Education

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Happy To Burn, Oct 30, 2014.

If you want to educate yourself for personal enlightenment there are better ways to do it than pay 12,000 bucks a year for a narrow curriculum. You could buy dozens of sufficient books for a tenth of that price.

Unless you're rich and enjoy burning money away for overglorified courses.

2. The only reason we go through grades k-12 is because if we didn't we would go out into the world and take our parents jobs when were about 13.

3. I didn't know you were exclusively referring to education you pay for.

4. There's education you don't pay for? Other than self education, someone is paying for it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Umm...yea, self-education...is it not education if I learn it through personal research? Yet another flaw in our society's understanding of 'education.' It's not education unless you're paying for it!

6. Notice I said other than self education brocicle, but thanks for clarifying, toke on!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Self-education is the safest and most effective form of education.

Most educational regimes utilized by institutions of "higher learning" are hogwash. 

8. Wonderful thoughts . I also agree that self education is the ideal way to go. I found it so much more enjoyable & easy to learn when not under pressure to pass an exam or deadline.

Open your mind

9. The way I see education and instruction in the US today is this; If you know a lot about a subject and can teach others, great. It will hardly matter unless you've gotten the degrees (participation awards?) to prove it. Results be damned. I could teach undergrad classes on regional, world, and physical Geography, climate studies, Geographical Information Systems, and a few other niche courses but I "only" have a Bachelors degree myself. So I guess I could teach High School... Wait... No, I would need a teaching certificate or education degree as well.

TLDR: pay up or get lost

10. Would we still seek further education like college or learning a trade if it didn't mean we would make more money? is saying "finding a career you love" just an excuse to get people to accept the fact they'll be working for the majority of their lives?

"Wait! We can't stop here, this is bat country!"- Fear and Loathing

• Like Like x 1
  11. Schools are supposed to teach us how to think , now they only want to teach us what to think . They are filled with political ass hats for teachers .

12. Me When I realize i posted on a thread that died in 2014
    :icgreen:

• Funny Funny x 1