Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

efect of canabis on sleeping.. ?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Gri77oN, Sep 3, 2003.

1. I have trouble falling asleep, even when I'm tired.
    That's the first thing that got me into meditation long years back.
    But i woz already smokin majiruaba then, so I wonder (and never coud find an anwser).

Hod does majiruana affect sleep and REM sleep?

2. I know it's easier for me to sleep when I'm coming down from a high. I don't think it's quite as deep of a sleep, though, because when I can I'll sleep much later after smoking and feel like I got the same amount of rest.

3. I was thinking of starting a thread on this subject too...if I get high at night, it doesn't put me to sleep at all. In fact, I'm usually a bit wired until I come down. Once I do sleep, its very deep and I'm feel that its harder to get up the next day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ya, it usually is harder to sleep while high. When really stoned I can go to sleep, and on the way down from a high I can sleep. I know what you mean about being harder to get up the next day. That's one of the reasons I think the sleep isn't as high quality as a natural sleep. You have to sleep longer to get rested the same amount, but if I couldn't sleep to begin with, I'm happy with the sleep I get.

5. with some weed i get ill be up all night but with the cheap stuff ill be out shortly after i smoke if its late

6. reading youguys I realize that I'm always gona sleepwhilst on the way /up/ to "high"..
    So it must be taht I fall asleep when comming down ...
    SO I gotta smoke less, or at least no more "lastone" before goinna sleep.
    I'l try, 'n keep U posted.

7. Yeah, try a little moderation. It probably keeps me up because I only smoke enough to catch a buzz. My mission is to search for the right working buzz. I usually don't like getting too wasted on weed or booze, so it doesn't make me pass out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. last night i just smoked right before i went to bed so i could sleep, and i only have dreams when i smoke....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. I fall asleep really easily when I'm stoned, but I heard that THC inhibits REM sleep. I don't know if that's true, but I've only had one dream when I was stoned. And that was a dream about weed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. i think the trick is to eat it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Before I started smoking I couldn't remember any of my dreams. While I was smoking, no different, but for a period of time after I quit I could suddenly start remembering dreams when I woke up. I still sometimes think I've done something that I needed to do only to realize I dreamt it the night before.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. "THC inhibits REM sleep"

That's what I thought, but it seems that "corrupts" would be more precise: you only dream while in REM sleep.
    and we have here people that dream after smoking, so we now it doesn't inibit, or at least not every measure.
    [
    there is also a factor fo mental stress to REM sleep.
    (working very hard for weeks for exams for ex.)
    ]

13. i think i noticed a similar effect wang.

ahh.. maybe thats the word we're looking for.

"effect"

... further desciption to the nature of that effect would be helpfull, but i think we're going to have to do alot more research and come up with a far better conclusion than another one word answer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. I used to think it helped me fall asleep. But lately I can't fall asleep either way. So I would say no effect, except maybe I CAN'T fall asleep if I'm totally ripped.

15. i find thc high to be very fatiguing in general. even when i'm trying to sleep during an upsloping high, my mind is very active whether i want to think or not.

i.e. i'd try to think how i could sleep better such as counting sleep or deep meditation, but these are still thoughts and they hinder my sleeping.

16. Sometimes when I cant go to sleep I smoke a bowl and it puts me out like a dog. But really THC helps my insomnia so much!

17. during finals i would always smoke before i slept. it would make me not worry about the test the next day.

18. obviously it depends on wether its cannabis indica or sativa. coming down from indica i can sleep 12-13 hours and feel so good the next morning.

19. Allthough the smoking may help me from otherwise being restless. I dont have as vivid dreams, and sure dont remember them as well. Maybe i need to switch strains.

:)

20. ok
    today I learn there is not only sativa.
    I'm a 10y smoker that know nothin (except maybe in rolling joints)...
    now that I know I know nothing, I can start to learn...