Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

efect of canabis on sleeping.. ?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Gri77oN, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Yeah I just read this thread and a coupple of you guys where talking about REM. And that you dont dream. Well Its proven That unless your braindead You will always have REM sleep. So whean you fall asleep you will dream. But I never remember any dreams unless I didnt smoke that night so then weed must make us forget.

2. I also have some trouble sleeping. It used to be worse a while ago. Id finally get to sleep, then id wake up and sometimes would not get back off, other times id be awake for about three hours, before finally getting back off to sleep.

I find, having an indica will make me more sleepy, and quite often ill have a very good nights sleep. If ive had a sativa, ill have a bit of trouble getting off to sleep. I think its the sativa, that gives me the wierdest dreams.

3. Ok, heres the official deal. I smoke indica every few nights to cure my insomnia. My insomnia, unlike many peoples is extremely severe and I will go without sleeping for a couple days at a time without pot. Sleeping pills make me feel hungover so i stay away from that shit.

When you are high, it can be difficult to fall asleep. In the normal hour of sleep 20 minutes are REM sleep. This means your dreams are in 20 minute spurts. When you smoke pot before bed it often shuts you down more quickly but you get maybe 20 minutes every 2 or 3 hours of REM sleep and will feel a little less rested.

4. I can believe that. I've noticed how it's easier to fall asleep when coming down, but I have to sleep later to get the same amount of rest.

5. Even an indica keeps me up if I ingest a couple hours (don't smoke, only take edibles)
    before going to sleep, so I take a capsule about 5 hours before bed.

THC is stimulating, but there is a comedown after the peak during which most people become sedated. So you just have to time your smoking, vaping, or eating.

As others have said, it does make getting up just a little harder, but if you have to go to work there is no choice. I have 4 alarms set just in case, but I still usually wake up before the first one goes off.

6. I've heard marijuana effects REM sleep but I'm pretty sure I've had dreams when I've went to sleep high. Also, it depends on a lot of things. If I'm alone and smoke, then I definitely want to go to sleep. If I'm with my friends, I'm full of energy and can stay up a lot easier

7. There are those studies that say THC diminishes REM time , but it I'll take a little less dreaming and more sleeping overall. It def helps me relax and get to sleep faster, and overall I'll wake up more rested. I've always slept better with a lil weed.

8. Ever since I stopped smoking to save some money for some unexpected bills almost every night I've had nightmares I haven't had nightmares since I was like 12 and that was 10 years ago however I didn't start smoking untill I was around 18 19 and smoked pretty much every day after that is this because I quit smoking?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum