Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BIG TEXT ALERT
    I have many expensive seeds bought on the Attitude Seeds Bank website, but of course, I will not spend them in a soil that I don't know. However, I believe that where you live it does not exist (sorry if I am wrong), but here in Brazil, there is a type of marijuana called "Prensado" (I think it is called brick weed).
    It is the easiest and cheapest way to commercialize marijuana here (and in other countries where it is illegal).
    Why is it called "Prensado"? It is nothing more than the use of a press to reduce the volume of the marijuana, making it easier to hide. This type of Marijuana is HORRIBLE, it doesn't have any quality, we have no way of knowing what type of strain we are consuming and we can't be sure that there aren't other things that are more harmful. The cannabinoid profile is completely different from what was found before the pressed.
    It is difficult to determine exactly what is inside of "Prensado" , because of having this period where the plants are unprotected, it is possible to find insects. As the drying process is not the most effective, there is still a lot of humidity in the plants when they are pressed, which creates the perfect environment for the proliferation of fungus, a dark, humid environment, and with vegetable matter available. On top of all this, there is a large percentage of ammonia that is super harmful to health.

Okay, but after all this text, what am I getting at?
    In this pressed plant, there is a large amount of seeds, and many of them are still germinable, so we can do all kinds of tests, but we have to count on luck too, because they are regular seeds.

We, Brazilians, started to grow our own marijuana to not have to depend on this shit that is "Pressed" anymore. And I will tell you something serious, I found the gold here in this forum, on this subject, in Brazil, we are still extremely ignorant. So I just have to thank you for all the help you have given. I am very grateful. =)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. I think most of the older generation are familiar with Mexican Brick Weed of the 90’s.
    You can grow out some seeds. It’s probably really good when properly dried, jarred, and cured as opposed to “bricked” in a trash compactor. It’s probably a local landrace cultivar which could be really nice.
    Cheers
    Os

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Seriously, you guys are not aware of the lousy quality. Later I'll put some pictures for you guys to get a sense of it, lol. It's ridiculous!

• Like Like x 2
  4. In the 90's?
    My generation is familiar with brick weeds from the 70's. $100 a pound. Always had seeds, sometimes grassy and moist, sometimes dry as powder, sometimes moldy, sometimes skunky, sometimes smelled like a pile of fresh pine cones. If you ever got a lb of weed with red hairs (sensimillia- rare as a white tiger), it was bragging rights, and a source of amazment. It was fun to break down a brick, it was packed so tight and wrapped, sometimes tied. Could share a fattie with a friend and still function. I can hardley take one nice toke of contemperary flower. Im blessed with a low tolerance.......

Happy New Year

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  5. That should be acceptable. Composted Chicken Manure is what I use the most of to power my soil.
    Second up would be Kelp Meal or Alfalfa Meal. Both can be found as Horse Chow or Guinea Pig feed.
    If Horse chow be sure it doesn't contain a worming agent as some do. A handful of earth worms per Container will keep it healthy with a regular supply of Casting. Add EWC (Earth Worm Castings) to your initial mix if you can source them.

BNW

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It's not exactly the same thing. You may need to adjust your input of calcium as what you are suggesting should be pH neutral. Water moss is similar to sphagnum moss. "Sphagnum PEAT moss" has a lower pH than water moss or sphagnum moss.

This article may help.

https://besgrow.com/whats-the-diffe...eat Moss?-,The Environment,of soil or a swamp

7. Where are you located (country)?? We can find what you need. Ordering from China .... for soil amendments thats kinda crazy tbh unless you're in China maybe.

• Like Like x 3
  8. #15169 budfield, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    I live in Iceland :) @bobrown420
    So far I have:
    Compost- made od kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, shredded cardboard, fresh rabbit manure (local), leaves, moss (off of the rocks in woods), moldy and non moldy bark...
    To that compost i added 1 bag of organic
    soil improver (in apx. 1:1 ratio) that occurs during mushroom cultivation and contains Icelandic natural substances such as barley straw, reed, lime and cotton...
    I oredered wrong moss from China (posts above) now I reordered, hope this one is fine (please confirm guys):
    Hoffman 15503 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, 10 Quarts | eBay @TimJ

I have good local kelp source (Thorverk) waiting to come...
    I also have 2 granite plates that I need to figure out how to turn into dust/powder :mellow:

I need to choose aeration amendment based on the ingredients in the mix, what should I choose? Maybe diatomaceous earth?

And I am thinking about adding EWC to compost and leaf mold if I can make it. Also thinking about neem meal and greensand.

Compost is in the basement so I will probably have to bring it up to the apartment so it can finish cooking since it is too cold down in the basement, not icy but not 20°C either...

What u guys say?

Thanks for all the input, means a lot! :gc_rocks:

Edit: this is how compost look like, in a big bucket wrapped with blanket, in the basement. Need to check the temperature down there...
    20220227_125139.jpg 20220227_125149.jpg 20220227_125156.jpg 20220227_124958.jpg
    I am also looking for an idea on how to grind all the bigger parts inside compost, so it all becomes more uniform in particle size. Any thoughts?
    Edit 2: I just saw a little dark yellow spider inside compost, hope its not spidermite, maybe it is because of the temperature not being high enough for proper decomposting to take place, maybe I need to place some heat mats under compost bin?

• Like Like x 2
  9. #15170 TimJ, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    From what I've read the town of Neskaupstadir in Iceland has old peat bogs. If you happen to be in that area,I'd harvest my own or use leaf mold you made yourself. As for glacier rock dust, you should be able to find plenty where the glaciers are receding. Or in nearby small streams. Look for the finest powder, not the larger sand like particles. One of the benefits of organic living soil is the ability to source as much as we can locally. The peat moss you posted is fine. I've had luck breaking down charcoal in an old hand crank meat grinder. I do not use a sizing plate in it. I only use the stuffing star and it works very well. That may work for your compost as well. If you have access to hardware cloth, 1/2" hardware cloth works fine for screening compost. I hope some of this helps you out.

• Like Like x 4
  10. I started using a hand crank meat grinder like TimJ, its awesome. It will make that bark small no problem.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  11. Check if you can find local Peat Moss but that bag from Canada will do. As mentioned on the rock dust - should have plenty local - look for a stream bed with fine silt that looks like clay thats your stuff. For aeration - rice hulls (might be hard to find) per-lite what I use. Wont need greensand but its not gonna hurt.
    Whats your calcium source?

• Like Like x 4
  12. #15173 budfield, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    I was thinking oyster shell flour + dolomite lime (1:3), to take care of pH, Mg and Ca. But nobody will ship it to me (oyster) so i need to find another source.

What do u suggest (for calcium source)?
    I have only crushed egg shells in compost but it is not enough I think...

I am always using as much as I can of local goodies. Leaves and twigs, bark, rabbit shit balls, moss, that mushroom soil improver, granite...all local.
    I placed compost bin in the apartment next to the heater, hope it will speed it up. I see few gnats inside, and a little yellowish spider (i hope its not the spidermites??), i am thinking about adding diatomaceous earth as aeration amendment and to kill them gnats and spiders inside...

Thanks for all the info :weed:

13. On Ca sources check your local feed store. Chickens require extra Ca in their diet and its usually in the form of oyster shell flour for the hens and more coarse for the chicks.

Dont worry about bugs in your compost. The more the merrier. They die and leave chitin behind which is very good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. guys, I'm taking all the plants in my super organic soil. Do I need to feed them something or does the soil only do its job with water?

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. I am taking the plants that are in the flowering stage with banana FFJ (fermented fruit juice) + a compound called - Alquifish honey (*) - for 1x a week. Can this do any harm?

Description honey alquifish:

Alquifish Honey is the secret inside a little bottle.

Coming from the fermentation processes of seaweed, marine fish, crustacean shells and molasses, it has everything the organic grower could want. It has 17 different types of amino acids, which activate plant metabolism and increase soil chemical reactions. In addition to having an element that growers look for a lot, Chitin, present in the shell of crustaceans and also of insects and pests. This element awakens a defense reaction in plants, as they think they are suffering from pest attacks when detecting the presence of Chitin. Strengthening the plant's immune system and increasing resistance against attacks.

Technical information:

17 different types of amino acids;
    chitin;
    Rooting hormones;
    Molasses

[​IMG]
    my girls

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Growing organic indoor for me is a big chalenge, since I live in colder climate (Iceland) I have no option for classic compost, the temperatures are not high enough for proper decompostation to take place, it will never "cook". But why not VERMICOMPOST!?!?! I can have it under sink in kitchen and just produce until I have enough for 4 x 30L under 600hid :metal:
    What u guys think?
    :thankyou:

• Like Like x 3
  17. That should do just fine.

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  18. vermi-compost = winning
    Your local worms might be able to handle colder climates. If there are any woods take a walk and look for dead limbs on the ground. The worms will be under and around those old dead limbs. Also there will be worm castings there collect them in a bucket. There will be cocoons they will hatch when you take that inside and add it to your soil.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I will look for worms in the woods now that winter is slowly finishing. Thanks for the tips :)

• Like Like x 4