Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Educating Ignorant Parents

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by skillzthatkillz, Nov 12, 2009.

1. My parents are typical anti-pot parents. they think its terrible for the body, causes cancer, kills brain cells, and ruins lives. and of course even if i were to prove all of these things false they still would say that pot is bad for you because its illegal and it is illegal for a reason.

i have watched the first 30 minutes of the movie "the Union:the business behind getting high" and i believe that it is the perfect movie to show my parents. i don't want to just say hey mom and dad watch this movie so that u know pot isnt bad.

my plan is too create an email address related to educating people about marijauana and send them a link to the movie. what do you guys think of this? i really want my parents to see this movie and be less ignorant.

any advice will be appreciated. thank you.

2. I understand how it could be awkward to approach the subject with them; I am in basically your situation as well with my parents. But don't create a fake email, that will probably just make them suspicious that it was you, just bring up the subject of marijuana at some point, and tell them you really want them to watch it, its entertaining, and they should humor you.

3. I thank god that i dont have these issues with my parents. They know its not dangerous and they used to do it and i think they still do from time to time. The only problem they have with me doing it is if i drive afterward. I dont but they warn me all the time not too. Just set up like a night with your parents and tell them its an interesting documentary.

4. I think what you should do is gather up articles about cannabis and several videos in an email. Send this to your parents but don't try to hide anything. Hiding stuff from parents is NEVER a good thing. I still live with my parents and my mother has absolutely no problem with me and my "Hobby" my dad even uses me as a contact to get HIS weed through. I was just honest with them, despite the fact that my sister and brother in law tried to sway my mom by saying I would get lung cancer like Bob Marley and DIE. I laughed and showed mom many articles pertaining to how cannabis may reduce breast cancer and the real story of good old Bob. Now we all agree and life is good, even though my mom doesn't smoke herself she still respects my choice to.

5. i hav found many of my parents friends who have smoked/still smoke and they were a big selling point to my family who think crack=weed lol if i came home and said i smoke crack or told them i smoked weed... i wud get the same reaction... but after talking to my father about it in a mature way... he accepted it because i am almost 20yrs old (damn where did all the time go...) your age will play a major part in your arguement btw because i think if your under 18 then you are at their mercy... best of luck!

if u can tell im a lil off track but my main point was... find people who smoke regularly and hav been able to keep a normal life it helped me.

6. Thats one hell of an inspiring story you told there. I would like to ask if they let you do it in the house though?

7. I love chill parents. I hate my lack of them.

8. I am allowed to smoke in the house, the only term is they ask that I raise my window a little to allow the smoke to exit. Other than that I am allowed to have my bongs, my mom even grinds my weed up for me in her "Magic Bullet" lol.

9. The magic bullet makes a good grinder? lmao Ill have to check that out my parents own one. I know that my parents smoke and they know i do it but we treat it as one of those dont ask dont tell things. I just want to get it all into the open so i can smoke in my house. Ill work up the courage one of these days.

10. Its not like that with my mom but its a dont ask dont tell thing with my dad, he calls me to get him an oz but hides his pipe everytime he sees me! Lol old men are silly!

11. If it comes up probably point out how it hasn't affected your life negative. Point out that if this is true, You get good grades work hard ect. but when done with that you do it. It doesn't harm you and idk its alright

12. id first send them an email of something they would be immediately interested it.
    maybe put the subject as "Why pot is bad for teenagers"

if something is telling them to think one way, they'll reject it

if something is thinking the same thing as them, they will want to open it.

then paste just real facts and stuff; and hope for the best

13. Remind them of alochol prohibition. and why was it re-legalized? they were scared buecause of all the crazy drunks, it is also what created organized crime. That is when gangsters surfaced, voilence was happening, crimes were commited despite the law. Police barely enforced those laws and besides, alcohol is much worse. There is a book titled Marijuana is Safer, So Why are we driving people to drink? Marijuana Is Safer by Steve Fox, Paul Armentano, Mason Tvert - Chelsea Green
    and if they dont drink at all then maybe you can pull the dirty tobacco card on them

14. My parents are pretty much the same. Even though I have pointed out all the good shit I have and do accomplish including the mature way I go about my life with the presence of weed, they still say the bullshit of... Its illegal for a reason. But fuck em.

Im going to say, If you want to judge on your limited knowledge of weed, then vape with me and then you can decide on what I should be doing. Once their high though, which we'll probably do later at night after we've had dinner and cleaned up shit, I'll see how they feel about marijuana.

Maybe they'd become regular tokers too :)

15. Lay em out with TRUTH from The Union.

16. My Advice: Have some common sense brother and understand your parents will always think about protecting you first against threats real or imagined, you are their child after all. It isn't a big surprise when parental units rock the boat because they're exuding their heartfelt and instinctive nurturing traits. That's how the universe rolled the dice so I suggest you roll with it. Understand that logic will not work on a worried parent so give that crap up, all you're doing is wasting time you could be smoking ganj.

You have to make a pretty adult decision--I seriously hope you're 18--which is to keep that part of your life a secret. Yeah it isn't ideal, but the world seldom is and often great pointless effort is expended to achieve something we know is pure fantasy. The truth is, and I think I can speak in sweeping generalizations without fear of being too broad, but we all hide things from the people in our lives, even the ones we love the most. It's just human nature yo, accept it, accept them and move on with your life, which will hopefully include a place of your own (unless you already have one).

C'est la vie.

17. i was just gonna say "have them watch The Union"

18. I was lucky with my parents both my parents smoked i smoke with my family at reunions sometimes everyone bring they're own shit we usually end up with a pound and a half yeah they'res a bunch of us at least 12 uncles/sisters and a lot of cousins .

Seeing as your over 18 you should ask them if they wanna kick back and try it how would they know how bad it is if they've never tried and honestly who's parent hasn't tried it at least once and plus whats the worst thing they'll do kick you if they really don't want you to smoke move out bro its your life now man!

19. Since his parents already have a negative frame of mind about cannabis I really doubt pulling a pipe/bong out at family game night is likely to get a lot of positive feedback, and also some people don't have the financial means to get their own place. I think he needs to approach the topically lightly not strong, and respect his parents wishes, and most importantly stay calm!

20. ive watched the union 10 times, and my parents too are amti pot, so this thread helps, i plan on confronting them soon