Ebb n Flow Ppm question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jaded4life69, Oct 23, 2016.

• Ok. I'm running a 9 site Capp ebb and flow system with 40 gallons in the rez. I'm an experienced soil grower but this is my first hydro grow. I am using the Lucas with GH nutes. No ro but my well is around 250 ppm. I have a blue labs combo meter. Currently all plants look healthy.Week 3 of flower with Gdp and Sour Diesel. My question is this. I changed my rez, mixed my nutes and had a ppm of 950 (.5). Ph was about 6. I left for vaca for 5 days and when i returned my ppm is just over 100?!? What happened? How did it drop so much? And how should i change it? Rez change? Also... While we're here. Lol. My stoner persona doesn't understand how when running the same nute mix in the Lucas formula you are supposed to raise your ppm as the grow proceeds? Is this done by adding extra bennies? Lol. First question is a priority but would like help with both Anything you can add would also be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1. I'd be willing to bet that it's just over 1000 ppm
    Does your meter have a small x10 displayed?
    Top up with water and check again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Looking now. Thanks!

3. Nope. Nothing like that? Thanks for your response! Any other ideas?

Attached Files:

4. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that meter, but I find it hard to believe that ppm's went down that much in that short of time. Maybe read up on your meter to verify how it displays the values.

5. I agree with not finding it to be right. Its one of the better meters out there though. Not a cheapy. Just weird and worrisome to a hydro noob! Haha. I'll put it in a cali solition right now and post a pic. Lmk if you have any other thoughts! And thanks for the reply!

6. I use blue lab hand held meters for ph and ppm and love them when the work. Had to return a few in the past due to their internal screw ups. They also screw up if the batteries get old. Dunno if ur unit is a plug in or battery operated but if batteries operated try replacing them
    Also make sure the sensor is not covered by crap and is actually in the nute solution. Also make sure it is not sitting in a bubble stream if u aerate your res as this will throw PPMs off. Last idea is to calibrate it and see if it will calibrate properly. If not u will need to return it for a replacement. Should be under warrantee if u bought it recently

To increase your PPMs as the plants mature you should empty and re do your res with higher levels of nutes. I replace mine roughly every week

7. Thanks for the reply! Getting the calibration fluid tomorrow! Will also check everything else momentarily. As to the raise the level of nutes, should this be done by using additional nutes or raising the Lucas formula to 9/18 etc? Thanks again for your reply!

8. I wouldn't do more than the 8/16. You don't need high ppms.
    Week 5, I'd pry drop the micro to 6ml (cuts out some nitrogen) and get a bottle of liquid koolbloom for PK boost. 1ml per gallon that week. 2ml the following weeks up till flush.

However, if you do feel the need to raise the base lucas formula, you're correct. Just maintain the 1:2 ratio. But, like I said, I'd be dropping the micro a little to knock down N some at this point of flowering. So essentially the 1:2 ratio is out the window at this point. lol
    You don't need a lot of nitrogen in flower though. As a matter of fact, too much will cause clawing leaves and airy buds. So, you can tailor it some by using a little less micro.
    Let's see the plants.

9. how do you like the ebb and flow?

what size? in a tent? height problems?

10. It's nice so far! Won't really know for about 6 more weeks... Haha! Yes on height problems but that's my fault because it took me too long to get them moved. Not in a tent though. Co2 sealed ( mostly lol) room.

11. 1477289677720269694464.jpg

12. Looks good. They don't need a stronger mix. I mean it's up to you, but you risk salting them up by pushing the ppms. I'm from the school of less is more...
    I'd do like I said. Start dropping the micro a little and make up for the ppms with a little extra bloom, or get some liquid koolbloom.

13. Might just try that. I'm kinda keeping it simple my first run with dro. Hoping at least to equal what I would of done with soil. If nothing else I'll cut back the Micro a little around 5 weeks! The one that really interest me is H202. What do you think about it? Anyone else feel free to chime in on it as well!

14. I don't use it.