Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. While yer there - leaf mold is the best. Mostly decomped leaves from last fall matted down. We collect them in the spring and use them in the gardens. Nothing better than that really and there will be worms and worm cocoons in there as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. The internet has a dozen ways to catch worms in your yard. :)
    You can also order them online but that can be tricky this time of year depending on your location and temps in the mail truck.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. #15183 puffnstuff1960, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  4. I do vermi-composting. The worms know where the food is. They show up for the feeding frenzy. They everywhere.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. First of I would like to say hello from NZ! thanks to the creator and contributors here as this has been my go to for info about starting my own living soil mix. Now I need help please as I think I may have stuffed up a little right at the beginning. I am doing a 1/3 1/3 1/3 mix of Sphagnum Peat Moss, EWC and Pumice to make up 150L of base but I ended up using tap water to rehydrate the moss which is chlorinated (oppsy) I switched to filtered water half way through before mixing in EWC and Pumice. I haven't mixed in anything else at the moment and the base is sitting under a tarp as I thought it may evaporate before mixing in amendments and minerals. Would this effect the base? is there anything I can do? are the microbes done for it? Many thanks JK

• Like Like x 2
  6. 1548 – Impact of Watering Lawns and Gardens with Chlorinated Water – PlantTalk Colorado

Chlorine, Chloramine and Plants - Everything You Need to Know - Garden Myths

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. my girls yesterday

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Round grey garden (angle)worms and nightcrawlers are not worms for composting.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hello, Ive just got all the ingredients to make a soil mix and start cooking it. I just realised that my "dry organic fertilizer" component was actually slow release. Will this be a problem? I was planning to cook the mix for 2 months and its a three month slow release? Or should I get non slow released fertilizer? Attached pics Cheers!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. The soilless mix I made this season, real happy with it. Was inspired a lot by the recipe at the start of this thread.
    40 gal CSPM
    30 gal Malibu compost
    20 gal Perlite
    12 C Oyster shell/aragonite
    12 C Gypsum
    16 C Basalt Dust
    20 C Perfect Blend biotic fertilizer 4-4-4
    I mix the screened peat and the liming agent/minerals/fertilizer together, then do the same with the compost and perlite, then combine it all together.
    20220702_133407.jpg
    Here's two sister Strayfox Gardenz Hawaiian Peaches sitting in 5 gallons of this mix, just defoliated 2nd week into flower.
    20220928_171227.jpg

20220928_171237.jpg
    20220928_171249.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. Just add a handful of worms in there, worms will put plenty of beneficial bacteria back into the mix, they are kinda like your best friend in this soil mix.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Couple of weeks ago i put some worm castings in a Tupperware bowl and top dress my plants with it. I sat it on top of my tent and forgot about it and this happened. Should I use it too top dress again. 20221021_215158.jpg 20221021_215239.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  13. That's just fungal hyphae. You can use it without issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Your microbes are actively cycling your nutrients. This is what is supposed to happen and is good. I call it “pre cycling” nutrients. Your next top dress will be more effective and the nutrients will be available quicker. It’s a handy trick most of us do on purpose, cause it works great. I add powdered malted barley (mbp) to my castings (vermicompost). In fact I just dumped a tray of vermicompost and added malted barley powder to these two days ago.
    She’s growing the Santa’s Beard.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Learn something new every day. Now I am going to do this all the time. Appreciate the info.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Do you make your own castings? If not its a rabbit hole worth exploring.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Found this thread recently Reading brasses posts
    What fertilisers are reccomended in granules like mentioned
    I can’t find many here in the uk soil approved
    This website is but I can’t decide on the npks their 4-3-3 got me here as it’s chicken manure Granular Fertilizers for Organic Agriculture

otherwise I’m
    ewc
    peat
    lava 240l each

2basalt cup bed cu f
    1 gypsum cup per cu
    1 oyster flour cup per cu

bag of kelp n bennies myco etc 600g

1/4cup alfalfa per cu
    1cup bran wheat em1 per cu (2.5-2-1)
    1 cup malt barley per cu (feeds the microbes ) and mycor fungal that’s my only solid atm prebiotic fungus yay

so really I’m only missing crab neem and kelp from a coots mix and kelps with my bennies anyway just at lower dose than asked on their recipie so less salts
    Alfalfa replaces neem anyway well with hormones too tria etc
    Crab is replaced with gypsum which is a reccomended choice by many anyway
    Bran adds good amino acids and low npk fast digesting minerals for microbes

so I’m not low on much so these granular feeds could be the addition I need to really give me good yields still ?? But which n what the npks do haha confusion 4-3-7 seems good but I can’t gauge the flower transition and wha to use as all has n?

• Like Like x 1
  18. I believe you should be able to access comfrey and nettles in the UK. Both are excellent organic additions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 100% I have 30 litres of comfrey bracken sheep wool which I throw in cause it’s mineral content does have a lot from the comfrey that’s good for it

Just few the cast and small additions I have needs a kick

@TimJ have ya ever heard of biovin from grapes it’s a 3-1-2 I see peep saying that’s an all rounder for canna

it also stops leeching and feeds micro with alot of other added benefits seems like a perfect fit too just don’t have the guts to confirm it lol
    Biovin™

also a 3-2-3 just every time I see a npk reccomended they say about 5 different numbers that can be applied in the same profile some how
    I get the divide by smallest but confused t why it’s all different it’s like algebra

Microlife 3:2:3

So I look for one and get told there is too much nitrogen in that one saying 5-2-6 and reccomends me a bloody 7-10-8 I sware I’m getting lost in these numbers lol need a firm hard finger to point at me lol I’m scared after fucking my last soil up I suffer bad with anxiety as you can see haha I am sorry I am panicy I don’t wanna fuck me plants up again
    I hate chems but I can mix you salts from scratch lol literally element by element
    This organic stuff is so easy it’s rock solid hard hahaha shit I can’t get my head round it wish I learnt it first before chems

• Like Like x 1