EC consistently lower in runoff

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by DyersEve726, Dec 7, 2019.

1. I've been following cocoforcannabis.com to a T for a while now. Five weeks from seed. Everything is going great and all my plants look happy but, even fertigating 5 times a day, I still get around 1000ec runoff, when 1100ec is going in. I've got 7 drip emitters per plant placed all around the 3 gal pots and I hand water every 3 days or so to make sure to hit the whole pot. EC out has never once exceeded EC in, as it should, with any plant. They do seem to get sad when I don't hand water every once in a while, but how the hell is 7 emitters per plant not enough? Takes 3 minutes on my auto system to create runoff and I run it for 4. Am I really still hot spotting? [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Lower ec in your runoff usually means that your plants are eating that much. Try bringing your feed strength up to 1200 ec

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I had thought of that, but I've also gotten some (really) light nute burn on a couple leaves so felt like I might be pushing the boundary. All the nute burn was on one plant though and it was a weirdo from day one and got pulled from the tent anyhow. I'll slowly push to 1200 over the next couple days and see what happens. Thanks :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. You want it lower in the run off mate. If it’s higher then that’s showing the nutes building up in the pot.
    Less is best man. That way if you get a deficiency you know straight away that’s it’s actually a deficiency and not a side effect of over feeding, which itself generally causes ph problems.
    If they’re happy n healthy just keep doing what you’re doing :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Weird...cocoforcannabis is pretty adamant that runoff should always be around 200ec ABOVE what goes in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ya I read that too and have been unable to get there.

My ppm out is always lower and I’m currently at 900ppm going in.

They seem happy!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

7. Then coco for cannabis is completely wrong mate.
    Just think about it logically. If the ec is rising then the plants can’t possibly be absorbing the feed can they? What else could cause the ec to rise other than a build up of nutrients?
    Don’t believe everything you read just cos it’s on a legit lookin spreadsheet bud there’s a lot of stoner science involved with this hobby and everything you read, no matter how much “fact” is in it, is just one mans opinion.
    I do realise you could say the same about my opinion but it only takes a little bit of common sense to see that I’m right.
    Anyone with half a brain on here will tell you the same too :)

• Like Like x 3

8. Same principles as dwc and other hydro grows??

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

9. Precisely bud :) coco is hydro so all same rules apply.

10. Thanks Dude!

After a couple years into this now I'm still figuring it out. Gettin there tho!

My brain is like a diesel engine sometimes, takes a good while to get warmed up.

Cheers

11. You and me both mate lol I blame the constant supply of weed :)
    When I started out I just hit google for “worlds biggest Autoflower” came across mr ganjamotos 1kg auto and tried to replicate it as best I could.
    Figured he knew better than everyone else seeing as nobody else can get em that size indoors so just done what he done.
    first attempt was 11oz but the second came out at 22oz. Not bad for an auto.
    I’ve since tried pretty much every other hydro method on over a hundred plants and none of them came anywhere close so I’m finally giving up on it all and going back to NFT where it all began :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Their theory is that the EC rises in between feeding as the coco dries and the fresh nutrients wash out that excess and thus gives a higher run-off ec. Everything else on that website has treated me really well, so it seems odd that that one bit would be wrong Maybe because they're getting fed five times a day, the coco never dries enough for EC to rise. In a 5 gallon pot, hand watering twice a day, I can imagine a good EC rise might occur in between feedings.

13. Yup pretty much mate. What you’ve just said is what I said just from a different angle.
    You agree ppm rise would be caused by the coco drying out. This is correct.
    The point is though that if you want to get the best from your coco then don’t let it dry out to the point where it will effect the levels of the pot.
    Therefor it’s pretty much a non- issue. don’t have to even check the run off cos you know that what you’re putting In is what’s coming out.
    Put the plants on a record drip and you’ll be able to see it in the reservoir too :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. I bumped my EC up to 1200 very slowly and am now getting damn near identical numbers going in and coming out...thanks for the info, everyone! Girls are lookin super happy. Tomorrow starts week four of flower and they're starting to look pretty legit. [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Hey everyone. Got a question. My runoff ec is climbing to 1300 now (1200 going in). I noticed less runoff and a longer delay before runoff happened after my pump stopped. For now I just bumped up the event time by a minute, but ec hasn't dropped yet after almost a day and four feedings (plus one healthy hand feeding). Should I up my frequency also? I'm already at five times a day.

16. Watering 5 times a day and sufficient to keep flow EC stable (for flowering plants). Actually the answer to all the questions. How To Set EC Targets - General EC Ranges for Cannabis in Coco - Coco For Cannabis - Plant Science
    Table of Contents - Articles, Tutorials & DIY Projects - Coco For Cannabis

17. Already read all that several times. The answer was to increase frequency also. Everything stabilized going up to six times. They're thirsty right now. Had some light nute burn showing for a second there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. When I first started I looked for this answer too. But as plants grow flowering, the desire to feed increases. Coco should never dry. Hooray 5 times a day nutrition lol