Egypt considers outlawing Muslim Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Swills, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Outlawing the Muslim Brotherhood? Looks like the MB are once again going to be a group that deals in the shadows and behind closed doors. Good I say, this is the same group who tried to take control of the Egyptian Govt and instill Sharia Law. They only backed down because of the constant protests from the Egyptian people who always greatly outnumbered the MB supporters.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130817/DA87NOM81.html

2. So the Egyptian military who overthrew the democratically elected government of Egypt (MB) now want to ban them. 

3. The military but more importantly the Egyptian government. Wouldn't be the first time the MB was outlawed in Egypt. They gave the MB an inch & in return they tried to take a mile so it's back to the shadows the Brotherhood.

4. I know I asked you this before, but where do you live?

5. Maybe its just the western propaganda but I fully believe the MB to be part of the reason for radical islam. Created in the depths of some Egyptian jail during the 60s or 70s(I think). The less radical religous ppl in the world the better.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. The MB is much older than that, created in the 1920's, & they've been outlawed ever since, for the most part. Wikipedia is a good source to read up on.

7. #7 SmokinP, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013

Ireland.

8. #8 SmokinP, Aug 18, 2013

The Brotherhood were not given an inch, they were given a mandate from the people of Egypt in the last election.
    What the Egyptian people will end up with now is Mubarak in drag.

9. #9 TheDankery, Aug 18, 2013
    I think it is very very bad if the Ikhwan is banned. There is a real chance for civil war if that happened. No doubt Morsi was a buffon who was becoming more and more autocratic and excluding other voices from the political process. He seemed totally unconcerned with the fact that Egypt's tourism industry was gone and the economy was in the gutter.

At the same time, 13 million people voted the Ikhwan in in 2012. They've became more unpopular since that time for sure, so let's say they only have 10 million behind them. Maybe even less. That's still a large segment of the Egyptian voting population. How can they exclude these millions of people from Egyptian politics?

There isn't a central leadership or anything, but there are organizations operating under the name of the Ikhwan in almost every Muslim country. The West - including the US - and Sunni Arab regimes are backing the Syrian opposition-in-exile which is heavily Ikhwan. They were brutally stomped down by Assad and his daddy, but they stayed underground for decades in Syria and soon enough they'll rise up and become a part of Syria's future.

So how strange is that we're supporting the MB in Syria but staying quiet about the massacres and repression of the MB in Egypt?

If they're cut out of the process in Egypt, they're not going to just give up and go away. Most of their history they've been underground. That's nothing new for them. They will just go back underground and rise again one day.

History sort of echoes itself. The last real leader Egypt had, Nasser, hated them and outlawed the Ikhwan and carried out repressive measures against them.

10. #10 Tom79, Aug 18, 2013
    Its not the egyptian military who overthrew the government, its the same 13 million egyptians who elected morsi... now throw him AND the MB out.
    Morsi had a year and he fucked up with his sharia law and MB influence on the egyptian life. People actually thought that he will bring a fresh change.. But he didnt.

11. #11 SmokinP, Aug 18, 2013

The same 13 million who elected Morsi ? What makes you believe it was the people who voted for Morsi that were out protesting for his removal ? There are a lot of doubts about how many were actually protesting . The numbers being bandied about came from the Egyptian military so are perhaps biased and questionable.

I am not a fan of the Brotherhood. They have done nothing for the Palestinian people since they rose to power apart from negotiating a truce with the Israelis to halt the last big flare up in Gaza. That said i am not comfortable with what has happened in Egypt. 
    The Egyptian military are acting like savages shooting their countrymen down like dogs on the street.

12. I was actually kinda shocked to see the MB get kicked out. Good for Egypt.

13. Being the MB were outlawed in Egypt prior to being elected tells me they were given an inch. When they took power they tried to take a mile by taking over the government and installing sharia law. They only stopped because of the constant protests by the Egyptian people.

How the MB were elected into office is beyond me but gives me something to research when I'm bored.

14. #14 TheDankery, Aug 18, 2013
    In 2012 the choice was either Morsi or some fuloul, a leftover from the Mubarak era. So I guess the choice was either a new way or the old way, and Egyptians choose what they thought was the new path. Recall that voter turnout wasn't huge - not much more than 50% of those registered to vote actually voted. I think many Americans can relate to the idea of "the lesser of two evils..."

Under decades of dictatorship in Egypt political parties were supressed because obviously they're not needed much in a dictatoral system. Even when there were elections like in 2010 and 2005, the elections were rigged. Working in the shadows, the MB provided social services that the corrupt regime was unwilling or unable to and the MB won a lot of people over that way. Remember, poverty is very high in Egypt. Something like 40% of the population lives on less than $2 a day. Besides the economy being decimated by the lack of tourism and the obvious high levels of unrest and chaos, the Egyptian government subsidizes a lot of basic staples. Namely oil and bread are heavily paid for. The IMF wanted Morsi to cut those subsides for the $4.8 billion loan they were offering. Imagine if he had cut the handouts. The protests against Morsi would've been so much larger and probably much more violent because cutting the handouts would've plunged millions of Egypts deep into poverty and hunger. Relying on these massive loans from outsider powers is unsustainable. Someone is going to have to turn the economy around and keep the peace so tourists will come back.

The MB actually has few dues-paying members in Egypt. It's funded mostly by foreigners, namely from Qatar. As strange as this idea may sound, even before things started to turn bad for Morsi, the MB wasn't even that popular even though they are the biggest political party in Egypt. They were simply the ones best prepared to seize control in the power vacuum created when Mubarak was taken out.

The Mubarak dictatorship has only been gone for two years now. I hate to sound like a US regime spokesman, but a thriviving democracy with many diverse political parties isn't going to spring up over night after decades of dictatorships.

Even if there were a more robust democracy in Egypt, a lot of power still would reside with the military in the end.

Poor Egyptians. The flithy, bloody hands of the House of Saud, the House of Thani, the UAE, the other GCC dictators, the US and rest of the Western powers are all over their country's internal affairs. Egypt has little real sovereignty, it remains controlled by outsiders.

Every once and a while the NYT puts together some good reporting.

LOL, Israel loves Sisi. 

The Israelis were going to the coup regime and telling them "trust us, the US isn't cutting off aid because we told them not to."

15. Thanks for that video.  Nasser was very charismatic.  

The Muslim Brotherhood led an attempt to assassinate him in 1954.  

16. #16 jay-bird, Aug 18, 2013

Oh wow all this time you've been babbling but you've known nothing
     o_O

EDIT* sorry for attitude, just amazed by post

17. What makes me believe ? Watch the news, 13 million choose to ditch morsi and the muslim brotherhood after one year in the Gov, one year which morsi give more and more power to the radical muslims and their laws.

The people of Egypt wants freedom, MB laws are far from freedom..

18. Freedom doesn't exist in this world anymore.

19. Every country in the world needs freedom FROM religion.  The Muslim Brotherhood is not going to go down easily, those who oppose the religious have their work cut out for them, but it must be done.  

20. I have no idea where u from.., in Israel, Im free to do whatever i want... and say whatever i want... And this is in a religious country.