Ego

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Hello there!, Dec 4, 2012.

1. It was suggested I make this thread, so please, direct your blame elsewhere.

Where does your ego come from?

Is it satisfying?

Is it what could be most satisfying to you?

If it were consistently achieved, would it be as you, envisioned?

Feel free to share anything this thread made you think of.

2. #2 nolastnamex, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
    Ego is identification with thoughts.

3. I am assuming that you are meaning ego in the psychological sense with a meaning similar to persona.

There are great debates concerning this subject but it is generally concise to say that both nature and nurture play definitive roles. I believe that you'll get different answers depending on who you ask as to the ratio of these two concepts and how they play into the ego, but I personally believe that nature (inherent aptitude or tendency; internal; similar to genetic predisposition or karmic baggage depending on if you view it was technology or spirituality) and nurture (environment; external; effects of guardians, effects of siblings/peers, effects of society, effects of karma) play equal roles in a person's life. Suffice to say that your ego comes partially from each.

Your ego can be satisfying if you were to look at it as a subjective interpreter of reality versus an objective interpreter. A subjective interpreter would have a wider range of "fun" and "pleasure" whereas an objective interpreter would only perceive stimulus, its source, and its effects, so on and so forth. As far as if it is what could be "most satisfying" to one's self, I'm beginning to think that you might have the word ego misconstrued with something else. Theoretically you could say that yes or no, an ego is what a person could find to be satisfying or dissatisfying; however, it would be a completely subjective assertion dependent on the situation so there wouldn't be a readily applicable answer.

With that said, I'm not sure how the last question would apply, as I don't know how you would perceive your ego as being what you envisioned because, to me, that's like saying, "when you look in the mirror are you happy with what you see?" And to that you'd again get subjective responses depending on the person and their situation.