easy way to prevent infrared detection

Discussion in 'Security' started by dynamicsurplus, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Lead and Tin are both affective at blocking out infrared frequency. A thin film would work 100%. You wont only need to apply it in areas around the source of heat.

I'm not sure if lead based paint would do the trick. I think it would, if you apply multiple coats. If someone has an infrared sensor, they can paint some saran rap with lead based paint and stick it in front of a heat source to test it. I don't have any money at the moment to purchase an infrared sensor.

2. i feel like lead could be a hazard to the crop you know

3. Best way is to move to the United State where they need a warrant in order to use IR on your house. In the US, if they are using IR on your house, you are busted regardless of the results.

4. maybe line your room with Reflectix or some other IR blocker...i doubt lead based paint will do it...not to mention lead based paints are unhealthy and unsafe for newborns and pets...probably not good for us either.

it helps insulate and reflects light

5. I don't know OP's location, but correct me if I'm wrong.. in the US, infrared technology is not allowed to be used to see within a private residence without a search warrant.

if worried.... foil that is formed into a row of ridges..... plus two layers crossways over/around grow area.

6. It's not allowed in the Us but they will still use it bc cops and dea are above the law

7. yeah if you're worried about the IR detectors then you're basically busted already.

For those growing in the usa you should know that a search warrant is required BEFORE they an fly over your house/drive by ur house and look with the detector.

so for them to get said search warrant you have to have made a huge mistake already or you were dealing...person got pinched...fingered you as a grower, etc...that kind of deal...they have to already have some good evidence on your to use the IR.

so i would focus more on keeping a lower profile than running out and putting foil on everything.

8. yeah dude if your to the point where you have to worry about IR, move your grow... or get rid of your plants, you can grow more later..

9. Infra red devices detect heat. Law enforcement officers use IR to detect heat patterns that are typical of marijuana grow ops. These include single rooms or basements that are suspiciously warmer than the other rooms of the house, or heat being pumped out of the house from a grow room. If you spread the heat out, and let your whole house be as warm as your grow room, you should be okay. I think I've heard of people using LED and fluorescent lights to avoid the heat problem. I don't know enough about lighting to keep talking about that though. And I would avoid using lead in your grow room haha.

10. What about heat out put on a cfl grow. I know hps and mh lights put off a lot of heat. Not quite sure on cfl's though.

11. #11 FunTimeGrowHap, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    CFLs have the potential to create a warm spot that could be seen with FLIR.

However, in an insulated room with proper ventilation that dissipates through your house (as oppose to an attic or outside), it doesn't matter what lights you use. FLIR won't see anything.

12. there is something called plain view

if the cop can see it then its in...of corse they dont say how can they see it. the law is vague for a reason

this trumps everything else

13. If I was a cop, I would look at my entire jurisdiction with FLIR, then go back and knock on the doors of anything I saw that looked suspicious, coerce my way into their spot, find a seed on the carpet, and proceed to go apeshit on all kinds otherwise innocent people.

Fuck warrants. We've got knock and talks. That would be my motto.

14. Unfortunately that is what they do...All they need is probable cause, it doesn;t get any vaguer than that. Our local paper just had an article busting a grower they said they used an IR device that was loaned to them. If you think for one minute they didn't drive around and take notes your nuts. They don't need a warrant just ballsy cops to walk up to your door and tell you your dog got off the leash and then they say they smell the skunklyoshious dank. Best way to avoid detection tell your state to get fuked and move to a legit state. Washington comes to mind, lol. Seriously though think outside the box you can do your job anywhere, don't sit and wait for your state to get hip.
    Or just step it up and invest in some led or Lumitek ballasts and some cooltubes. If you keep your room same temp as rest of the house your golden.
    This is why I love having multiple cards, I can actually sleep at night

15. I'm aware. Probable cause isn't a vague thing. It has a pretty solid legal definition, but that is insignificant. They don't even need probable cause if some dumb-ass let's them inside.

If you don't open the door, johnny fatback can't use the excuse "it smelled like weed and a house to seize up in that bitch." If they have a warrant, let the fucker kick the door in.

16. A search warrant is required to use IR to specifically fly over your home. I have heard of it sticking when night helos are after someone trying to evade arrest and they just happen to see your heat signature.
    Some states are allowing that, some are requiring them to come up with more info than that to issue a warrant. Most arrests come from a narc....not your heat signature though.

17. my friend built a gigantic greenhouse right by the police station and use to wave at them just to make fun of this whole topic. its against the constitution , truestory