say the game is so much more fun on a console because the controls are much smoother and more precise. It makes a big difference for this series since its got a pretty advanced control system and having all the buttons set up specifically for the game is easier than trying to stretch you hand in awkward positions all over the keyboard while your trying to keep the crosshairs on the target, hitting the potion button, jumping, strafing at an angle, hovering over the switch weapon button and attacking all at the same time.[/quote]

Yeah, it's too bad PCs don't have USB ports and gamepads.

Oh wait...

8. Oh yeah, forgot. Other than elder scrolls I dont really play games.

9. couldnt get into oblivion

having a hard time getting into skyrim too.. just not my kinda game...

10. morrowind and oblivion were cool back when they came out. both are outdated and hard to approach from a casual gamer perspective. it takes a particular rpg whore mindset to get into them.

11. Sounds like you have a really short attention span and rage quit a lot. If so, then TES my not be for you. If you want something you can get into right away and has alot of action, buy an FPS or something.

12. im so very bored with fps though and i love other roleplaying games. like i said im a huge fallout 3 fan and everyone says its elderscrolls but with guns pretty much. idk lol i just dont know

13. #13 Ralta, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
    Normally would fit into that catagory; first got into RPGs back when Baldur's Gate II; Shadows of Amn came out and haven't looked back.

However, when I tried Morrowind, it just didn't hold my attention past the character creation/intro really, just something about it really pissed me off, I mean it was an 'I know I ought to like it but, meh' attitude.

Oblivion, however, just grabbed me in a way Morrowind failed to do. Still class FFVIII as my favorite game though (went so far as to redownload it on PSN and still dip into it when game releases are slow :eek:), along with Deus Ex I which I really ought to get another copy of...

edit; @Lar20; give the older Fallouts a go, they recently re-released them on PC; I found them fun as an extension of the Fallout lore. I know they're quite dated now, but still worth a go if you really like Fallout III

14. haha, I did the same buddy, missed my 420th post too (I was really bummed about that)

smoking weed and remembering shit, not the best

lemme give you some rep for contributing 1000 posts to this forum

15. idk bro, if you go mage heavy it really, really sucks without hotkeys

16. sup man?

i never played morrowwind, but loved oblivion and love skyrim. You gotta remember that the games usually start off slow as fuck, but after a few hours youll have a shit ton of quests to do and youll get hooked. If you a 360 Lar, pm me your gamertag and maybe we can throw down on some Cod or BF if you got em

17. The Elder Scrolls is for gamer's who can handle being patient. If you don't have patience, you probably wont be able to get into these games at all.

Oblivion is a good place to start, I'd say, either that or Skyrim. Morrowind is pretty confusing, but can be really awesome.

18. hahahaa shit man i see you on here at such random times. but nah no 360 anymore i might pick one up soon though and when i do ill let you know. and guys something amazing has happend. i have not quit yet :D im still not extreamly far or anything but im starting to really like it. my character is a mage though and idk i like him because he has so many convinient spells (levatation,ghost to assist,different sheilds,unlock,and he usually doesnt miss when he uses fireball unlike a sword that misses quite a bit) but i think id like a sword and sheild type character more but dont want to restart lol. oh well ill deal with it :D

19. Nice man, keep with it, once you get going the game gets real interesting. Imo you should run through the main quest line toward the beginning cuz you unlock some good shouts that way. Also you come across a quest to get the Oghma Infinium book during the main quest line, and you can use that book to boost your way to max out your skill levels and character level. I have all my skills at level 100 and my character is level 80

20. is OBLIVION any good ?