Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Effects of Medical Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Hardnutcheck, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Patients use it for pain relieving, Concentration, Eating disorders, Attention disorders, ect...

But

Can M.Cannabis actually heal?

2. thc has been proven to kill cancer cells. not sure if thats what you mean by healing though? lol if you mean like can it help heal a cut or something then no. just helps with the pain

3. #4 tharedhead, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
    The ointment seems to work really well on shingles.
    Its better than the super expensive prescription stuff I was using

Its also supposed to work on genital herpes

edit-read Granny Stormcrow's links-'nuff said!

4. Are you talking about wounds and injured tissues?

Differential Expression of Cannabinoid Receptors in the Human Colon: Cannabinoids Promote Epithelial Wound Healing
    (abst - 2005)
    Elsevier

The cannabinoid receptor type 2 is time-dependently expressed during skeletal muscle wound healing in rats (abst - 2010)
    PubMed home

Involvement of the endocannabinoid system in periodontal healing. (abst - 2010)
    Involvement of the endocannabinoid system in perio... [Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010] - PubMed result

Killing cancers?

Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma (full - 2006)
    Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma

Cannabis extract makes brain tumors shrink, halts growth of blood vessels
    (news - 2004)
    Cannabis extract makes brain tumors shrink, halts growth of blood vessels

Or bowel disorders?

Cannabis Helps Ulcers And Crohn's Disease (news - 2006)
    http://www.thehempire.com/index.php/cannabis/news/cannabis_helps_ulcers_and_crohns_disease

Inflammation and cancer IV. Colorectal cancer in inflammatory bowel disease: the role of inflammation. (full - 2004)
    Inflammation and Cancer IV. Colorectal cancer in inflammatory bowel disease: the role of inflammation -- Itzkowitz and Yio 287 (1): G7 -- AJP - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology

It prevents the progress of diabetic retinopathy-

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics (news - 2006)
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, london]

and may actually prevent diabetes

Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study
    (news - 2006)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Cannabis may not "heal" epilepsy, but it can stop the seizures-

Cannabinoids: Defending the Epileptic Brain (full - 2004)
    Cannabinoids: Defending the Epileptic Brain

And in Alzheimer's it prevents the deposition of amyloid plaque, the physical evidence of Alzheimer's.

Latest Buzz: Marijuana May Slow Progression Of Alzheimer's Disease
    (news - 2006)
    Latest Buzz: Marijuana May Slow Progression Of Alzheimer's Disease

And not only does it prevent the stuff from gumming up your brain, cannabis helps to REMOVE the dang stuff!

The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimulates in situ and in vitro beta-amyloid removal by human macrophages. (abst - 2009)
    The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimul... [Brain Res. 2009] - PubMed result

So, yes, I'd say, CANNABIS HEALS! :hello:

Now go click the "MMJ Studies" link in my sig below and EDUCATE YOURSELF! If you had read my list, you wouldn't be asking such questions! :p

Granny :wave:

5. #6 subject21018947, Jul 12, 2010
    Not totally true... it tends to heal the cancerous tissue before it becomes malignant. At least thats what i have heard.

6. #7 Storm Crow, Jul 12, 2010
    FYI-
    Apoptosis = cell death
    glioma = NASTY brain cancer
    glioblastoma= another nasty brain cancer
    PC-3 =Pancreatic cancer type 3
    carcinoma = cancer

I think you can figure it out from there on your own.

Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol induces apoptosis in C6 glioma cells.
    (abst - 1998)
    Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol induces apoptosis in C... [FEBS Lett. 1998] - PubMed result

Cannabinoids selectively inhibit proliferation and induce death of cultured human glioblastoma multiforme cells. (abst - 2005)
    Cannabinoids selectively inhibit proliferation and... [J Neurooncol. 2005] - PubMed result

Cannabidiol-Induced Apoptosis in Human Leukemia Cells : A Novel Role of Cannabidiol in the Regulation of p22phox and Nox4 Expression (full - 2006)
    Cannabidiol-Induced Apoptosis in Human Leukemia Cells: A Novel Role of Cannabidiol in the Regulation of p22phox and Nox4 Expression

Cannabinoids Induce Apoptosis of Pancreatic Tumor Cells via Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress–Related Genes (full - 2006)
    Cannabinoids Induce Apoptosis of Pancreatic Tumor Cells via Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress

Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol induces apoptosis in human prostate PC-3 cells via a receptor-independent mechanism (abst - 1999)
    ScienceDirect - FEBS Letters : Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol induces apoptosis in human prostate PC-3 cells via a receptor-independent mechanism

A metabolically stable analogue of anandamide, Met-F-AEA, inhibits human thyroid carcinoma cell lines by activation of apoptosis (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | A metabolically stable analogue of anandamide, Met-F-AEA, inhibits human thyroid carcinoma cell lines by activation of apoptosis. Journal article abstract

I think that does it!

You really need to click the "MMJ Studies" link in my sig, and READ!

7. Its a great list.... It covers a LOT of different ailments

8. Subject, it is "big"- GC's "January version" has 150 pages of links, enough to keep you busy for a while, but the list is only getting better! :D

I now have 420 pages of links, which will be posted at GC as soon as the finishing touches are done! I've added several new catagories and hundreds of new studies! Want a FREE copy? Email me (bottom of my sig) and I'll send you a copy of the "Equinox" list (it's a "beta" for the "Summer 2010" list with 250 pages), but later next month, you'll automatically get the 420 page version. :hello:

9. I cant tell you if it cures, i dont know. What I do know is it gives me a quality of life I would not have. It gives me control. without it, it's just bad day after bad day. For wanting a quality of live equil to everone else i have been labelled criminal, pothead and on and on. After 15 months and near 2,000.00 i got my mmj card. Its so stupid to see a plant that helps so many squashed under ridiculous laws.

10. wooooorrrrrrddddddd