Grasscity - Black Friday Sale - up to 70% Discount
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Effects of marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by andrewlang16, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I've been having a disagreement with my parents about the effects of marijuana and I was wondering if you guys could point out some websites and studies that show how harmless it actually is. They think that it causes permanent brain damage and memory loss. And the other thing I was wondering about is how much do you guys think your memory is temporarily impaired after you're not high anymore but are smoking on a regular basis. Is it really that significant because I know Terence Mckenna says that theres not really much to that either.

2. The memory loss isn't that significant but I will tend to forget some things immediately, but long term memory is not a problem at all.

3. Granny's list. Granny is StormCrow. Just look up her 420 list, theres over 700 pages on her full list and its just research about weed.

4. Thanks for that...

5. Show your parents The Union, man. Or any well made documentary about cannabis.

6. It has minor health issues related to your lungs, but nothing you should worry about if you don't smoke more than 5 grams a day. Memory, if used before your brain develops completely (around age 25 or so), gets affected. :D

Edit: Welcome to the city Andrew :smoke:

7. Actually, it does NOT affect the brain, developing or otherwise. Im serious, check out this study:

::William Slikker, Jr. et al, "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Rhesus Monkey," Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 17: 321-32 (1991)::

8. :confused: That disregards lots of studies of juvenile weed smoking. :confused_2: I don't know what to believe anymore.

9. Hon, send me an email! (bottom of my sig) I'll send you 670+ pages of links to delights like this (and the medical studies they are based on)

High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats (news – 2005)
    High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain (news – 2005)
    Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain - health - 13 October 2005 - New Scientist

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects (full - 2005) JCI - Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

Pot May Not Shrink Teens' Brains After All (news - 2006)
    Medical News:pot May Not Shrink Teens' Brains After All - in Neurology, General Neurology from MedPage Today

Pot smoking not tied to middle-age mental decline (news – 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]Pot smoking not tied to middle-age mental decline | MNN - Mother Nature Network

[/FONT]
    Cannabis Intoxication Does Not Adversely Impact Decision Making
    (news - 2007) Illinois NORML - Cannabis Intoxication Does Not Adversely Impact Decision Making

Non-acute (residual) neurocognitive effects of cannabis use: a meta-analytic study. (abst - 2003) Non-acute (residual) neurocognitive e... [J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

Study: Brain Not Permanently Damaged by Marijuana (news - 2003)
    http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/drugs/study-brain-not-permanently

Minimal Long-Term Effects Of Marijuana Use Found In Central Nervous System By UCSD Researchers (news - 2003) Minimal Long-term Effects Of Marijuana Use Found In Central Nervous System By UCSD Researchers

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain (news - 2003)
    Entheology.org - Preserving Ancient Knowledge

Cognitive Measures in Long-term Cannabis Users. (abst – 2002)
    Cognitive measures in long-term cannabis us... [J Clin Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Heavy cannabis use without long-term effect on global intelligence (news - 2002)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Marijuana does not dent IQ permanently (news - 2002)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana does not dent IQ permanently - 08 April 2002 - New Scientist

If you need more, send me an email! :D

Granny :wave:
    [/FONT]

10. Hey Granny, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but a few of your links are either old posts to which the content disappeared, like the news ones. Just a heads up :hello:

11. Well, hon, I just went through and clicked all of the links I provided above- each one worked! The dates are clearly marked by each URL. If you had your own copy of my List, you could pick and choose to find exactly what you wanted.

And sometimes it is "interesting" to note just how long ago a fact was noted, yet it is STILL not common knowledge!

So exactly which links are we talking about? :confused_2:

My friend Deb and I go through and check the non-PubMed links, one by one, once a year, during the summer. We will have over 800 pages, maybe even 1,000 by then.

If you find a "dead link", it would be nice if you noted down the title and year, and told me about it, so I can maybe find an alternative link before the next edition!

Granny :wave: