Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

EC Concentrate concerns

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by Cryptic Mitch, May 25, 2019.

1. Long time follower, first time poster. I have gained a considerable amount of info from this forum over the years.. Very greatful for this place!

Now onto my reason for posting.. I have made qwiso many times with great results. Using ISO doesn't quite sit well with me (even though I know I've gotten rid of it all I still don't like the idea that there may be trace amounts of poison in the product I'm ingesting.. I understand this is a debate with many views and opinions)

Was able to aquire some everclear (95%) and decided to give that a go. Same method - very quick wash done at freezing temps double strained through bamboo cone filters, and evapped naturally. (I like to cover pyrex with plastic wrap and tiny holes poked to prevent dust contamination)

Onto my concern..

Final product does not smell like I believe it should. It almost has a bit of a subtle yet sharp alcohol smell. I have the concentrate in the top cap of a plastic grinder, which was sat on top of an audio reciever for a few days to gradually and very gently heat it to be damn sure that I have gotten rid of everything! Consitency has changed to a playdough/wet wax type mixture, though the smell remains.

Have I done something wrong, or is this simply a property of EC?
    My concern is not quality smell or taste, but rather the safety of possibly smoking trace amounts of alcohol

Any and all advice greatly appreciated! My last resort is edibles..

Dark pic is unedited, light pic edited to how I see it in person.

TL,DR - my qwet smells like EC

Attached Files:

2. If it smells like alcohol then it still contains alcohol. When you evaporate into a thick layer it can skin over and prevent some of the alcohol and water from evaporating. I suggest next time use thin layers and leave it in your pyrex dish until it's done evaporating. I've had my best results when after it's ready the wax looks like a layer of paint in the dish and I can run my finger over it without it sticking. I don't really like your idea to cover it with plastic wrap with pin holes, I think that could slow evaporation. I put mine inside a cabinet where falling dust isn't a problem. If you make this often I suggest sitting your dish on a seed starter mat, the temp doesn't get over the 90s and it helps with getting a thorough evaporation.

I think using 99% iso makes a better wax because it contains less water than EC but like you say some people worry about using isopropyl even though I don't. The color of your wax makes me think it still has some moisture trapped in it. If you keep stirring it and keeping it warm perhaps the wetness will go away. I prefer a wax texture that doesn't stick to your hands, like pull and snap.

• Like Like x 1