Ecology and Conservation Biology

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by jedi_mind_trick, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Fellow blades! I come to you looking for serious advice on a pretty important decision.

Basically my background story is that i am just finishing my associates of science degree completed at a 2 year community college. I don't have any specific area of interest and basically am just now deciding on a major that i want to possibly pursue at a four year university, and will unfortunately have to start all over from scratch.

I want to get my B.S. in Ecology and Conservation Biology but am a little worried about the course guidelines for the degree. I dont find myself to be very book smart (and am terrible at math) but feel like i havent really put myself out there to recognize my full potential. My gpa at school is a 3.2 but that's just from taking simple pre-req classes.

Classes i have to take include chemistry, physics, calculus, and vigorous science classes of that nature.

Basically i'm worried that i'm not smart enough to complete the degree, does anyone have experience in the same situation? I dont know if i'm just being hard on myself or if i'm really just not cut out to be in the scientific field because i dont really have a technical "scientific" mind.

Sorry for the long read and i'm not really sure if what i'm asking is clear but if anyone has any advice or personal experience pertaining to the same situation. Thanks!

2. I am taking up the same AS you are with the biology option
    I am not crazy about math myself
    But then again what are the schools and the professor getting paid for?

I say you need to take your courses more seriously
    If you lack in math skills then that means you have to really study and not just get by on what you can

3.2 gpa is a great number
    Stick with it and try to get an internship if you can find one and maybe that can light the fire for you again

GL

3. For one, I would take only one of the classes you would struggle with per semester if possible. That way the work load can be evenly dispersed.

Also, saying you don't have a mind for math is just silly. Like with any subject, you need to get good at it. You may be bad at it now, but if your train yourself you will get better. Study hard, be smart about priorities, and disperse your work load the best you can... This is my advice.