Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. It isn’t usually ever a matter of too much N, or too much anything in an organic garden -

Instead, it’s a matter of uncycled material - chicken manure that was too fresh etc - did you have some manure that was newer material mixed in?

J

• Like Like x 1
  2. hey girl. is mica schist rock dust ok? its the most local dust I can find. also did you ever talk about more amendments than page one (like a formula/recipe). I cant sift through 700 pages to find out.

3. This question is off topic but anyone deal with catippillars outside?if so what do you use to keep them at bay.they are pretty much inch worms.tried bt but didnt really do much.using combo of neem plus essential oils.seems to do ok.

4. "Safer's Soap with bt for catepillars" worked for me. Very eco friendly and should cover other ipm needs as well.
    cheers
    os

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Haven't used that particular combo ... yet, but will for the next BT application. I have both in concentrate form.

Even when I had access to some really esoteric poisons the BTk always gave me the best results and is my #1 Go To for caterpillars. It simply outperforms any other treatment.

Wet

6. Thinking of trying this recipe out. What would be the minimum pot size id run this in? Is 7 or 10 gallon smart pot too small?

7. Thinking of trying this recipe out. What would be the minimum pot size id run this in? Is 7 or 10 gallon smart pot too small?

8. So just whipped up some soil. Tell me what you guys think.
    3cf Dr.Earth Pot of Gold organic potting soil
    12 cups Azomite
    4 cups Alfalfa meal
    2 cups kelp meal
    2 cups homemade oyster/clam shell flour
    2 cups homemade crab shell meal
    2 cups store bought ewc
    4 cups store bought compost
    Need the ewc and compost for ACTs so i didnt have any to spare. Wish i could of added more. Still have to get an ACT brewing to inoculate this batch with some good microbes

9. I run this in 2 gallon dumb pots, even have a mystery houseplant growing in it in a half gallon pot, I don't think this soil has a minimum pot size, I will mention to modify the recipe though, change the 4 cups of rock dust to 1/2 cup per cf at the absolute most, that's a miscalculation from years past and is actually for a cubic yard (!) so do 1/4-1/2 cup rock dust per cubic foot and you're golden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. That should probablly be edited then lol

11. 2 gallons seems small. Are you using organic nutes on top of the mix? Or top dressing a lot? Using tons of act? Etc?

12. My last grow was water only, all the way through, never added anything, in 2 gallon pots, got around 6 1/2 oz (my 2nd grow ever). This current grow I'm using bat guano every other watering along with top-dressing earthworm castings, once I hit flower I'm adding sea bird guano for phosphorous. It's a wacky grow my father in law did in the 70s, I'm trying it out because my current grow is kind of a mess, and I hadn't decided on any parameters yet, I figured I'd try his method. :love-m3j:

13. I agree, lol, but I don't think InTheGarden even posts here anymore

14. that edit on rock dust is important. Do you remember which page someone brought up miscalculation etc? Thanks

15. I was under the impression that the more rock dust the better? I added 12 cups of Volcanic rock dust to 3cf of soil. Have I over done it? my readings through gc threads lead me to believe that rock dust not only provides necessary minerals but also provides an anchor for microbes to colonize and latch on to. If i added to much or if i misunderstood i would like to know for future uses. Thank you

16. Hey guys
    Can anyone help me or give me advice?
    I’m trying this recipe and i am from Canada.
    Can I substitute crab meal, neem meal?
    I can’t find them anywhere.

17. Crab meal primarily provides calcium, carbonate (to buffer soil acidity), and chitin (to stimulate a plant's natural pest defense). Dolomite lime will provide calcium, magnesium, and carbonate. Oyster shell will provide calcium and carbonate. You can get chitin from using malted barley, available from brewing stores/websites.

IMO, a good replacement for neem would be alfalfa meal. That should be pretty easy for you to source. Make sure to cycle your soil if you use the alfalfa.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I've got a question for anyone that may have ever used this to combat mold as a preventative measure. Baking soda and apple cider vinegar. If so does anyone have any ratios?

19. Use protekt as part of your IPM. If PM does show up, Gil Caradangs' apple cider vinegar/garlic/ginger recipe has served me well in the past.
    RD

20. Has anyone used the stonington blend from Com? I bought this while i am cooking my soil. Question is should i add dry fert to it, if so
    Do i need to wait for it to cook as well? This is the soil i have cooking, made 7.5 gal ,
    1/3 peat
    1/3 com lobster compost
    1/3 com ewc
    1.5 cups com kelp meal
    1.0 cup com stonington dry fert
    1.0 cup lime
    .50 cup seabird guano.
    4 cups granite stone dust

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app