Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Effect of vaping on the immune system

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mlrock, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Despite what some of you say, weed is not 100% harmless. Numerous studies have shown that smoking it impairs the immune system. Anyway, I currently have a cold and I would like it to go away as soon as possible. I have found that vaping offers short term relief from the congestion and aches that are caused by this cold. However, I am unsure if vaping it will slow down the healing time like smoking would. Anybody know?

2. I've always heard that cannabis has detrimental effects to the immune system, but everything I've read has gone contrary to my reality.

For example, before I started smoking weed (before I was 16), I would get sick once every other month, occasionally I'd have the flu and be bedridden for a few days.

In the last 6 years at least, I've only been sick as many times as I can count on one hand, and none of them were bad enough to cause me to be out for an entire day; usually it was just a small cold to which I just smoked some cannabis and ended up feeling better. I just recently started vaporizing daily a little less than a year ago.

It's not a miracle medicine or anything, but it's pretty damn effective at making your body indifferent towards sickness.

3. Inhaling smoke into your lungs isnt healthy, just a simple fact. All smoke has carbon monoxide, some tar, and other crap that you dont want to be breathing in. Vaporizors *dont* COMPLETELY stop the bad shit but will definately cut back.
    I'm kind of the same way, I'd get a sinus infection once every other month. I've gotten one in the past year and a half. Does that mean I'm perfectly healthy? No, my athletic endurance has suffered a bit, and I eat alot of garbage food but the point is there are undeniable health benifits of weed, but its not all good.

4. Vaping seems to have done my immune system very well, as far as I can tell. Since I started vaping over smoking I haven't gotten sick at all, as opposed to sick quite frequently. Ask Granny about this for further info, and pick up her list and educate yourself(and others) :smoke:

5. interesting now that i think about it i did get a small cold, sore throat stuffy nose, the first time or 2 i smoked. i just figured i caught it from one of the people i was sharing the piece with.

6. Ya I've heard about this lowering of the immune system from smoking but like the others I rarely get sick. Been smoking for 12 years or so, and get sick maybe 1 or 2 times a year.

7. Been smoking 2 years. Not been sick once in 2 years (flu, cold)

I see flaws in your logic OP. and i see none in mine.

8. i usually get a nasty cold or flu, with high fever, once or twice a year. ever since i started toking again and regularly, i havent gotten sick since ....

9. Exactly what has happened for me!

10. As is known, cannabis use causes xerostomia (no saliva), which facilitates colonization by opportunistic microbiota

11. If you're a healthy adult (or above a weak little child..) it's not going to do anything to your immune system, gonna take a lot more than smoking pot to matter at all..

If you get sick and feel like you'd feel better high then get high, if you feel better vaping over smoking then do that. Maybe lay off it if you've got like pneumonia or something lol. I've been smoking huge amounts / vaping most of that time lots of oils off the Ti for years and I hardly ever get sick. I really can't remember the last time I got sick.

12. Dude, that makes sense! If I end up getting dry mouth a lot, I end up getting sick more often.