eating one meal a day?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by bleeds, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I've been doing this for years now. I've heard it causes you to gain weight because your body "freaks out" and starts storing fat. However, there are a lot of sources just from a google search that tells me that you lose weight by doing this. Some people tell me they get dizzy if they don't have food 3 times a day (sugar levels?). My weight has never fluctuated from doing this and i've never felt dizzy, but I am curious what, if any, adverse health effects this causes. What physiological changes are happening in my body as I go from many meals to one?

2. Fiickin sweet man, keep a diary of your food intake, and your thoughts/emotions/actions, play scientist and see if ya learn anything :D

3. ya once a day is gonna give you the slowest metabolism from eating as opposed to eating smaller meals more often, and you are gonna get the worst nutrient absorption possible also. So ya only disadvantages

4. is it just a matter of efficiency or is it actually harming my body-- ie do i just tend to eat more to fill in that nutrient loss?

5. efficiency in the sense that your body is not absorbing a lot of the nutrients. Smaller meals more often your body will get better absorption of the food you eat. Truth be told the 3 meals a day thing has to do with fitting meals around people's work schedule and has nothing to do with nutrition. People really should eat more often than that. Sumo wrestlers and lumberjacks often times eat once a day to gain wait or to keep weight on

6. Technicially having a maintained schedule of eating a few small meals a day seems to keep your energy going (at least for me) I've had some times when i didn't have money/grub and skipped a few meals or even a dya or two of eating. As long as you stay hydrated, your body can go for a while without any food.
    It might cause problems down the road, and doesn't help at keeping your metabolism going, but tough times call for rough actions
    fuck it eat and be happy, life's too short to not indulge in some midnight munchies

7. i usually only eat one meal a day, and thats lunch, if im blazed i usually munch out at night but most the time cant be fucked cooking dinner, just blaze with a icy cold drank and some chocolate mmmhhmm

8. What is your height and weight.

9. i bet you dont exercise... please exercise... it is good for your health... and exercise will automatically increase your appetite and hence you will eat more

10. yep exercise speeds up your metabolism all true :)

11. I mountain bike and boulder almost every other day. Sometimes the single meal is very large... ie i will down an entire large pizza by myself-- for a 5'5/125lb guy that is a lot of pizza in one sitting.

12. You are missing out on so many essential antioxidants, proteins etc. That is borderline binge eating... What hours are you awake in the day I'll write you up a hypothetical diet plan. PM me if you wish.

13. I can't put down the spoon man! :D But seriously, I don't have an 'uncontrollable urge' to eat. Eating one meal saves a lot of time for more GC?

14. only rich people eat 3 times a day :)

15. i do it, but i pig out at like midnight and pass out.

16. I have dieted many diff ways, if I do the one meal deal I can't lose weight, suppose my metabolisim shuts down, also get very lethargic and spaced.

17. All I have eaten for years is a meal a day.... ussually anyways.... not dieting. Just a dad of 4 that works 50 hours a week

18. #19 BillDavis, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
    I used to eat once a day and my weight stayed pretty much the same. I switched it up and just eating 3-4 smaller meals a day I've been losing about 2-3 pounds a week without changing daily activities. But everyone is different so once a day may work for you but unless you're taking vitamins and whatever you're not getting everything you need.

19. I only eat once a day and snack a lot at night (usually cause thats when I blaze). Not a great idea, honestly. I have kept up this lifestyle for a few years but I am tired all the time and get bad stomach aches.