Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Edible's & CBD's?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by FarmerJames, Apr 8, 2012.

1. I tried my first home made edibles recently to good success. I baked about 2 grams of bud in a sealed foil pouch for 40 minutes @ 225F then mixed with 1/8 cup of EVOO in a covered dish and baked another 30 @ 200F. When it was don I strained through a mesh (not paper) coffee filter.

Worked great! I am ready to make a larger batch so I can keep it on hand. The question I have is how can I best make sure I am extracting max CBDs as well as THC?

I know that THC is usually the focus but I have found that the high CBD strains do a great deal of good for me.

Thanks

FJ

2. bump......also interested in this

3. Use the highest Saturated fat product you can find. Coconut oil is great. And badkitty goes as far as mixing in a few other types of fats in small amounts to aid absorption.

4. Researching various solvents to use for extracting cannabinoids may be helpful, as well as the different extraction methods used per solvent. Through documented trial and error you should be able to fine tune your extraction method(s) and the creation of your final solution to best suit your needs.

Making effective edibles should be a several step process with proper care taken throughout each individual step to reduce potency loss and increase bioavailability.

Proper extraction, decarboxylation, infusion, packaging, and storage are vital components of potent edibles.

But if you're like me and have an insatiable hunger for knowledge, especially that which is "unknown", you should be able to take samples of your goodies to an established dispensary that participates in lab testing.
    If you have access to said dispensary, and for a small nominal (but worth it!) fee, your edibles can be analyzed through, typically, either gas chromatography or mass spectrometry. Gas chromatography is the cheaper, and therefor, more common method and you may even be able to find some relatively inexpensive D.I.Y home kits to get an approximate idea of the approximate potency of your material.

If you're that interested it might be worth your while to experiment a little bit. Try making several batches of your favorite edible but make each one slightly differently.
    Using the same material, use a few different extraction methods (QWISO, bubble hash, BHO, dry ice extraction, etc) to obtain several different types of hash.
    Experiment with different solvents to infuse the cannabinoids into. Coconut oil is extremely popular as it largely consists of medium chain triglycerides (important to facilitate portal vein absorption via the liver, rather than lymphatic absorption which isn't as effective) as well as grape seed oil, palm kernel oil, etc. Olive oil works, but not as well as high MCT oils. Butter consists of a myriad of different length triglycerides and also contains some water and milk solids. If you use butter it is highly recommended to clarify it first before attempting to infuse your cannabinoids.

After you have several batches of the same edible, made with different types of cannabis infused oil/lipids, you can take small samples to be lab tested, and in the mean time....do your own lab testing by enjoying your fresh baked goodies! :yay:

Hope this helps shed some light on your question.
    Lab testing is the way to go, especially if you consistently use the same genetics. One lab test goes a long way if you perpetually procure the same strain! :cool:

5. Make them with vaporizer leftovers aka. ABV The THC boils off at a lower temp than CBD, so vaporize at a low temp, then when you go to make edibles it should be a higher CBD ratio, and already de-carbed.