Ed's Coconut Grove - The Lounge

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by AskEd, Jan 3, 2010.

1. #61 AskEd, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
    Ah those are old ones. The mother (Amber Lynn) is a monster crop cutting so she's always had pistils, this clone here is a 3rd generation and was taken while Amber was back into in veg stage, still with pistils though.

2. Oh! I learned something!

Thanks Ed! You actually cleared up some confusion for me...

3. Ed..i just stole your cloner for a post on rumps.....tip of the hat sir..

4. And I am glad you did! That is the sexiest little clone machine I have seen in a long time. Blew me away. F'n nice work, keep it up.

5. #65 AskEd, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010

Thanks seal, very cool of you :)

Thanks rumple! It's an honor to have you stop by, I can't tell you how helpful your step-by-steps have been (ALL of them). That little bugger is my 2nd cloner based on yours.

I did make my 3rd one to spec though, she's on day 10 of her maiden cloning in my 'other' garden...

[​IMG]

We have some spearmint, rosemary, parsley, sage..
    [​IMG]

And I'm trying for a 2-fer here with the parsley
    [​IMG]

Once this round is done, she gets transfered to the Coconut Grove, I have plenty of work to keep it busy over there.

6. Ed I love that rack. Been scoping out the big ones at Lowes since last Nov. Just trying to figure out how to work one or two into a permanent space so I can have my guest bathroom back. I think the same size is cheaper at Target by about 50%.

And that fluorescent light. Do they actually work? Probably for small plants like herbs....

Additionally, I have to comment on the excellent craftsmanship you display. Many don't take enough pride to properly construct or design what they're doing and just throw things together.

Pride in doing it right...

7. Thanks saaz, much appreciated man. Yeah that rack we got at Sams about 15 years ago for $80 and it has been used in the garage, kitchen, storage room, you name it over the years. It's 4' wide and about 6' tall, with plenty of shelf space. I can fit 2 or 3 of the gray tubs on one shelf perfectly.

Not too many other plants call for the intensity of light that weed does, maybe some fruiting tomato plants or other veggies - but herbs and young seedlings don't ask for much. Most of that stuff back there is in prep for this year's summer garden - various tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, green beans, peppers, and on the 'herb' shelf I have a perpetual supply of various lettuce and herbs and radishes.

All in coco of course :)

On the lights - those fixtures (T12) are $9 (includes mounting hardware) and $6 for the two bulbs. I dug around and found the perfect ones - 40w 6500k 2300 lumens and I have a couple of 2700k's later if I need LOL.

So for $30 I have two fixtures cranking out 160 watts with the perfect blue spectrum. For that price in the T5 family, I can get one 2' 27watt 6400k 2000 lumen fixture. So for this application these lights are perfect IMO. For weed - not so much but I think it could get some decent results, especially if another $30 was invested to double the light (4 would fit across a shelf just right).

[​IMG]

8. Did you have to wire up the light? Pre-ballasted?

9. I love the immaculent set-up, it's looks like a hospital in there! :D

10. man do I love homegrown lettuce :D:yummy:

11. As a matter of fact, I always feel like the girls' nurse while Ed is mixing up the exact prescription. I have been helping with the watering and then always keeping them clean (the tubs get a good bath once a week). :p

12. :wave:You guys are a great team! I thought you had something to do with the sparkles in there. Good job, it's very eyepealing! :D

13. Nah, this thing came ready to go, I just had to pull on the light holders until they snapped into place. Hell they even come with hoods! I looked on Home Depot's website but it's not listed, I found these in the bulk area marked "shop lights" though. If you want more info let me know and I'll get a pic for you.

Thanks Buzz! :wave: I like that - hospital LOL Mites have me waking up in the middle of the night screaming, I have been scarred with them in the past so I try to keep it clean.

I tend to think of the tomatoes and stuff in your outdoor garden - such a beautiful area you live in, you would not believe how much MrsEd wants a spread like yours :)

We are sold after a little taste of that in the last grow! And I recall seeing some pics of your hydro lettuce :eek: After seeing that I told MrsEd we need a perpetual system so it's on now. I forgot where I saw that but feel free to post any pics of that if you have them handy, it'll show up my little rack here but I don't mind :p

14. Every time i stop by the grove there is something cool going on.The bride and i have often talked about herbs in out grow room and there it is,,:wave:

15. Bought some jiffy cubes and cilantro seed the other day at lowes. I got up today and put bagseed in the cubes instead:D Anyone ever used jiffy cubes? Think they will germ in those?

16. Got the exact same bus-tubs at Acemart this AM. Not intentionally, but the handles being more flush was the selling point and decider.

Cheap too. Only $5.45 ea.

17. Cool to know...my Sam's Business Center closed down and I can't get them anymore for $3.

Funny, I took all my herbs outside again this morning after being inside for the winter and it felt strange to be watering an "outdoor" garden.

18. Hay Ed:wave: & misses Ed:wave:
    u guys got a hell of a nice set up.....im gona have 2 +rep u again as soon as i can... anyway nice work........:hello::hello:

19. Hi Ed, I was checking out your little mini-cloner, that is a sweet little gizmo, I'm thinking I might make me one of those. Perfect for our small, personal grows. Makes cloning worth it for even 1 or 2 plants. I like how I can put it under a pile of dirty clothes or something.

20. #80 AskEd, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
    Hi seal, yeah we do a lot of herbs & veggies lately, I've been like the mad scientist trying all kinds of stuff with coco, it's amazing for that. I tried some lettuce in my first closet grow and it was great so now i'm trying it with the whole summer garden.

I haven't tried the cubes but I used to use the pellets a lot. I've always had good luck with them. I've been trying "Light Warrior" made by Fox Farms specifically for seedlings. It's pretty cool - full of organic stuff to get them off good. So far pure coco is blowing doors on starting seeds and cuttings with everything I'm trying though, including my cilantro that sprouted yesterday :) I've always had a hard time with cilantro.

I'd pay $100 each for those things their so damn handy LOL I just wouldn't have as many.

Thanks Cutter! Good to see you drop by bud. Appreciate the rep man, the missus has passed me up on the "badass meter" up there already! LOL

Yeah it's surprisingly quiet and just right for me. I'm trying to build a library of bansai mothers from all these strains I'm running through, so two at a time is perfect.

If you get serious about making one PM me and I have a few notes to share with you.