Education reform

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kingmonkey, Aug 31, 2009.

1. I've been thinking about education reform for a while now. It's not my strongest subject but I'm learning more and more about it every day. I'm not sure how other states fund public education but in Texas it's through ever increasing ad valorem taxes. I've got an idea to make education better which could be applied to all areas of the country but I wanted to hear what you guys think first before I give my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Voucher system for private schools.

3. Dismantle the dept. of education.

4. #4 mrbagseed, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2009
    second that

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw"]YouTube - Stupid in America[/ame]

5. How about YOU pay for your OWN kids education...

6. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this subject as I do. I believe in the dismantling of the Dept. of Propaganda (Education). Privatize it!

7. I too believe that privatization is the best way to go. Though I'm sure there are several people on this board that will disagree. Their arguments will likely focus on the supposed high cost of private education and more than likely something about the "poor" or "equality" or such noise. But I believe I have a solution, perhaps not original, but a good idea anyway, that would not do away with public education right away, but allow free market actors to compete with the government.

First let's address the reason why private education is expensive. Private education is expensive because it is a niche market, it is a luxury. But why is it a luxury? Because the government so heavily subsidizes public education, that is, nearly 100% of its budget comes from taxes, and is able to use its authority to command people to go to school, it has taken over the education industry. They have created this myth that public education is free. And whenever you offer something for "free" everyone wants it. Because everyone seeks out this "free" the market for private education cannot compete because of a lack of customers.

So how do we create the atmosphere of open competition with the state in regards to education? Since I live in Texas I'll focus on what changes I would make here.

First thing we have to do is put ad valorem taxes back into the hands of the people. I propose to allow people who have school age children choose whether or not they want their kids to go to public schools or private schools. If their kids go to public school then they would pay the property taxes they normally would have paid. But if their children attend a private school they could opt out of the public education system and keep the money they would have paid in taxes. This is to allow them to spend their education dollars how they see fit.

The second thing I would do is freeze the ad valorem tax rate at its current rate. Currently the school district I'm in charges $1.155 per $100 valuation. My proposal would freeze that tax rate forever. While the tax rate could never go up it can certainly go down. This is so that as school districts begin losing children to the private schools they cannot raise taxes on everyone else to make up for the lost revenue. They will have to adjust to new market conditions, though more slowly than the private market could, by reducing the waste within the system and streamlining their operations to save money.

The idea is to choke off public education by taking away its finances. I believe that as more private schools are opened up competition between schools will cause them to find new and innovative ways to educate our children while reducing the cost to do so. I believe that by creating an opportunity for private schools to compete we will see a rapid decline in the use of public schools and they will eventually all be put out of business, so to speak.

Another key aspect to the survival of the private school system is to leave the market totally unregulated. Allow parents, teachers and schools to determine what the curriculum will be and find better ways to deliver it to the students. Let people pick and choose what type of education they want their children to receive.

That's all I can do right now. Let me know what you think.

8. I think that your first proposal is a great idea. It is a fair way to even the market between private and public.

The next two ideas are not a fair way to even out the market, and leave a lot open to chance. Education isn't something we can just leave completely to the free market and hope it does well.

School's needs to survive through depressions that many companies don't, and provide school in the interest of the students not the bottom line.

9. I disagree. If more and more people are switching to private schools then there will come a time when the public option will not matter. And it isn't fair to everyone else to have continually rising taxes so that public schools can continue to do a terrible job. Think outside of the box for a moment.

If a student leaves a public school they simply have to adjust their budget down to accommodate for the lack of one less student. If they cannot adjust their budgets according to their revenue stream then it only proves how incompetent they are. If they cannot even manage their own budgets then what right do they have educating our children?

Now, as for finding a "fair way to even out the market" freezing the amount of money public education gets through theft is a fair way. Already they are ahead of the game by not having to worry about budgets because they need only raise taxes. Because they do not have to adhere to a profit/loss system they can "out compete" private schools, not because they are better but because their revenue comes from confiscatory taxation (theft) instead of actually earning it. To allow public schools to continue to raise taxes even though they are doing a terrible job educating our children isn't fair to the private market which must continue to make improvements in the delivery, quality and overall cost of their product.

Of course, if we allow public schools to continue to raise taxes then eventually people are going to tire of the system anyway and demand it be done away with. It doesn't really matter one way or the other. At some point in the future private education will hit critical mass as the majority of people adopt it rather than public education. Once we make it possible for private schools to compete with public schools it doesn't matter one way or the other. The private market will eventually prevail and all public school systems will collapse.

10. What prompted the creation of the Federal Department of Education? Were things real bad pre-1979?

11. Read Internet.
    Compliment with books.
    Gain Knowledge.
    Profit.
    You don't need a school, you just need a true desire to learn.
    I've learned more on my own time, doing my own thing, than in all of my schooling career.
    Besides, all they feed you is propaganda.

12. +rep, i feel the exact same way dude.

13. Here here... Nice post!

BTW...how many people out there know what "Valhalla" is... It caught my eye...

You really don't learn shit in regular school... Just the very basics...

And WHY is that? Because we must accommodate the lowest common denominator...

14. There should be a comprehensive test (a larger version of the SAT) in order to be accepted into colleges and universities. But up until then, just learn on your own time. Anyone with a strong desire to succeed could easily learn basic K-12 knowledge in most likely less than 18 years of age.

It will never happen though...

15. Have you read Heimskringla? The Poetic Edda?

16. Pretty much.

17. There is something to be said about learning on your own. I mean, we learn something new everyday of our lives. But some people need a structured environment in order to learn some things. I think education should be a choice between the parents and the child, not the state. Get rid of compulsory attendance laws and begin the process of privatizing education. We can let the market close down public schools so long as we keep the state away from private schools and more tax dollars.

The great thing about a private market in education is the ability to choose what kind of schooling you want. You could go to a school that focused on science and math, or one that emphasized art and culture or perhaps a religious school run by a church. Some kids might opt to learn a trade and enter the job market early. The opportunities for a customized education built to suit each individual are amazing. I think getting away from the "one size fits all" model of public education would be a great step in the right direction.

18. We should be teaching children based on their interests and strengths. I've seen too many talented kids drop out of school because they don't fit the typical 'mold' of a student. Reading textbooks and taking a quiz on it isn't for some people. Perhaps they wish to do something with their hands? Perhaps they like to think, and philosophy is their 'thing'. Allowing students who are failing out an opportunity to regain interest in education, through a form other than standardized education would prevent kids from dropping out. It's being studied extensively, and they're basically proven that some people learn differently, and the traditional education model doesn't suit them.

The typical education model also sucks, 99.99% of the knowledge you learn won't suit you when you get older and pursue a career path, unless you're going to become a highly specialized professional, such as a doctor, or a scientist.

19. As Henry O. Havemeyer once put it: "You cannot wet-nurse people from the time they are born to the time they die. They have to wade and get stuck, and that is the way men are educated."

20. The internet can not be the basis of our education system, with books as an appetizer! It's great in cost structure, but not realistic at all. If i wanted to learn about growing weed i might follow the learning method you provided.

When it comes to my education in math, language, and sciences you need to have a creditable source (teachers), and you will need many books (which will be pricey).

I'm sure you have learned more about the world through your experiences then schooling. I'm also sure you would not learn many of the academic principles you know without your education. Where did you learn about sentence structure, chemical compounds, and geography of the earth?

I am all for homeschooling if you are a smart parent, and private schooling if you have the money, but there is no way we can replace the class room with the internet and end up with intelligent kids.

A true desire to learn is great, but it's foolish to say that's all you need to learn. I'm sure many children in the slums of 3rd world countries have the urge to learn, but without the means its not going to happen.