Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Ok.i dont plan on using any essential oils in a tea if thats what you mean.or maybe im misunderstanding what your saying.

2. When I used to ask about "LIvestock molases" at the feed store, the kid would say "ya'all baiting bears? Ya want the 5 gallon bucket?"
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  3. Two completely different subjects. I was answering your question regarding EO and which ones you might use and for what. That document I posted has that information.

In regards to compost tea. Unless you scope, you don’t know what your brewing. This includes things you may not want in your garden.

Botanical tea - plant matter placed in water for a short period then applied. Like an Alfalfa/kelp/aloe tea. No compost involved.

4. Yeah once I read that PDF I understood little more what you're talking about. Sorry about that. Now would that go for earthworm castings to I would assume? Probably just better to stay with the plant-based to used to be on the safe side. Thanks again I really appreciate the input.

5. No problem.

I’d feel a little safer with a tea of EWC vs. compost but still wouldn’t do it unless I know what’s being produced in the way of microorganisms.

6. Gotcha.well then ill stick with just doing a botanical tea if necessary.and now with a botanical teas you just steep week or so correct.then dilute.

7. Usually 24hrs will suffice. If you do a worm bin or cold composting it becomes even simpler. You would just top dress, water in, and go on about your buisness. The humus is what drives this engine. The best you can create.

8. Now i read somewhere earthworms castings are a better option than the red wigglers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Red Wigglers are a type of worm that can produce castings KEEP READING you didn't read enough. Use the search function. Lots of very informational good threads posted here that are pure gold. The first thing I did after joining Grasscity was build a worm bin even before I touched my first seed or clone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well they both produce castings. But earth worms only eat the dirt they don't eat food scraps or plant material.earth worms eat the Fungi in the dirt or bacteria. But yes you're right they wouldn't work well for composting so the red wiggler would be a better choice. The earthworm would be more beneficial say for a vegetable garden. Thanks for the info though. I'll definitely do some more reading on the red wigglers and building a worm bin.

11. I'll second the "KEEP READING" sentiment.

Earthworms do NOT eat dirt and neither do RW's eat food scraps or plant material. Lacking jaws and teeth they really can't 'eat' anything. What both do is kinda slurp up bacterial and fungal slime from decomposing material, but not the material itself.

Make sense? Think of it like only being able to eat ice cream by slurping it up as it melts while not being able to eat what's left of the unmelted (two), scoops. The unmelted bit plays the part of the organic material that hasn't decomposed yet.
    Cheers

Wet

• Like Like x 5
  12. Sorry guess i should have said consume.

13. Just as PNWer said the tarp should be good for the moister, Uncover and turn from time to time and you should be good to go.

14. It will feed the whole way through, but I do make a Micro tea for the girls once every two weeks

15. #14435 Lawlerskates, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    I bought a bag of Bu's biodynamic compost tea. Do you think it would be worth using or could it be risky without knowing the microbial content? Would making aact with kelp and alfalfa be more beneficial than a simple topdress?

16. ILGM will.what does your micro tea consist of.just to be nosey.

17. I would straight up use that as the humus content in a soil mix. Bu’s compost gets good marks. I hope the quality remains consistent as he grows.

If you don’t scope and know how to identify the microbes in the tea, you don’t know what brewing. If you brew up some samonella and spray that on your plants, Is that something you want to ingest? Let alone share with others? Patients with compromised immune systems?

Sometimes you want quick delivery of compounds/nutrients/PGR the quickest way is via a foliar in a soil environment. If you want a slower release, a topdress would be a more appropriate.

AACT - compost tea
    Tea - botanicals

I wouldn’t make an AACT with kelp and alfalfa just a tea.

If your interested in the microbial aspect. Tim Wilson is (microbeman) and a vast resource. His posts are all over the internet, here at GC, and his website.
    Microbe Organics

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I use this

Veganic Special Sauce
    Microbial Tea and Inoculant 0.75 2.15 2,10 get it here Amazon

19. Check this out if i am reading this correctly(big IF), then Oregon State says the product does not have any microbes inside...

20. I have no idea on that...

I also use Super Tea Mix Or Super Bat Guano 0.5 - 0.5 - 0.01 Amazon